Is Oasis Worth the Money?

tbennett

Period end of story. We have our reasons for choosing cruising and wanted to know if Canada on Glory, Alaska on Solstice, or Caribbean on Oasis is most worth the money.

I think the better value to the Eastern Caribbean is the 8 nighter offered on one of the Freedom class ships...my favorite ship/itinerary.

In this case, I do not think the cruise ship should not be the determining factor in your decision. All three of those itineraries are so different that you need to decide where you want to go first. I have been to all three areas:

Here is my advice from least desirable to most:

1. Canada on Carnival - very mellow, no pool time, really, it is too cold. The ports aren't the best but it is really relaxing. Of course, of the three cruise lines you mentioned, Carnival is the most budget.

2. Caribbean on Oasis - never been on Oasis but have been to the Caribbean twice. As you probably know, the Oasis is supposed to be gigantic and doesn't really feel that crowded. It has an amazing selection of dining, activities etc and you would enjoy a beach and relaxing warm vacation. If my family wanted to try Oasis because it looks so great, I would certainly spend more and get a cheaper room. Yes, it would be worth it to me. You only live once!

3. Alaska on Solstice - My favorite pick of the three. Solstice is one of Celebrity's newest ships and it is quite grand! Alaska is unbelievably beautiful and our cruise there on the Summit was so elegant and relaxing. Of course, it was a relatively cold weather (70 degrees in August) cruise and nobody really used the pools. Some enjoyed the hot tubs. I felt that this cruise had the most incredible scenery from the moment you stepped on the ship until we arrived back in Seattle.

Do you like warm weather or cold weather? Would you prefer to see icebergs or beaches & palm trees? What time of year? Do you like to be really active or just chill? We've been on the Glory, Solstice and Allure (Oasis's sister ship). Each have their own personality. We have never been to Alaska, but I can tell you about the difference in the ships. Are you traveling by yourselves or with others that you have to consider?

The Allure had great late night comedy and I heard the karaoke was fun (we never went). The Allure also had the best entertainment overall of any cruise we have been on. There was plenty of nightlife, but also, several places you could go for quiet like central park. We were unsure when we booked the Allure on whether we would like such a large ship, but we were pleasantly surprised. So much so that we booked the Oasis for next year.

However, I must say that overall the Solstice is still my all time favorite ship. I don't know what it would be like for an Alaskan cruise, but the ship itself is beautifully sophisticated!

The Glory was fun and the crew really got the passengers involved in all of the activities. I think a Canadian cruise would be a little more laid back on the Carnival ship than the Caribbean, but that would be pure speculation on my part.

If you have any specific questions about the ships, I will be happy to try to answer them for you.

on the Solstice to keep younger cruisers happy?

Hubby and I are late 30s early 40s. We've sailed on Solstice for an 7 night Eastern Caribbean. Beautiful ship. Excellent service. But the sailing we were felt like we were gathered for a funeral:eek: mid afternoons out by the pool deck I nicknamed the afternoon nappy hour - jazz music playing instead of something upbeat or Caribbean. Evenings were pretty low key as well. We had kids with us so we didn't do late nights but I don't imagine anything was going on at midnight if there was nothing happening at 10pm. Our kids did not enjoy themselves either. But this could have just been the week we were there and may not be typical for all sailings.

If you're looking for nightlife as one of your top reasons I would go with RCI or Carnival. JMO

Wow I think it depends what you are looking for. I have been on the oaisis with my kids they love the boat things going on all the time till very late at night. I have also been on all but the newest solstice class ship and there fantastic but the entertainment isnt the best IMHO I do love the glass show. So I think it depends on what your looking for to me all the Cariben Islands are the same.

it is then, pending Wife's approval. Her vacation too, but I think she will go along with world class dining, Broadway entertainment, and luxurious amenities.

You may want to define to us what you expect on Oasis when you say Luxurious Amenities.:eek:

And, just so you understand, you will only experience "world class dining" if you eat in any of the Specialty Restaurants where there is an additional charge. I don't think you will find "world class dining" in the MDR. but I could be wrong.

In this case, I do not think the cruise ship should not be the determining factor in your decision. All three of those itineraries are so different that you need to decide where you want to go first. I have been to all three areas:

1. Canada on Carnival - very mellow, no pool time, really, it is too cold. The ports aren't the best but it is really relaxing. Of course, of the three cruise lines you mentioned, Carnival is the most budget.

2. Caribbean on Oasis - never been on Oasis but have been to the Caribbean twice. As you probably know, the Oasis is supposed to be gigantic and doesn't really feel that crowded. It has an amazing selection of dining, activities etc and you would enjoy a beach and relaxing warm vacation. If my family wanted to try Oasis because it looks so great, I would certainly spend more and get a cheaper room. Yes, it would be worth it to me. You only live once!

3. Alaska on Solstice - My favorite pick of the three. Solstice is one of Celebrity's newest ships and it is quite grand! Alaska is unbelievably beautiful and our cruise there on the Summit was so elegant and relaxing. Of course, it was a relatively cold weather (70 degrees in August) cruise and nobody really used the pools. Some enjoyed the hot tubs. I felt that this cruise had the most incredible scenery from the moment you stepped on the ship until we arrived back in Seattle.

Too cold is a very relative term. Mid 70's in maritimes is not what many people consider "cold"

The variety of entertainment, dining and activities has no equal. Also, the ship is so slick and modern-looking and innovative that it is a destination in itself.

Lastly, if you are a contemporary art lover, you eill be blown away by the huge amount of original art purchased for Oasis. It is like going to a museum but better as you also get other people to cook and clean for you for an entire week.

It depends on when you cruise in Canada. We did it in August and really enjoyed the pools. Not cool at all. As far as the Oasis class goes, just amazing

Period end of story. We have our reasons for choosing cruising and wanted to know if Canada on Glory, Alaska on Solstice, or Caribbean on Oasis is most worth the money.

Respectfully, I think your question is impossible to answer. The value of something really depends on what type of experience you are looking for.

We just returned from the Oasis 3 weeks ago. I wouldn't sail that class of ship again but plenty of my cruise friends love the ship. Different strokes for different folks.

I was on the Oasis in Feb 2012 and it was well worth the money even more so that we booked the Allure for May 2013 :)

I did not have any problems with the Oasis, sure a few times certain areas were crowded but for the most part everyone seemed to disaper fast. No real long waits in line or anything:rolleyes:

So to answer your question again yes its sure worth it

Don't really like the Carnival ships.

Alaska will not have the night life found on Caribbean cruises. I do like Celebrity and our next cruise is on the Solstice.

Oasis - is a great ship. So much to do and so little time .... Yes its worth the extra money.

As far as value - we picked one of the least expensive weeks to sail Oasis. There were oceanview balconies below 1000.00. Incredible ship. You'd be hard pressed to find so much to do and experience on a ship for the same money on any other line.

Archived