GSC in the Winter?

KJE Atlanta

We'll be at GSC in early January. Looks like average high temps that time of year are in the mid to upper 70s. Just wondering what people's experiences have been at GSC in the winter when it's a bit cooler?

Do people still swim and snorkel? Is everything up and running? We currently have a cabana reserved, but I'm wondering if we even need it since it's not likely to be too hot out.

Also, I heard and read on here that the slide on GSC was damaged by Sandy. Anyone know if the Hippo slide is back up and running yet? A 7 year old nephew is coming on the cruise with us and I don't want to talk up the slide if it's not operational yet.

Thanks.

We'll be at GSC in early January. Looks like average high temps that time of year are in the mid to upper 70s. Just wondering what people's experiences have been at GSC in the winter when it's a bit cooler?

Do people still swim and snorkel? Is everything up and running? We currently have a cabana reserved, but I'm wondering if we even need it since it's not likely to be too hot out.

Also, I heard and read on here that the slide on GSC was damaged by Sandy. Anyone know if the Hippo slide is back up and running yet? A 7 year old nephew is coming on the cruise with us and I don't want to talk up the slide if it's not operational yet.

Thanks.

GSC is wonderful in winter. I was there in January and it was a picture perfect day. Lots of snorkeling. The water is fine. A little cool but everyone is in the water. The only downside is that the ocean is more choppy in the winter around those islands. More ships are forced to skip GSC during this time.

I am sure the slide is back by now.

BTW, if the sun is out, it will be a hot day. The Bahamas are sort of immune from big cold fronts that even Miami gets. So I see no reason to think it will be too cold for a cabana.

Don't "talk up" the slide for a while.

It's completely out of commission . . . out of sight . . . and when I asked this past Thursday (while on Norwegian Sky) about its return, the answer didn't sound so promising. :(

Also, some of the effects of Sandy are still very much obvious.

Don't "talk up" the slide for a while.

It's completely out of commission . . . out of sight . . . and when I asked this past Thursday (while on Norwegian Sky) about its return, the answer didn't sound so promising. :(

Also, some of the effects of Sandy are still very much obvious.

Thanks. That's what I kinda thought. The cabana description, which used to say it included slide passes, now doesn't mention the slide at all (at least not for our January sailing).

What are some of the other noticeable Sandy effects?

. . . What are some of the other noticeable Sandy effects?

Lots, lots, lots of exposed rocks. A few of the beach areas did not (personally) feel safe at all, and people were having quite a bit of difficulty walking around those locations. The rocks were also puncturing some of the floats of people who got a bit too close while out in the water.

The walkway heading to the second section of beach (where the cabanas are) is pretty much non-existent now. An alternate path has been created going by that small residence and old shack.

It was sad to see the loss of so much that had been built-up quite nicely over the past year.

GSC%20Damage%201-L.jpg

GSC%20Damage%202-L.jpg

GSC%20Damage%203-L.jpg

Just there on Wednesday. The water felt a little cold at first but was very nice.

Do people still swim and snorkel? YES! Is everything up and running? As far as I know, just the hippo slide is gone. You will get an on board credit for that.

We currently have a cabana reserved, but I'm wondering if we even need it since it's not likely to be too hot out.

My group had 4 booked and we all loved them. 3 of 4 said they would do them again and the 4th only wouldn't because they are a very active family so they weren't in it enough to make it worth the price.

Thanks.

Besides the damage from the photos, the trees are all brown from the salt water. :(

wow we are going in 2 weeks on the Pearl. Hopefully there is still enough sand etc for us to have a good time and the weather is nice. Also, I was wondering, how is the food on the island as well as the drinks etc. Does your soda card work on the island?

Kelly

GSC is wonderful in winter. I was there in January and it was a picture perfect day. Lots of snorkeling. The water is fine. A little cool but everyone is in the water. The only downside is that the ocean is more choppy in the winter around those islands. More ships are forced to skip GSC during this time.

I am sure the slide is back by now.

BTW, if the sun is out, it will be a hot day. The Bahamas are sort of immune from big cold fronts that even Miami gets. So I see no reason to think it will be too cold for a cabana.

I swear, if we can't get to GSC on our cruise hubby will fit to be tied. He has yet, to visit a private island: We did RCI twice, shortly after thanksgiving; couldn't do the private island: did NCL the same time of the year: couldn't do GSC and did HAL the last week of Nove and couldn't get to the ptivate island. We were hoping Jan would be a little better. I have been to a couple of private islands, including GSC with our daughter.

wow we are going in 2 weeks on the Pearl. Hopefully there is still enough sand etc for us to have a good time and the weather is nice. Also, I was wondering, how is the food on the island as well as the drinks etc. Does your soda card work on the island?

Kelly

I don't know about the soda cards, but I am guessing they do work as the island is just what is says: nCLs private island. The food, when we were there was really good and we thought the island experience was great. It reminded me of a high school or college beach party picnic.

Kelly

All the food on the island come ashore from your ship and yes your soda card will work.

Archived