Clueless on Int'l flights - Help pls seasoned travelers?

true45

traveler916 & everyone,

When Oceania said 270 days for airline reservations, I thought it meant that is when they would tell me what my flights would be. I do understand final payment isn't until about 75 days b4 sailing. Am I correct that the only way to get flights b4 final payment is to pay that airline deviation fee or do your own air? And I do get it that economy plus means deviation.

Just getting a bad taste for Oceania based on what we were both told about the 270 days. I also thought Oceania would work with us as long as we weren't demanding specific flights or specific airlines and it didn't cost Oceania anything additional. Of course, we were willing to pay the economy plus difference if we could find those seats but not an extra $150 each time to Oceania.

Please do not get a bad taste for Oceania-your cruise will be wonderful.

Just the things before are a hassle but will be well worth it. I use a Canadian TA who books alot of cruises with Oceania and she says they can check on flights 330 days out. Per my T/A, Once we ask for a deviation, they will offer us something. Then we will go back to them and suggest a route we prefer and then they make the decision if they will do it for nothing extra or a charge. Then, we make the decision to accept what they say or ask for a credit for the free airfare and book our own. If you TA is good, she should help you with it.

As far as the hotels, I am one to want the easy way to travel-but save money if we can. I suggest you to a website where you can check different hotel pricing and see what it costs for the same days. Then call or e-mail the hotel and ask for them the name of a service that could pick you up at the airport and then take you to the ship when you are ready to board and call them and find the cost. That way, you get taken care of and maybe a lower cost. Also, one poster seems to know about that hotel in Venice and I think that the closer to the center of action and in a safe area, the better you may be. I find Trip Advisor or CC can help you find great hotels. Good luck and enjoy-you will love Oceania once you get on the ship!:D

Hi True45. I find the air deviation process confusing as well and you do get different answers given the circumstances. We are scheduled on our 6th Oceania cruise in April to Tahiti. We have never used Oceania air. We are fortunate in the respect that we live near a major air gateway and have been able to do very well booking our own air and taking the air credit in the past.

However. this trip is more complicated and we decided to use Oceania air and pay the deviation fee to come in early and stay later. We checked the available flights on line and the associated costs to book on our own and then requested our TA to contact Oceania. O keep telling her they weren't ready yet for the flights but we were well within the 270 days of the cruise. O uses charters for the flights to Tahiti if you do not deviate. I couldn't understand the delay since the deviation we requested was on scheduled air. O finally got back to our TA with the flights and up charge. They were charging the new increased deviation fee. My TA went back to O and said we were not paying the increased deviation fee since the request was made prior to the increase. O honored the lower fee. We have our flights and we have our seats and have not yet made final payment. We paid the deviation fee at the time we took it and the up charge goes on our invoice for final payment.

The point I am making is that there are times when you will get different information. I know that the cruise to Tahiti before ours is having similar difficulties with flights as well. Perhaps this is because it is a new location for O and they use charters.

It's extra work on your part but check out flights to your destination and the costs. Then find out out what O is going to charge (deviation plus upcharge if any). If they can do better than let O handle it. As others have said, it is much cheaper to book your own hotel and transportation to and from airport/pier/hotel and you have control of the area you wish to stay. There is great information of the Cruise Critic boards to help you decide.

You will have a great holiday. Enjoy.

LHT28, treasure4two, Terrier1 (hope I got that right)

Thank you --I know the cruise will be wonderful despite the confusion now. I ran into this on Celebrity a bit but the cruises are great. Sometimes the cruiseline agents have wrong info or present it wrong and add along my assumptions and the mess is created. Terrier thanks for saying that it is confusing because I was starting to think that it was only me. But I will look into changing to my own arrangements when I get back in Jan unless my travel agent gets lucky when she calls at that 270 mark. I feel grateful just to be going -- it'll be a great 45 anniversary to see where my husband's family is from in Italy and see Europe for the 1st time.

Linda

Most airlines open their schedules at 330 days out

When I go for big ticket award travel...ie international first class for 2 for tickes costing more than $20,000) I book 327 days out because the first several days of release are not offered at a saver rate.

About 3 to 5 days after the initial offering there is a short window of about 5 days where they are offered as a saver rate ,50,000 miles rather 100,000

Fly smart and cheap. I would not request an air devation going to Tahiti for example because the last leg is on a one class charter aircraft and there are no great seats to be had.

So its pointless to pay $250 or more just to get to LAX the charter departure point. Going to Rome I would because there is a strong possibility of Ailtalia being used and you do not want to be on one of their flights for love or money. ( you have heard of Italian jokes, well this is the flying version and it is on you)

When I go for big ticket award travel...ie international first class for 2 for tickes costing more than $20,000) I book 327 days out because the first several days of release are not offered at a saver rate.

About 3 to 5 days after the initial offering there is a short window of about 5 days where they are offered as a saver rate ,50,000 miles rather 100,000

Award miles you can get the schedules earlier than 330 days

I was talking about the regular scheduled air from most airlines

YMMV

This is my personal experience and suggestion:

Fly Rome to Venice, Sit on the right side for a reat view.

Get the hotel Regina, ( a starwood group) and smack dab off St Marks square and on the Grand Canal. A ;)fantastic location

Now, for your first taste of Venice, The hotel has a private launch that pulls into the airport. The hotel has a desk about 100 feet from the baggage claim and is staffed. They take your bags for you and wou walk another 200 feet to the waiting boat. Then a 25 min cruise into Venice, under the Rialto bridge, down the Grand canal to the hotels little slip.

The launch is a classic wood with polished finish and lace curtins and a private cabin for just you to sit or watch the world.

So its pointless to pay $250 or more just to get to LAX the charter departure point. Going to Rome I would because there is a strong possibility of Ailtalia being used and you do not want to be on one of their flights for love or money. ( you have heard of Italian jokes, well this is the flying version and it is on you)

We paid the deviation to come in 2 days early and stay 4 days later. We are on scheduled Air Tahiti Nui flights and not charters.

"As a person who flys a lot over seas let me add. ALL flights from the US are overnight From the east coast you looking at about 7-to 9 hours with 6 hours of time change. Most flights arrive between 0630 and 0900 depending on point of departure"

Hawaiidan,

With respect. Small correction....MOST flights from US are overnight. There are daylight flights from Boston, NY and Chicago to Heathrow, London that I know and I guess there could be others. Probably does not help OP going to Rome but they sure help me with jet lag.;)

I have taken United Airlines flight 922 leaving Dulles Airport Washington at 10:40am arriving London Heathrow at 10:00pm the same day

in 20 years of playing the system and at one time working for an airline,, I have never been able to get an award seat or even make a reservation on United,Lufthansa,Air Newzealand, Hawaiian,Singapore, JAL, Swiss, LOT, DAN, Contenintal, Thai, Korean, ANA.

Since the airlines in fact are not capable of reserving a seat more than 330 days out I can't see how it is possible to a get a reservation for an award when no one can get a reservation for anything.....? :rolleyes:

If some one telles you you have a reservation prior to that time it can only be made up and have no validity...

Award miles you can get the schedules earlier than 330 days

I was talking about the regular scheduled air from most airlines

YMMV

The word "get" is a strange word. Perhaps a caller can learn the schedule earlier than 330 days, but flights are not loaded into the computer until 330. Unless I can actually lock in a flight -- using miles or money -- there's a limit to how useful it is to know about flights in advance. Besides, it's easy to learn the schedule for upcoming flights. Simply use dummy dates on the same days you expect to travel and you'll be able to anticipate the flight schedule the dates of your actual trip.

Flora is in Rome. Hilton Molino Stucky is in Venice. My criticism of the Rome hotels applies to the Venice hotel. The Molino Stucky is a physically beautiful property; however, it is not located on the same island as the central attractions of Venice. Any time you want to visit Venice, you'll need to take the hotel's free shuttle. Although the longest ride is not long (only 15 minutes to San Marco) it only goes there once an hour on the hour. If you want to go between times, you would take the shuttle to the Zattare stop on southern end of Dursoduro and walk/use the vaporetto to get elsewhere.

I am not recommending against Oceania's hotels because of price. I'm basing my criticism exclusively on the fact that I love to be centrally located when I travel. YMMV

We stayed at the Molino Stiucky and it is indeed a beautiful and wonderful property. Being more central may be what you want, but we did not mind at the least the very nice walk to the vaporetto stop, and there were interesting restaurants and cafes along the way. We enjoyed exploring the back streets of the island (as well as those of the main island), which added to the enjoyment, and being not on the main island meant it was quiet and restful. Using the vaparetto is really a plus, if you get a multi-day pass to visit other areas such and Burano and Murano, well worth the small price. The hotel shuttle, which we used, is really too restrictive if you want to really experience the city. But you will be with locals and other tourists...to us a chance to experience something local...I recommend the vaparettos.

Are you overpaying to use Oceania to book it? Probably, but check out the prices on line at the Hilton site, including any special offers such as AAA or AARP (yes, there are modest discounts available for these organizations,as well as "senior" discounts). Transfers? Well, it's easy to get there from the dock, if you don't mind shuffling your own luggage, and transfers to the train or airport are easy too. You should check out the cost differential and factor in your own convenience expectations.

It really come down to what you want.

The word "get" is a strange word. Perhaps a caller can learn the schedule earlier than 330 days, but flights are not loaded into the computer until 330.

It may depend on your reward program

I can book as of today up to Dec 10th 2013 with Aeroplan points (356 days)

You have to check with your rewards program to see what their start date is

my last word on the topic

YMMV

Lyn

in 20 years of playing the system and at one time working for an airline,, I have never been able to get an award seat or even make a reservation on United,Lufthansa,Air Newzealand, Hawaiian,Singapore, JAL, Swiss, LOT, DAN, Contenintal, Thai, Korean, ANA.

Since the airlines in fact are not capable of reserving a seat more than 330 days out I can't see how it is possible to a get a reservation for an award when no one can get a reservation for anything.....? :rolleyes:

If some one telles you you have a reservation prior to that time it can only be made up and have no validity...

Hawaiian,

It was really easy to book United award tickets. I booked 2 business class tickets for LAX to BCN using miles on United.com for 12/18/13 on 12/17/12, 364 days ahead. I don't know if their policy has changed, but there were quite a few options to choose from.

Hawaiian,

It was really easy to book United award tickets. I booked 2 business class tickets for LAX to BCN using miles on United.com for 12/18/13 on 12/17/12, 364 days ahead. I don't know if their policy has changed, but there were quite a few options to choose from.

Policy has not changed. (From a 1K 2MM flier) -- Very easy to book Saver awards to MOST destinations.

Dan, I am flying Alitalia to Venice in a couple of months and you have frightened me!

If I scared you sorry, it is more of a warning it is just everyone I know who has flown Alitalia once ( to a man the only flew it once for a reason) has reported back their worst flying experience.... even when sitting in Business. This is a 9 to 10 hour flightfrom the east Check the seat pitch in coach...

Ok, lets for argument sake say I and all my friends are wrong.

If you go to frequent flyer talk and skytrax you will find reviews by others. They are not pretty Go to several other sources. This is far from a subjective reviews but highly Objective

The point is starting your vacation experience with having to endure lots of discomfort it going to color much of your trip... and dread of the return.

I hope it goes well if you cant change... but I would do everything to try

Merry Christmas

If I could change to ANY other carrier except Iberia, I would do so

Policy has not changed. (From a 1K 2MM flier) -- Very easy to book Saver awards to MOST destinations.

I could not book more than 330 even as a 1 K several years ago...

Up untill contential took over the reservation system you could always get saver seats first day out of the 330 day. However,recently I noticed a sneaky trend that for the first several days after release, only regular awards are available. Ihis is a change in the past few months

Thinking I missed the boat I booked award seats at the regular rate. 5 days later the same flight showed saver seats available... I called the service center and they re booked me and re credited the miles without charge

I mention this because it is a change in operations/tactics by "by the numbers Jeff" Who also is pulling 757 and 767s from LA and SFO routes to Hawaii and replace them with little 737-700's so as to squeeze the market with less seats ...supply and demand and limit up-grades to almost zero. ( going from 24 to 36 first class seats available to 8)

I could not book more than 330 even as a 1 K several years ago...

Up untill contential took over the reservation system you could always get saver seats first day out of the 330 day. However,recently I noticed a sneaky trend that for the first several days after release, only regular awards are available. Ihis is a change in the past few months

Thinking I missed the boat I booked award seats at the regular rate. 5 days later the same flight showed saver seats available... I called the service center and they re booked me and re credited the miles without charge

I mention this because it is a change in operations/tactics by "by the numbers Jeff" Who also is pulling 757 and 767s from LA and SFO routes to Hawaii and replace them with little 737-700's so as to squeeze the market with less seats ...supply and demand and limit up-grades to almost zero. ( going from 24 to 36 first class seats available to 8)

You are 100% right :) UA heavily restricts savers to SE Asia (SIN and HKG) and to Hawaii. Yes -- since "smiley Jeff" took over UA is just another name for Continental.

Yes -Savers have a strange habit a appearing around a week after you can first book the flight. Could have to do with Shares their reservation system as the seat maps are not down loaded until the same time. (1 week later)

This is the first time I have not been on the favored son list at UA...The rewards after Jeff screwed the whole system has not been worth renewing my position....at least i HAVE amou 900K in the bank Presently UAL charges 20,000 miles saver ( read $700) one way while First class in Hawaiian it is $450....... Go figure. Of course I only have flown 2.4 million miles with them.

Had a 10 yr cargo contract and flew all my employees on them.... But you know what the hell.

My last 3 flights from Hawaii to LAX have been cancelled with 6 to 8 hour delays due to equipment failure. ( sched at 1:30.... departs at 9:45.) :mad:

I was booked in first, last month and ended up I ended up in row 41 A. with another First class passenger.:eek: They gave us the finger and offered no refund...........ya'

Guess what I am going to do.

Archived