No steaks on Princess??

Murphey

We spent 36 days on the Crown in October and November. They definitely had steak on the menu

We sailed on the Crown in November....24 days back to back....steak was on the always available menu during the first 12 days, but was replaced by tri-tip the second half of the B2B. I believe steaks were offered twice on the rotating menu during our 24 days. I chose the steak option one night and was not impressed. I thought the prime rib was better.

Also of concern, escargot was not available except by special request. Boo.

Emerald last month had Tri-tip, and not the medallions. About twice a week steak was on the menu - Beef Wellington and Filet Mignon. When surf and turf came around, I just asked to leave off the surf.

I wish Princess would restore the always available steak.

My sister and brother-in-law just returned from a 14 day Panama Canal cruise on the Island. They said there was no more steak on the menu. Only the "tri tip" on the always available section. We are long time Princess cruisers and just can't believe it....Input anyone????

That`s suprising, jsut off the Caribbean Princess, sailed on the Ruby in Nov & March & the Crown in Jan all this yr & they all had the same 7 day menu on which I thought was an overabundance of beef. For what I remember, 1st day lunch sliced filet, dinner Prime rib, anoter day beef wellinton, last day n.y. strip & there were other nights also with beef. So whats the BEEF!!!

We sailed on the Crown in November....24 days back to back....steak was on the always available menu during the first 12 days, but was replaced by tri-tip the second half of the B2B. I believe steaks were offered twice on the rotating menu during our 24 days. I chose the steak option one night and was not impressed. I thought the prime rib was better.

Also of concern, escargot was not available except by special request. Boo.

I always have prime rib the first night. I'm so glad to hear it's still being served.

I wish Princess would restore the always available steak.

So do I. My wife is not crazy over beef and we do not have it that much at home. I look forward to it on a cruise. It is a treat for me.:D

That`s suprising, jsut off the Caribbean Princess, sailed on the Ruby in Nov & March & the Crown in Jan all this yr & they all had the same 7 day menu on which I thought was an overabundance of beef. For what I remember, 1st day lunch sliced filet, dinner Prime rib, anoter day beef wellinton, last day n.y. strip & there were other nights also with beef. So whats the BEEF!!!
The "beef" is that there used to be the option of tenderloin medallions every night. Yes, it's all beef but I for one do not like prime rib, beef Wellington, NY strip or tri-tips. I won't order or eat them. They are not the same as a tenderloin any more than white turkey breast is the same as a wing.

We cruise HAL, Celebrity and Princess (pick based on itinerary and cost) and IMHO the beef in the MDR on Princess is the lowest quality of the three. However I think Princess does the best job with seafood. Other than the prime rib I usually stay away from the steaks in the MDR on Princess.

We cruise HAL, Celebrity and Princess (pick based on itinerary and cost) and IMHO the beef in the MDR on Princess is the lowest quality of the three. However I think Princess does the best job with seafood. Other than the prime rib I usually stay away from the steaks in the MDR on Princess.

And the best Fettucini Alfredo. My DW hopes it is still on the everyday menu. Is it?

I'm always thinking I'm too critical of cruise ship food and that, reading all the time how Princess food is so good, I'm the only one who doesn't care for the steak in the MDR.

Our last 7 night cruise, we ate in Chops a couple nights, but went to the dining room the last night. I don't remember what cuts of meat I had, but in Chops I barely needed my knife and the meat almost melted in my mouth, in the dining room I needed a hacksaw and felt like I was a cow chewing my cud. Thank goodness there was plenty of other food for me to fill up on my plate, after two bites I couldn't take it any longer.

Other than those comments, I have no idea if Princess has eliminated steaks or not, so sorry to the OP for not answering your question.

And the best Fettucini Alfredo. My DW hopes it is still on the everyday menu. Is it?

It was there everyday on my recent cruise on the Island Princess, and you could order it as an appetizer or as the entree.

I also found all the beef I had on that cruise to be very tender, tasty, and cooked like I ordered it.

I'm always thinking I'm too critical of cruise ship food and that, reading all the time how Princess food is so good, I'm the only one who doesn't care for the steak in the MDR.

Our last 7 night cruise, we ate in Chops a couple nights, but went to the dining room the last night. I don't remember what cuts of meat I had, but in Chops I barely needed my knife and the meat almost melted in my mouth, in the dining room I needed a hacksaw and felt like I was a cow chewing my cud. Thank goodness there was plenty of other food for me to fill up on my plate, after two bites I couldn't take it any longer.

Other than those comments, I have no idea if Princess has eliminated steaks or not, so sorry to the OP for not answering your question.

:p Totally Agree! Steaks in the MDR are awful!

OP .... Yes, there is beef in the MDR on Pricess ... but to get GOOD steaks, you really do need to go to a $peciality restaruant.

LuLu

~~~~

:p Totally Agree! Steaks in the MDR are awful!

OP .... Yes, there is beef in the MDR on Pricess ... but to get GOOD steaks, you really do need to go to a $peciality restaruant.

LuLu

~~~~

All the beef I had on the Island Princess was in the MDR, and it was very good, tender, and tasty. Could this be different on the various ships in the fleet ?

Our last 7 night cruise, we ate in Chops a couple nights, but went to the dining room the last night.

I'm a little confused. There's no "Chops" on any Princess ship. Are you comparing Princess to another line or posting your experience on another line?

That was my reaction on the Island Princess. We wound up making special requests every night. I didn't think to pre-order a tenderloin but I plan to in February.

Is it possible to special order the medallions? My DH chose the medallions most evenings on our prior cruises and will sorely miss the medallions on the anytime menu. How do you approach pre ordering?

Is it possible to special order the medallions? My DH chose the medallions most evenings on our prior cruises and will sorely miss the medallions on the anytime menu. How do you approach pre ordering?
I haven't (yet) but don't see why you can't. Just ask your waitstaff to get the Head Waiter. He will take your order as long as it's reasonable. It must be ordered 24 hours before. This goes for breakfast, lunch or dinner. For instance, you can pre-order eggs Benedict. I often special request a chef's or other type of salad for my entree.

I'm disappointed that the beef tenderloins are no longer available on the "always available" side of the menu. I used to ask for just one, not two, and almost always, they told me I had to have two. I know it's plated like that in the kitchen but what a waste. I wish there'd been the option for just one.

I'm a little confused. There's no "Chops" on any Princess ship. Are you comparing Princess to another line or posting your experience on another line?

You're right, Chops is on RCI ships, it was what, Crown Grill on Princess? At least I know it was definitely a Princess ship, Sapphire Princess last April. On our September cruise I did not order a steak in the dining room...I don't think we even went to the dining room on that cruise.

Correction, Sterling Steakhouse. Crown Grill was in Sept. on The Golden.

You're right, Chops is on RCI ships, it was what, Crown Grill on Princess? At least I know it was definitely a Princess ship, Sapphire Princess last April. On our September cruise I did not order a steak in the dining room...I don't think we even went to the dining room on that cruise.

Correction, Sterling Steakhouse. Crown Grill was in Sept. on The Golden.

On the Sapphire, it's the Sterling Steakhouse which is similar to the Crown Grill but is not the same.

On the Sapphire, it's the Sterling Steakhouse which is similar to the Crown Grill but is not the same.

Yes, I've been in both of them. I think I liked Crown Grill a bit better for ambience, since it is built as a restaurant instead of a sectioned off area of the buffet. We've eaten at the Sterling Steakhouse all 3 times we've cruised on Sapphire. We ate 3 times in the Crown Grill on Golden during our last little cruise...it was only a 4 night cruise, so I guess we liked it better than Sabatinis :p Didn't set foot in the main dining room that time.

I see:

Prime Rib

Beef Tenderloin Medallions

Surf & Turf w/ Filet (you can always say no shrimp)

Remember--you can always order 2!!

If I have steak, it is always filet. But Princess filets are definitely sub-par. But we did love the one in Crown Grill (though Crown Grill lobster was horrid).

Fettucine Alfredo is nightly now--OMG, I will gain 5 lbs. alone on that amazing pasta, and I am not a huge pasta fan nor a huge alfredo fan!!

As for the "limited menu" I am confused--we have sailed 3 lines, 5 ships & I have never seen particularly more entrees. I see 6 new entrees each night PLUS 4 every night options, (chicken, salmon, burger & tri tip). DCL & RCCL seem to have chicken, salmon & steak. But for a gal who likes medium rare, ordering on a ship of thousands is risky--overdone is to be expected. The beauty of the tri tip is that low & slow produces a tender, juicy product & it isn't sensitive to timing. And I know some people who really want nothing more adventurous than a burger or chicken...(NOT ME!:p)

I haven't (yet) but don't see why you can't. Just ask your waitstaff to get the Head Waiter. He will take your order as long as it's reasonable. It must be ordered 24 hours before. This goes for breakfast, lunch or dinner. For instance, you can pre-order eggs Benedict. I often special request a chef's or other type of salad for my entree.

I'm disappointed that the beef tenderloins are no longer available on the "always available" side of the menu. I used to ask for just one, not two, and almost always, they told me I had to have two. I know it's plated like that in the kitchen but what a waste. I wish there'd been the option for just one.

Thanks Pam. Hopefully you can let us know how the special request goes after your next cruise. When do you sail next? If it works for you, we'll give it a shot.

I see:

Prime Rib

Beef Tenderloin Medallions

Surf & Turf w/ Filet (you can always say no shrimp)

Remember--you can always order 2!!

If I have steak, it is always filet. But Princess filets are definitely sub-par. But we did love the one in Crown Grill (though Crown Grill lobster was horrid).

Fettucine Alfredo is nightly now--OMG, I will gain 5 lbs. alone on that amazing pasta, and I am not a huge pasta fan nor a huge alfredo fan!!

As for the "limited menu" I am confused--we have sailed 3 lines, 5 ships & I have never seen particularly more entrees. I see 6 new entrees each night PLUS 4 every night options, (chicken, salmon, burger & tri tip). DCL & RCCL seem to have chicken, salmon & steak. But for a gal who likes medium rare, ordering on a ship of thousands is risky--overdone is to be expected. The beauty of the tri tip is that low & slow produces a tender, juicy product & it isn't sensitive to timing. And I know some people who really want nothing more adventurous than a burger or chicken...(NOT ME!:p)

Not on the Crown. My tri tip was anything but tender and juicy. I tried it once and moved on. It was tough and tasteless. Too many other options.

On our cruise Nov.17 on the Caribbean the menus have changed and not for the good.

This was the first time my husband did not want a future cruise credit. It was because of 2 things....the food change and the entertainment.

We have always thought Princess the best line till now. There have been other changes over the years but nothing to keep us from cruising princess.( Not that we wouldn't cruise Princess again) But the changes in food was something we can not over look.

I'd rather pay more and have better food and entertainment. We always enjoyed the comics in the explorer lounge. Now they just have those games showps everynight. Which I like to see a few but not just that everynight.

So with this said we are looking for something that will meet our needs. With all the lines cutting everything I think we will have a job on our hands.

Really wish Princess will reconsider and go back to the other menus or meet 1/2 way. Mmmmo

My sister and brother-in-law just returned from a 14 day Panama Canal cruise on the Island. They said there was no more steak on the menu. Only the "tri tip" on the always available section. We are long time Princess cruisers and just can't believe it....Input anyone????

we just returned from a 14 day to Hawaii... there was steak on the menu at least four times. on the new menu, I believe tri tip is on the menu daily

:rolleyes: Even when steaks are offered in the MDR, doesn't mean you'd enjoy eating them.

We always factor in going to $peciality restraurants for steaks and better food quite a few times on cruises. No big problem ... just the way things are now.

LuLu

~~~~

Archived