First Trip to NZ Wellington Help please

I apologize if this is not where to ask this question but I would really like some help. We will be arriving in Wellington on Radiance of Seas. We plan on doing the following on our own and we would like advice on which order we should start and the order in which you would advise doing in order to maximize our day. We also don't know how close any of these places are to the cruise terminal.

Te Papa,Cable car & Botanic Gardens, Mount Victoria, Cuba St, Oriental Bay.

Thank you

Cottagemama

Te Papa and the Cable Car and the Botanic Garden for sure. I am not acquainted with the other three that you mentioned.

One could spend the entire day at Te Papa. While some would say getting to Te Papa is walkable from the cruise ship pier, I would recommend some form of public transportation. It will save you time and energy.

I apologize if this is not where to ask this question but I would really like some help. We will be arriving in Wellington on Radiance of Seas. We plan on doing the following on our own and we would like advice on which order we should start and the order in which you would advise doing in order to maximize our day. We also don't know how close any of these places are to the cruise terminal.

Thank you

Cottagemama

Hi,

We have been to Wellington numerous times, via both land and sea. It is my favourite city in NZ. I could easily live there. If you download a map or go to google maps, you will see the cable car leads directly to the Botanical Gardens. I would prob do this section last. Oriental Bay is an easy flat walk around the bay from the ship. Allow at least 40 mins. Lots to look at along the way. From there you could walk back via Cuba Street, have lunch at one of the many eating places here. The Irish Pub is great for meals. Great area for people watching. Then keep going to Te Papa...then as I said do the cable car etc. As for Mt Victoria....it is situated behind the Oriental Bay area, but quite inaccessible via foot. If you wished to see this (and it is well worth it for the views), I suggest you catch a bus. There is an i site, tourist info centre, near Te Papa. They will direct you to buses etc.

Another idea is to head directly to this i site, and book a tour of the city and surrounds. You will get one for approx $50pp, and see all of the above plus much more. There are many companies that do these tours throughout the day.

When we arrived on Radiance last year it was early in the morning so we caught the bus (local bus organised by the Port Authority - I think it was $10 round trip) from the dock (the ship dock up past the Westpac Stadium) to the city centre and was dropped off next to the Cable Car so caught the earliest car to the top walked through the Botanical Gardens to the Early Settlers Memorial Park crossed the free-way and walked past the Government Buildings back to the dock area. As it was a Saturday the Frank Kitts Park markets where on, then to Te Papa Museum which is worth more than a day.

We didn't go to your other destinations but Oriental Bay is further around the bay from the museum.

We walked the shops and later in the afternoon caught the bus back to Radiance.

Our reason for his route was our walk was down hill and then on the level docklands area.

When we arrived on Radiance last year it was early in the morning so we caught the bus (local bus organised by the Port Authority - I think it was $10 round trip) from the dock (the ship dock up past the Westpac Stadium) to the city centre and was dropped off next to the Cable Car so caught the earliest car to the top walked through the Botanical Gardens to the Early Settlers Memorial Park crossed the free-way and walked past the Government Buildings back to the dock area. As it was a Saturday the Frank Kitts Park markets where on, then to Te Papa Museum which is worth more than a day.

We didn't go to your other destinations but Oriental Bay is further around the bay from the museum.

We walked the shops and later in the afternoon caught the bus back to Radiance.

Our reason for his route was our walk was down hill and then on the level docklands area.

That sounds a good plan to me. :)

Thank you

Cottagemama

Kia ora,

I lived in Wellington for many years and used to cover all the above in a lunch-time run. With the exception of Mount Victoria, which provides good views over much of the city, they are all an easy walk. As others have commented, if you catch the cable car and walk down it is all down hill or on the flat. It doesn't really matter which order you do it in. My suggestion would be from the ship to walk alongside wharf/harbour to Te Papa. You will see Oriental Bay close by so you could go to Cuba Street from Oriental Bay. You will see Mount Victoria from Te Papa/Oriental Bay and if you have the time and fitness may wish to tackle the climb up but my suggestion would be to consider a taxi. From Cuba Street it is a short walk along to the Cable Car entrance in Lambton Quay. From the top of the Cable Car (good views at the top) you could stroll back through the Botanical Gardens, with a possible stop at the tea-rooms, before walking down past The NZ Parliament Buildings (how many other countries can you stroll around Parliament Grounds without being accosted by armed guards?). From there it is a short walk back to your ship, which should be in sight shortly after you leave Parliament (known locally as the bee hive on account of its shape).

Aquarians

You have to be very strict with your time , on your visit to Te Pa Pa Museum.

If you are not careful , you could easily spend all day there , as there are so many fascinating things to see and do.....and the rest of Wellington awaits.:D:D

We also don't know how close any of these places are to the cruise terminal.

Thank you

Cottagemama

Last week we were there on a Princess ship - there were shuttle buses to one of the main department stores - not far from the Cable Car. Cost of shuttle was $10 return (either A$, NZ$, US$) my hubby walked into town and back as he thought it wasn't far. iSite were handing maps out on the dock. We walked to the cable car, then looked around up the top, walked back down via the easier walk thru the Botanical Gardens (walked along The Terrace and took small walkway to get back to Lambton Quay , around to Cuba St then on to Te Papa then shuttle back to the ship. Te Papa was good and worth spending at least an hour but have a look at the map of it and decide what you want to see when you first walk into it.

Sorry I can't help with Oriental Bay or Mt Victoria - but there is a few city tours available at the wharf or once you get to the isite - shuttle went there first before letting us off in Brandon Street.

Hope the weather is as good as we had - The Sounds (Fiords) were definitely worth seeing.

On one of our visits into Wellington we hired a van for our group of friends and went for a day trip around the area. We also went to Mt Victoria. From there we had a good view of the city, but I wouldn't say it was the highlight of our visit. The highlight (on another visit to Wellington) was probably Te Papa.

Cottage Mama

The other thing to think about is on your cruise roll call - see what others want to do and maybe you can get enough others on it to look at organising the hire of a vehicle and driver for the day. Several on our roll call did this for some of the places.

Archived