What does carnival have against...

AFuncruiser

I am a platinum cruiser and stock holder with Carnival Cruise line Corp. Can anyone please tell me what does Carnival have against front facing lounges on their Carnival ships?

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

520 days at sea

45 cruises

12 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon, Alaska

I am a platinum cruiser and stock holder with Carnival Cruise line Corp. Can anyone please tell me what does Carnival have against front facing lounges on their Carnival ships?

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

520 days at sea

45 cruises

12 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon, Alaska

Having cabins there is more lucrative?

I agree with the PP about the revenue. Those forward facing cabins go for a premium price and quickly sell out.

On most Carnival ships decks 1 and 2 have porthole cabins, decks 3,4 and 5 are the main show lounge, deck 6 and 7 have the expensive 4J cabins, deck 8 is the bridge and all other upper decks are open air decks.

So there are places to go to have a forward view, one of my favorite places are what we call the secret decks on 6 and 7 where you can go outside and have a nice view as you are pulling into port.

Since money and revenue guides everything in business, I would think,, maybe

1) Front facing cabins generate more revenue?

or maybe

2) Maybe front facing lounge is more expensive to engineer and build?

or maybe

3) their customer feedback doesn't indicate this is something their customer base wants?

I would doubt that their business decision is because they "have something against" the idea.

Expensive 4J cabins! Compared to what? They are cheaper than oceanview and are considered inside cabins. We have booked them several times and consider them a great value. Nice picture window with easy access to a somewhat private deck for an inside cabin price.

I've been on ships where there is a lounge on the upper decks that face front and I've liked them. It's nice to have an interior lounge to view the port from, and I'm aware of the buffet on Carnival, but it's mid ship and doesn't offer a panoramic view. It's nice to have a place to sit and relax as you're coming into or leaving a port.

I am a platinum cruiser and stock holder with Carnival Cruise line Corp.

Unfortunately, it's going to take more than having sailed on Carnival a few times and a handful of stock for Carnival to put too much weight on your suggestion.

As others have mentioned, Carnival wants to maximize space usage by adding cabins wherever possible, not lounges that will not generate any revenue (take a look at the "new" Carnival Sunshine. Carnival got rid of even more lounges in favor of cabins). If you want forward facing lounges, you'll need to sail on other cruise lines that charge more but which allows them to stuff less people on a ship.

I've been on ships where there is a lounge on the upper decks that face front and I've liked them. It's nice to have an interior lounge to view the port from, and I'm aware of the buffet on Carnival, but it's mid ship and doesn't offer a panoramic view. It's nice to have a place to sit and relax as you're coming into or leaving a port.

I was on a Trans Atlantic cruise a few weeks ago and I could have sailed across with the new Carnival BREEZE enjoying my platinum benefits but instead chose a Royal Caribbean ship because of their "crown room" front facing lounge. I sail this Friday on Carnival’s old Fascination out of Jacksonville and while I enjoy all the first time cruisers and their happy attitudes I will miss spending a good deal of time in a front facing lounge..

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

520 days at sea

45 cruises

12 cruise lines

I was on a Trans Atlantic cruise a few weeks ago and I could have sailed across with the new Carnival BREEZE enjoying my platinum benefits but instead chose a Royal Caribbean ship because of their "crown room" front facing lounge. I sail this Friday on Carnival’s old Fascination out of Jacksonville and while I enjoy all the first time cruisers and their happy attitudes I will miss spending a good deal of time in a front facing lounge..

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

520 days at sea

45 cruises

12 cruise lines

Fascination was my first cruise! It was on the 2nd day that I knew I was hooked on cruising. We were seated with veteran cruisers at dinner who helped us out and now we try to return the favor. I just turned platinum on my last cruise and my bf is a stock holder.

This is OT but, I see you went to Alaska, what cruise line did you take? We are thinking about an Alaskan cruise and are trying to determine what ship is best.

Expensive 4J cabins! Compared to what? They are cheaper than oceanview and are considered inside cabins. We have booked them several times and consider them a great value. Nice picture window with easy access to a somewhat private deck for an inside cabin price.

Yep, had one...highest inside category (not including IS) and less expensive than the lowest category of OV. Not possible to actually see the water from these though - view is entirely blocked by the hull.

Fascination was my first cruise! It was on the 2nd day that I knew I was hooked on cruising. We were seated with veteran cruisers at dinner who helped us out and now we try to return the favor. I just turned platinum on my last cruise and my bf is a stock holder.

This is OT but, I see you went to Alaska, what cruise line did you take? We are thinking about an Alaskan cruise and are trying to determine what ship is best.

Congratulations on your platinum status.. My Alaskan trip was on Holland American’s Westerdam. Incidentally all Holland American ships have a front facing lounge called the Crows Nest a great place to be when cruising Alaska. Does your boyfriend who is a stockholder know about the Stockholder benefits.

Dennis

520 days at sea

45 cruises

12 cruise lines

Congratulations on your platinum status.. My Alaskan trip was on Holland American’s Westerdam. Incidentally all Holland American ships have a front facing lounge called the Crows Nest a great place to be when cruising Alaska. Does your boyfriend who is a stockholder know about the Stockholder benefits.

Dennis

520 days at sea

45 cruises

12 cruise lines

Thanks, we were thinking of cruising HAL for Alaska, we were on the Veendam in August and liked the Crows Nest. Yes, we get the Stockholder benefits each cruise we take, we like that you can get it on any CCL corporate owned ship.

For front facing views in comfortable cushioned couches/chairs with refreshing lemoned water and hot tea, the relaxation room on the new Breeze Cloud 9 Spa is fantastic! Beats the side view smaller version on the Dream that's for sure.

You can also rearrange a couple of the clamshells on the Serenity to face forward, but you don't get quite the same view because of the opaque deck railing partitions.

Forward facing decks can be very windy when the ship is moving so any spot needs a wind break. This can detract from the design, unless fully enclosed. But I do tend to agree with others here in that the use of forward facing areas as cabins versus open decks/lounges is much more lucrative froma corporate viewpoint.

Archived