Questions about 7 mile beach, access, and getting to

baskyy

i think i found my answers...!

Hello everyone! i'm knew to the board :o. i am going to be in the Cayman Islands and i don't want to do the RC excursion to the 7 mile beach because it's WAY too short of a time and too much $$$.

i had a couple of questions:

• how far away is the beach from the port?
  • Once i get there, are their cabs that wait around the area to take us back to the port?
  • What is the bus route and is it easy?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!! SO excited!!!!

how far away is the beach from the port?

Seven Mile Beach is actually five and a half miles of sand. George Town, where the tender boats take you ashore, is about 1.5 miles south of the southernmost part of the beach of interest to tourists. Many go further down the beach, but it is only a few minutes more.

Once i get there, are their cabs that wait around the area to take us back to the port?

There are taxis at many of the popular beach locations or you can cross West Bay Rd and waive down a passing bus for the return trip to George Town.

What is the bus route and is it easy?

There are two different routes that connect George Town with the district of West Bay. Both routes drive the entire length of Seven Mile Beach. The bus depot in George Town is next to the public library in Edward St, about two blocks inland from the piers.

Buses (and many taxis) are large passenger vans. They accept US or CI cash. It should cost about CI$2 (or US$2.50) per person, each way, for travel by bus from George Town to Seven Mile Beach.

Buses are not permitted to drop off or pick up right at the port. Taxis are licensed differently and can service the piers directly, though taxis cost more.

Buses are right across the street from the dock...$2.50 pp...easy! Tell them when to let you off...the beach runs from the dock area down the coastline...lilke the previous poster said....5 1/2 miles...it's NOT 7 miles long, despite the name! There are restrooms along the beach area.....chair and umbrella rentals and watersport rentals.

You do NOT need to pay for a ship's excursion to enjoy a beach day at GC. All beaches are PUBLIC and FREE! The buses will be at all access points for the return trip...no worries!

How long does it take to go the full 5 1/2 miles? Does the busdriver know where the stops are to just rent chairs that has bathroom facilities or do you have to go to the popular places like Royal Palm, Seagrape or Tiki? Would the cost for rental chairs be the same?

How long does it take to go the full 5 1/2 miles? Does the busdriver know where the stops are to just rent chairs that has bathroom facilities or do you have to go to the popular places like Royal Palm, Seagrape or Tiki? Would the cost for rental chairs be the same?

Are you trying to walk along the 5.5 miles of beach or take a taxi/bus to your chosen spot? By vehicle, it's maybe 10-15 minutes, sometimes more, depending on traffic and what part of the beach you're going to. I've never tried to walk the whole length, so I guess that would depend on your walking speed.

The stops that rent chairs and have restrooms ARE generally the popular places like the ones you mention. Most other areas of the beach are lined with hotels or condos, or they're undeveloped sections like Governors Beach or Cemetary Beach that have no facilities or rentals.

Archived