Niew Amsterdam Grand Turk on 12/04/12

emmacruises00

We were on the Carnival Breeze, supposed to dock in Grand Turk on 12/04/12. We were woke up at 6:15 A.M. to hear that the wind and seas were too rough, and that the captain was unsuccessful in docking the ship. We had heard that the Breeze missed a lot of her Europe ports too, but thought that the Caribbean was a totally different ball game. We had an additional day at sea, with perfect weather and calm seas. I know that the Niew Amsterdam was supposed to be in Grand Turk that day also, so we were trying to figure out if the captain was just scared to dock the new ship in any questionable conditions, or if the weather was really bad.

Thanks!

Emma

Grand Turk is a very nice cruise port, but everyone should understand that the pier latterly sticks out into the surrounding sea and has no wind shelter from a harborage. Keep in mind that the high-profile of a cruise ship acts as a sail in high winds, and no amount of thruster supported maneuvering could overcome unpredictable high winds at this port to allow safe docking or when there is obsessive swell causing too much motion against the pier.

Likewise, any port of call where tendering is required could easily be cancelled by high winds or swell - the ship itself will be fine, but the tenders have too much motion against the side of the ship to allow safe boarding.

The caribbean is subject to winter cold fronts similar to the ones we get in Florida, that are accompanied by sustained gusty wind conditions (even with clear sunny skies), which make ports that require tenders (Half Moon Cay and others) and have unsheltered piers like Grand Turk problematic.

I am just off the Noordam from this past week and Samana was problematic for those of us who made it to shore because of gusty winds causing excess swell.

That's what I was wondering. This was only our second trip to Grand Turk, after falling in love with the port on the Destiny, so we had no idea. Destiny is much smaller than Breeze, though. Gee, I can't imagine trying to fit her through something that the Niew Amsterdam had to miss! I guess it was impressive that the captain even attempted to dock!

It is not uncommon to miss that port. When it is safe to dock, great but it shouldn't be shocking if a Captain refuses and sails away. We read often on here it was too windy and not safe for the ships to dock.

Sorry for your disappointment.

We were supposed to stop at Grand Turk on December 4th as well, when we were aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam - on the same cruise as RandyinDEN.

We were notified on the prior afternoon that we wouldn't be stopping due to weather/wind. We were refunded our port fee (around $14.00/cabin, I believe).

We were surprised that the next morning turned out to be a beautiful day. I realize that we were likely in a different area of the Caribbean, and I have NO IDEA what constitutes "high winds" for a ship captain... but, I expected higher waves and stronger winds. Either way, it was a beautiful day at sea, so we were fine with the decision.

I thought it might help to show a picture from Google Earth that shows an overhead of the cruiseport pier. You can see what others are referencing in this thread. They cut out a "cavern" for the ship to navigate through in order to safely dock.... and you can see, there is little room for error - especially in high winds/seas.

Hope this helps!

tc-M.jpg

We were supposed to stop at Grand Turk on December 4th as well, when we were aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam - on the same cruise as RandyinDEN.

We were notified on the prior afternoon that we wouldn't be stopping due to weather/wind. We were refunded our port fee (around $14.00/cabin, I believe).

We were surprised that the next morning turned out to be a beautiful day. I realize that we were likely in a different area of the Caribbean, and I have NO IDEA what constitutes "high winds" for a ship captain... but, I expected higher waves and stronger winds. Either way, it was a beautiful day at sea, so we were fine with the decision.

I thought it might help to show a picture from Google Earth that shows an overhead of the cruiseport pier. You can see what others are referencing in this thread. They cut out a "cavern" for the ship to navigate through in order to safely dock.... and you can see, there is little room for error - especially in high winds/seas.

Hope this helps!

tc-M.jpg

Great picture

Thank your for sharing it.

Interesting photo, for sure, but I am confused.

Is someone saying they cut a living reef to make an entrance for cruise ships to come into the pier? They Cut

a REEF? :eek: I so hope I misunderstand.

It was explained to us that the company hired by Carnival to make the dock had to literally blast through the reef.

It was explained to us that the company hired by Carnival to make the dock had to literally blast through the reef.

IF, IF that is true, it makes me sad to have a living reef damaged in that way. Of course, we don't know if that reef is living.

Of course, not everything one is told is always accurate.

We've been told all sorts of things that did not turn out to be true.

Archived