On a Scale of One to Ten......

sail7seas

How annoyed or displeased do you have to be to feel you need to write to Seattle to express your displeasure with something that happened either during your planning stage for your cruise or while aboard?

Do you write after every cruise telling the good and the 'not so good'?

Do you write every other cruise?

I'm really interested how much communication we provide Seattle Offices with our comments.

Thanks. :)

Never. By the time a vacation is over, it is over. We don't go in expecting 100% perfection and are quite satisfied if 80% of everything goes right. We also express our satisfaction by signing up for another HAL cruise.

How annoyed or displeased do you have to be to feel you need to write to Seattle to express your displeasure with something that happened either during your planning stage for your cruise or while aboard? 1 being worse, 10 being best, it would have to be 1.

Do you write after every cruise telling the good and the 'not so good'? No

Do you write every other cruise? No

I'm really interested how much communication we provide Seattle Offices with our comments.

Thanks. :)

As I can recall, I think I've only written to Seattle once.

We were pretty disappointed in one cruise, for a multitude of reasons. We wrote anonymously because we didn't want to appear to be fishing for some kind of "compensation" -- we just wanted HO to know about our observations, especially the cuts to staffing.

We also told HO the reason for wanting to be anonymous, in the hope they'd take our comments and concerns more seriously.

BTW it takes a LOT for us to be disappointed. If we have decent food, relatively competent crew, and a functioning ship, we're pretty much okay.

We wrote HAL once. We wrote Celebrity once. Both times at suggestion of our T/A. Very pleased with both responses.

Both were very serious concerns. 1-10 with 10 being super bad? I would say a 7 & 8.

I write a review for cruise critic during/after every cruise - it serves as a good reminder of the great times we have cruising!

I'm happy to hear there are lots of us who don't write for every perceived flaw or slight. Lately I've gotten the impression there are some who just about sit and wait for something to happen that will not meet their expectation and they start their list of what to complain about. Some of the things I've heard about that people carry to extremes seeking horrorified reaction they should have endured whatever........ truly, I think some are going to some extreme. Do they do that in hotels, too? Do that do that in everyday life?

I cannot remember one time we wrote to HAL about displeasure regarding something that happened aboard. We consulted with Guest Relations Manager and/or Hotel Managers regarding several issues a few times but if we ever wrote complaining to Seattle Offices, it had to have been a very long time ago.

We always complete the after cruise comment sheets so I do agree that is a form of direct communication to Seattle Offices.

I just remembered,,,,,,,,,

MANY years ago, we wrote to Carnival regarding a nightmare on Carnival Destiny. They responded very quickly, provided a coupon for a free cruise in category cabin we had taken on the cruise in question (which was their big suite) but we never used the coupon. Despite their effort to remedy by giving us a free cruise as well as refund for the cruise in question, they lost us forever it was so bad.

I guess we are lucky or very easy to please LOL. We have been on about 15 cruises on three different lines and have never had a bad cruise. Some had some things better than others. We had a great time on all of them. Hope it will continue. :D Bill

I've only written to Seattle once. That was 3 years ago.

I was happy with my cruise experience but felt that Seattle needed to be made aware of a few things that were not up to the Signature of Excellence standard.

The response from them was quick and was up and above my satisfaction. Another reason I STILL love HAL.

I have written Seattle twice, not to complain exacty, but rather to inform them of situations that I thought they might want to address before others experienced similar problems. One time issues should be forgotten in most cases - I have traveled ALOT in the past and know that things can and do go wrong all the time. Do not sweat the small stuff as they say.

DaveOKC

Hi Hal Lover - remember those great meringue cookies? And the ice cream cones after lunch? Anyway, I did write to HAL only to express my pleasure with our last cruise - couldn't find anything negative about it at all. Met some truly great friends too!!;)

I've only written to Seattle once. That was 3 years ago.

I was happy with my cruise experience but felt that Seattle needed to be made aware of a few things that were not up to the Signature of Excellence standard.

The response from them was quick and was up and above my satisfaction. Another reason I STILL love HAL.

I just remembered,,,,,,,,,

MANY years ago, we wrote to Carnival regarding a nightmare on Carnival Destiny. They responded very quickly, provided a coupon for a free cruise in category cabin we had taken on the cruise in question (which was their big suite) but we never used the coupon. Despite their effort to remedy by giving us a free cruise as well as refund for the cruise in question, they lost us forever it was so bad.

That is pretty bad not to take up an offer of a free cruise and in a Suite.

I wrote once after our Canada New England cruise was cut short in 2010 because I wanted to know why the cruise had to be turned into a maintenance repair with the pools never being reopened and tile work being performed. I did express that I thought the Captain handled the situation very well (Hurricane warning). I was not looking for compensation since they already gave everyone onboard 25% of what they paid for a future cruise.

I received a very long letter with a lot of details about how the pools had to be emptied going into a Right Whale reserve, and then we ended up with no water hook-up, which was the reason that the pools were never re-filled. I was satisfied with the response.

Any issues I try to deal with onboard. After the last cruise I mentioned the issues by phone while in the midst of booking another cruise. They were worth mentioning since we were on Veendam with an air conditioning problem, and then were never invited to the Mariners brunch. I was told I needed to write to Seattle, but I said I did not have the time. Obviously my verbal comments were logged since 4 or 5 weeks later I received a response and compensation I never asked for.

The only problem we had that would require notifying Seattle I would rate a 9 on the "what were they thinking" scale. We did not write to HAL but got the name and number of someone in Seattle to talk to. They listened very carefully to our complaint (about a Hotel Manager) and subsequently sent a letter of apology to us. (We had already received compensation via Guest Relations Manager on the ship).

I wrote once after our Canada New England cruise was cut short in 2010 because I wanted to know why the cruise had to be turned into a maintenance repair with the pools never being reopened and tile work being performed. I did express that I thought the Captain handled the situation very well (Hurricane warning). I was not looking for compensation since they already gave everyone onboard 25% of what they paid for a future cruise.

I received a very long letter with a lot of details about how the pools had to be emptied going into a Right Whale reserve, and then we ended up with no water hook-up, which was the reason that the pools were never re-filled. I was satisfied with the response.

Any issues I try to deal with onboard. After the last cruise I mentioned the issues by phone while in the midst of booking another cruise. They were worth mentioning since we were on Veendam with an air conditioning problem, and then were never invited to the Mariners brunch. I was told I needed to write to Seattle, but I said I did not have the time. Obviously my verbal comments were logged since 4 or 5 weeks later I received a response and compensation I never asked for.

That's the cruise on which we met. :) That made it special meeting your and your DH.

As you know, we left the ship three days early as the cruise (effectively) ended at the time they announced we were returning to Boston and missing three ports.

We never wrote to HAL Seattle, we never made a complaint and we never asked for nor received compensation.

We accept 'ship' happens sometimes and we don't look for someone to 'pay up'. Just not who we are.

I don't mean to imply people who write letters are looking for people to 'pay up' but their main goal, in most cases, is to advise of situations that occured that displeased the guests or could have been handled better, in their opinion.

minor problems we try to take care of while still on board. Only wrote to Seattle once when they cancelled our fully paid for ammenity for our group and gave it to another. And there was only the one, so no substitutes could be made. Was really wound up and they resolved it nicely. ----Penny

minor problems we try to take care of while still on board. Only wrote to Seattle once when they cancelled our fully paid for ammenity for our group and gave it to another. And there was only the one, so no substitutes could be made. Was really wound up and they resolved it nicely. ----Penny

You have my curiousity. :D

I'm guessing Oasis at HMC?

Of course, I don't expect you to respond if you don't care to but I'm trying to guess what else it could be. :0

Hi Hal Lover - remember those great meringue cookies? And the ice cream cones after lunch? Anyway, I did write to HAL only to express my pleasure with our last cruise - couldn't find anything negative about it at all. Met some truly great friends too!!;)

Wish I had a meringue cookie and an ice cream right now!:) Happy holiday's to you both! Meeting new friends onboard that you feel that you have known all of your life is a GOOD thing! Tell Diane hello for me!

I organized the meet and greet for our cruise critic group on Nieuw Amsterdam last week. Was pleased to receive an invitation from the hotel manager later in the week to meet with him and some of the other executive staff (can't tell you their roles, but lower ranking than him) as part of a group of travel agents and others involved w/ groups on board. Was a very open give and take and he specifically asked to hear the good as well as the bad.

Always write a lot on the comment cards, but thus far haven't felt the need to write Seattle, although letting them know that feedback effort was much appreciated may be an instant occasion.

Archived