A query about Room Stewards

cjm66

On the Oosterdam, I noticed that there did not seem to be any trolley carts in the corridors storing cleaning and other stores for use by the stewards, when servicing cabins. Instead they worked in pairs and carried their equipment and stores by hand or in caddies. Is this system SOP on HAL ships. If so I applaud it having had difficulty navigating past the trolley style carts on other ships.

I did post a review if anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=112361

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

On the Oosterdam, I noticed that there did not seem to be any trolley carts in the corridors storing cleaning and other stores for use by the stewards, when servicing cabins. Instead they worked in pairs and carried their equipment and stores by hand or in caddies. Is this system SOP on HAL ships. If so I applaud it having had difficulty navigating past the trolley style carts on other ships.

I did post a review if anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=112361

That is standard procedure. The stewards have their caddies to carry cleaning supplies. Then run to the pantry to get towels, ice, and anything they may need.

Carts would just clog a sometimes crowded hallway.

We just had our first (and most likely last) experience on Royal Caribbean and noticed how cluttered the hallways were with all of the carts almost all of the time. It was something we weren't used to seeing and actually seemed very annoying because we always seemed to have to walk around them and the stewards. They did not normally give way and greet like the kind stewards on HAL do.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is standard procedure. The stewards have their caddies to carry cleaning supplies. Then run to the pantry to get towels, ice, and anything they may need.

Carts would just clog a sometimes crowded hallway.

Yes, I noticed that. The stewards clean the bathroom and the rest of the cabin wearing plastic gloves, and then dash back to get towels, ice, etc..wearing the same plastic (latex?) gloves they wore to clean the toliet and the rest of the cabin. And then fill your ice bucket, wearing the same gloves. And how often are those gloves changed? Well, no matter as long as the hallway isn't crowded.

The carts disappeared several years ago. HAL used to have them. But I remember someone here mentioned that they had written to Seattle and made the suggestion about getting rid of the carts. I never really thought much about them until I started to have to use a walker/rollator. Now I appreciate that they are gone as it is just too difficult for people in wheelchairs and scooters can't by them. It was an excellent suggestion by that person.

About 4 or 5 years ago HAL started cut backs and that is when 2 stewards started to service the cabins. At one time each steward had 9 - 10 cabins. Then Seattle changed it to 2 stewards having 30 - 34 cabins -- this eliminating 1 steward. It seems to be working out very well.

Yes, I noticed that. The stewards clean the bathroom and the rest of the cabin wearing plastic gloves, and then dash back to get towels, ice, etc..wearing the same plastic (latex?) gloves they wore to clean the toliet and the rest of the cabin. And then fill your ice bucket, wearing the same gloves. And how often are those gloves changed? Well, no matter as long as the hallway isn't crowded.

I guess the adage "if you want to enjoy the food, don't go into the kitchen" applies here, too. don't ask how often the gloves get changed.:D

But seriously, if gloves are not repeatedly change, wouldn't that contribute to norovirus considering what the room stewards clean? could be a good question to ask the hotel manager at a meet and greet.

I would hope that the stateroom stewards CHANGE their gloves between wearing them to clean the staterooms, (including the bathrooms), & supplying fresh towels to the staterooms! :eek:

Archived