Post-cruise land tour of Australia

GAJE

We are booked on a cruise next January that embarks and disembarks in Sydney. It will be the first (and last) time we have been in that part of the world. We would like to see some of Australia while we are there. Has anyone done the land tour of Australia as a pre- or post? Any comments about it would be greatly appreciated. I realize that the itinerary is a "skimming overview", but I think a little is better than nothing. Am I too unrealistic?

Thanks, Betty

Having traveled in Australia extensively, I would say do it yourself. There are two complexities- Aussies drive on the other side of the road, and Australia is the size of the continental US, with something like 35 million people. So things are quite spread out. But Australia is very user friendly, and the people are great fun.

The itinerary of the 5 day tour, set by HAL, goes to Ayers Rock, Alice Springs, Cairns, Great Barrier Reef, Skyrail on the Kuranda Range, and back to Sydney (with a city tour ending at the airport for the flight home).

Years ago we were scheduled to Australia and New Zealand via a cruise. Never made it because DH had a heart attack just a few days before we were to leave.

BUT

We had put into place plans to tour Australia on our own -- we were scheduled to go over 10 days before the cruise and we were going to rent a car so that we could pace oursleves to see what we wanted to see and not have to be pressured into spending just a few hours here and there.

Maybe you might consider doing something like that.

Dear GAJE..You will be in OZ in the height of our summer.Alice Springs etc will be sitting on 40f (110c) at that time. Cairns will be hot and humid with the monsoon season approaching. The tour you propose in 5 days will be little more than fly in fly out.Most of us locals would not consider summer in central australia and we are attuned to the heat

There are some wonderful sights close to Sydney..easily reached self drive...most times summer in the Sydney area is in the high 20s (70s) to low 30s. Perhaps a flying visit to Melbourne.....Glorious beaches....mountains and most of all great people who will make you welcome.

PW

Betty

We went to Sydney last March for 15 days before joining the Volundam for our trip home. Initially we booked the HAL 5 day Oz tour only to have it cancelled due to lack of interest [not enough folks to make it economical]. Fortunately HAL gave us enough time to make alternate arrangements and did we ever love Sydney area. We stayed at a fantastic home rental, used the weekly rail/bus/ferry pass to enjoy the City of Sydney, and had Oz friends we met on a 2011 Scenic River Cruise show us their favourite beaches and the Blue Mountains. We also got to Cairns on our own for 5 days of reef snorkelling and rain forest hiking. So, while a little disappointed in the lack of seeing Ayers Rock et al, the stay in Sydney was fantastic. Do enjoy yourselves and if you want more information, connect with us at our email address connected with our profile. L&T

WE did the pre tour with Princess but the itinerary was the same. Enjoyed most of it except that we had a very very long ride to Alice Springs. However the fact that we were with the same group for those days made the cruise that much more enjoyable. Knowing quite a few passengers before we even boarded the ship was a real plus.

Dear GAJE..You will be in OZ in the height of our summer.Alice Springs etc will be sitting on 40f (110c) at that time. Cairns will be hot and humid with the monsoon season approaching. The tour you propose in 5 days will be little more than fly in fly out.Most of us locals would not consider summer in central australia and we are attuned to the heat

There are some wonderful sights close to Sydney..easily reached self drive...most times summer in the Sydney area is in the high 20s (70s) to low 30s. Perhaps a flying visit to Melbourne.....Glorious beaches....mountains and most of all great people who will make you welcome.

PW

I agree----it will be too hot and especially humid in Cairns.

You could stay in Sydney and take day trips out of Sydney to the Blue Mountains, Canberra, and Hunter Valley. Then make one flight to Melbourne and do day trips out of there. Besides the city itself, there is the Great Ocean Road, Ballarat, penguins and Yarra Valley wine tours and many more.

I agree with the above posts, it is way too humid and hot in Cairns that time of year, unless you are from a similar climate. Our son lives there and never sees us between November and May each year. To go to Ayers rock would be nice, but be prepared to swelter in the heat and spend hours on the plane getting there and back. Sydney and surrounding areas are easy to get around with the public transport system, Canberra is an interesting city, Melbourne is also a nice city with great surrounding areas. The Blue Mountains are lovely to see. If it is the outback you want to see, unfortunately at that time of year expect dry, HIGH temperatures and heaps of flies...:) We travel Australia frequently with our caravan/trailer and know a lot of beautiful sights you could see in your time here. Driving on the opposite side of the road is not that difficult, we do it when we visit USA or Europe, just remember that the driver is always in the middle of the road, and have someone with you to keep reminding you:D Hope you enjoy your visit down our way!

We are cruising our of Sydney the beginning of February. We are going early and will do it our own way. I was able to find some great deals on Groupon Australia/Sydney. We got a great deal for 2 of us for the Blue Mountains and they will pick us up at our hotel. There are lots of other deals that are going on and I'm sure that there will be when you go. Just subscribe to the social media to at least see what is available now to get an idea of what is out there.

We are cruising our of Sydney the beginning of February. We are going early and will do it our own way. I was able to find some great deals on Groupon Australia/Sydney. We got a great deal for 2 of us for the Blue Mountains and they will pick us up at our hotel. There are lots of other deals that are going on and I'm sure that there will be when you go. Just subscribe to the social media to at least see what is available now to get an idea of what is out there.

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing that. I've subscribed for different cities for gift giving purposes but hadn't thought to do it for our own vacation destinations.

I realize that the itinerary is a "skimming overview", but I think a little is better than nothing. Am I too unrealistic?
In addition to the problem about it being the wrong time of the year, you have to remember that Australia is not a small Caribbean island but a country which is broadly the same size as the United States. So imagine doing a 5-day "land tour" that takes you from New York City to Miami, New Orleans, Oklahoma City and Boston. That's not so much a "skimming overview" as a punishing route march that will show you more of the transport infrastructure than any sights.

If you only have 5 days, I would stay in Sydney. You could only scratch the surface there in that period of time, anyway, as Sydney and its environs need a month to see properly.

All of you have certainly given me much food for thought. Now I am sure we will not take the packaged post cruise tour. Your suggested alternatives are greatly appreciated! More research needs to be done to make the most sensible use of our days in Australia.

Thank you!

Betty

Archived