How does Azamara compare to Oceania?

AD607

We've done two cruises on Oceania, both on R ships. We've enjoyed the excellent food, wonderful service, casual atmosphere, and the interesting people. We're now considering a cruise on Azamara, which appears to be very similar to Oceania. We'd be interested in hearing from those who have cruised both lines. Thanks.

Having sailed both, we prefer Azamara for its warmth and friendliness, which we did not experience on Oceania. We also very much like the coffee area with the piano on deck 5. It is a wonderful place to snuggle on a couch and read, with waiters to bring cappuccino or tea. Has a totally different feel than Oceania.

Take a minute or two to read this Azamara blog posting by Quest's master, Captain Carl Smith, and perhaps you'll get a sense of what makes Azamara different.

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/destination-immersion-blog/from-the-desk-of-captain-carl-smith-master-azamara-quest/#more-82

[That's Captain Carl pictured with Nigel Marven and wearing the bright blue shirt.]

We recently returned from the Spice Coast cruise, our first on Azamara. We have done nine cruises on Oceania, seven on the R ships. While we found lots to like on Azamara, including the Mosaic Cafe, we found the ship less well maintained than Oceania's R ships, and the food well below what we have experienced on O. I would sail again on Azamara, for the right itinerary at the right price --though that doesn't look likely given their plans, but don't think I could talk my husband into it.

After four wonderful Oceania cruises since September 2008, my husband and I cruised on Azamara Quest in mid-October for a fantastic itinerary with four different ports in Sicily, an overnight in Malta and three days on the Amalfi Coast. We were very happy with our Azamara experience, primarily because we enjoyed the friendly and more informal attitude of the staff from the Captain on down, simply a lot more fun atmosphere, exemplified by the White Nights deck party experience. We found the passengers a bit more outgoing as well. We also liked the Mosaic Cafe and the more fun trivia atmosphere, as well as the much better entertainment. So on the whole a lot less formal and less pretentious.

On the other hand, the beds were nowhere near as good as on Oceania, we missed afternoon tea with the wonderful scones, as well as the fresh berries at breakfast. Also, the decor is a lot more dated, you have to pay for the specialty restaurants if you are in a basic veranda cabin, and the food simply is not as uniformly excellent, although we were very pleased (and frankly, pleasantly surprised) with it on the whole. People dress much more informally at dinner as well. Also, due to the 50% off on shore excursions offered (although no longer so not to worry about in the future:)), it was much harder to find others to share private shore excursions. We ended up doing only one due to lack of interest on our roll call.

We are itinerary-driven cruisers, so I would go on either one for the right itinerary for us. We believe that both provide excellent on-board experiences.

All Quest beds have been replaced and Journey's will be in 1Q2013. Likewise for much of public spaces decor. All staterooms have been refurbished on Quest and will be on Journey. While Azamara charges for specialty dining for non-suite guests, all gratuities (except butler) and wine at lunch and dinner are included for EVERYONE. Starting sometime in March, beer, wine, and standard liquor will also be included, along with one special evening event on-shore. Let's reflect reality in our comparisons, not years ago experiences.

After four wonderful Oceania cruises since September 2008, my husband and I cruised on Azamara Quest in mid-October for a fantastic itinerary with four different ports in Sicily, an overnight in Malta and three days on the Amalfi Coast. We were very happy with our Azamara experience, primarily because we enjoyed the friendly and more informal attitude of the staff from the Captain on down, simply a lot more fun atmosphere, exemplified by the White Nights deck party experience. We found the passengers a bit more outgoing as well. We also liked the Mosaic Cafe and the more fun trivia atmosphere, as well as the much better entertainment. So on the whole a lot less formal and less pretentious.

On the other hand, the beds were nowhere near as good as on Oceania, we missed afternoon tea with the wonderful scones, as well as the fresh berries at breakfast. Also, the decor is a lot more dated, you have to pay for the specialty restaurants if you are in a basic veranda cabin, and the food simply is not as uniformly excellent, although we were very pleased (and frankly, pleasantly surprised) with it on the whole. People dress much more informally at dinner as well. Also, due to the 50% off on shore excursions offered (although no longer so not to worry about in the future:)), it was much harder to find others to share private shore excursions. We ended up doing only one due to lack of interest on our roll call.

We are itinerary-driven cruisers, so I would go on either one for the right itinerary for us. We believe that both provide excellent on-board experiences.

As a fellow O cruiser, I am so glad to hear you enjoyed Azamara. I have 2 A cruises booked and I am looking forward to them.

We've had 7 cruises on Oceania and 5 on Azamara and will not travel with Oceania again. There is no comparison between Oceania and Azamara. Oceania is food oriented, Azamara is passenger oriented. Oceania nickles and dimes you to death--$4 for each laundry, $3.95 for an internet "set-up fee" when they don't do anything to help set you up, charges for excursions are exhorbitant, drink prices are out of line,(unless you only drink during happy hour) etc. On our last 4 cruises on Oceania, the food was mediocre, at best--(including on the Marina). Yes, Oceania has couple of good specialty restaurants (especially Red Ginger,) but we found the rest of the food to be highly over-rated, and Azamara's to be better overall. And Azamara staff can not be matched by anyone!:D

If your concern is the overall cruise experience rather than just food,

Azamara outshines Oceania by a long shot! We can't wait for our next Azamara cruise.

All Quest beds have been replaced and Journey's will be in 1Q2013. Likewise for much of public spaces decor. All staterooms have been refurbished on Quest and will be on Journey. While Azamara charges for specialty dining for non-suite guests, all gratuities (except butler) and wine at lunch and dinner are included for EVERYONE. Starting sometime in March, beer, wine, and standard liquor will also be included, along with one special evening event on-shore. Let's reflect reality in our comparisons, not years ago experiences.

Minor correction, your butlers gratuities are included though of course you can give him extra

Azamara doesn't include Air, does it? That's one significant difference. How well does the "Choice Air" system work, and how comparable are fares with this included? I, for one, like included air fares, since there are times when booking your own can be tough (especially open-jaw and one-way fares.)

We will be on our first O trip next year. But the friendly aspect of A is definitely attractive, although the tiny staterooms are not (we'll be on Riviera, in a spacious PH.)

Azamara doesn't include Air, does it? That's one significant difference. How well does the "Choice Air" system work, and how comparable are fares with this included? I, for one, like included air fares, since there are times when booking your own can be tough (especially open-jaw and one-way fares.)

We will be on our first O trip next year. But the friendly aspect of A is definitely attractive, although the tiny staterooms are not (we'll be on Riviera, in a spacious PH.)

Air is not a factor for us since we use miles. But if you read (I mean study LOL) the posts on Azamara, CHoice Air can be a big savings. Choice Air, however, is not offered on every itinerary.

You will LOVE the PH on Riviera. I sailed in a PH on Marina. Just the best. However, cabin size is never a big consideration for us. I know it is for many.

Air is not a factor for us since we use miles. But if you read (I mean study LOL) the posts on Azamara, CHoice Air can be a big savings. Choice Air, however, is not offered on every itinerary.

You will LOVE the PH on Riviera. I sailed in a PH on Marina. Just the best. However, cabin size is never a big consideration for us. I know it is for many.

Thank you Laraine. Yes, cabin size is a definite consideration for us. We're used to Regent, and the smallest cabin we've ever been in is on the PG, at 200 sqft. Can't imagine an inside cabin, or a cabin that's much smaller than this. Don't usually travel in PH's, but are used to 300' cabins, plus balcony.

Oh. Choice Air isn't even offered sometimes. Hmm. This complicates matters. We don't often travel on points, so have to pay the freight on air, if it's not included. One of the great luxuries of Regent are the cheap Business Air upgrades--sure wish others would do this, but I realize it's not going to happen.

quote]

"Choice Air" is the name of the Azamara/Celebrity/RCCL booking tool/Air department and is available for booking on every cruise although not available from all cities (for instance we know someone who lives in Vermont and they were not able to book using Choice Air from Vermont).

I think what you meant is that a Choice Air discount is not available for every itinerary. So far it has been available for all 7 nights and longer except for the Black Sea cruise each August.

Thank you Laraine. Yes, cabin size is a definite consideration for us. We're used to Regent, and the smallest cabin we've ever been in is on the PG, at 200 sqft. Can't imagine an inside cabin, or a cabin that's much smaller than this. Don't usually travel in PH's, but are used to 300' cabins, plus balcony.

Oh. Choice Air isn't even offered sometimes. Hmm. This complicates matters. We don't often travel on points, so have to pay the freight on air, if it's not included. One of the great luxuries of Regent are the cheap Business Air upgrades--sure wish others would do this, but I realize it's not going to happen.

If you live in the US or Canada you can book through Choice Air from most major cities. It is the name of the Azamara/RCCL air department. The options are much better than traditional cruise air since you can choose your flights based on the dates you want, airline you want, and rates.

We used Choice Air for a Celebrity cruise this month and one way air fare to Rome was $496.00 so we would not waste FFmile points in that case as it was better deal for us to pay.

I would go with Azamara. We sailed the Quest and Marina so the comparison of ship class is different. I side with those who feel that Azamara is much more personal and attentive. Much friendlier attitude and willingness to help. Although the dining options were more limited with Azamara I did not see much difference with the quality. Wine was also included and the ship is now much more inclusive. It was nice seeing the Captain walking around and speaking with the guests and also serving us one night on the Lido deck. While in Greece and Turkey with Azamara, local talent was brought on board with singers and dancers and a beautiful spread of local foods was offered including fresh fish from port cooked on the open deck. Port visits were a strong point with Azamara with much longer port calls. Excursions were also much more reasonably priced.

The Marina was a newer and prettier ship. Cabins were much larger and nicely finished with comfy beds but poor layout. There was very little storage space with no drawer space and limited shelves. The bathroom was beautiful but not at all functional. The shower head was an inch over the top of my head. I understand this has been addressed by including a shower in the tub but the high step-over in the tub is not very safe on a moving ship. Azamara has definitely smaller cabins but they are akin to a river cruise boat where everything fits in its' place. Mattresses were hard but that is being changed.

We used Choice Air and found the price to be better than I could arrange and they were very helpful in planning the best route. They are bulk rate fares and, when adding the cost of cruise fare, Azamara came out ahead and was more inclusive. Both will give you an excellent experience and I would sail either one again but I give the advantage to Azamara.

Let's reflect reality in our comparisons, not years ago experiences.

I don't see how two months ago and each of the last four years can be termed "years ago experiences".:confused:

We were very pleased with our ChoiceAir experience. I decided which flights I wanted, and then called ChoiceAir, which provided the exact flights I requested at the same price as quoted on the ita software website plus a $25 fee for each ticket. Once purchased, we then received a $500 per person credit towards the cruise fee. Very easy, and no problems whatsoever.

I forgot to mention one other comparison point: on Oceania, I had to organize all the roll call meetings, and all was on a pay by the passenger basis, with Oceania only providing the room; none of the ship's officers attended. On Azamara, the Meet and Greet is gratis, with drinks and appetizers provided, plus the Cruise Director and other officers, including the head hotel guy, attended and addressed our group, making us feel very valued and welcome. It was a great introduction to the very friendly and interactive vibe provided by the ship's officers and crew.

pacheco, I am sure you will enjoy your Azamara experience, a less formal and more personal vibe.

I don't see how two months ago and each of the last four years can be termed "years ago experiences".:confused:

I'll try again. The Azamara beds you complained about have now been replaced on Quest and are about to be on Journey. So that comparison is no longer valid. Unless one sails Journey in the next few weeks, he or she will never see the beds you referred to.

Much of the "dated" decor on Azamara that you referenced has now been replaced on Quest and is about to be on Journey. Windows, Mosaic Cafe, and Aqualina have all been completely redone on Quest. Discoveries has been significantly refreshed, as has Club Luxe. These are now very attractive, up-to-date public spaces. So that comparison, to a significant degree, has been addressed.

Looking Glass and Cabaret are still in some need of updating. One hopes that will be addressed in the supposedly upcoming further refresh of the fleet.

I hope that makes it clear.

We have sailed 3 times with O, and 4 times with A. We have just reserved 2 more sailings on O.

There is no way to say what is make-or-break for you, since everyone values things differently.

You will not receive a 100% objective reply from anyone on this board, since everyone values different amenities differently.

I say: Food is much superior on O

Room size and comfort much superior on O

Service onboard is comparable on both

The deal-breaker for me (read around on the A boards) is the shoreside

operations. There is documentation on CC for years, about the shody cutomer service by shore-side Azamara.

When I pay a premium price I expect premium service.

O wins hands down here.

And as for A being less expensive than O...no!

I just booked a 12 day itinerary with air included (balcony) for $3,000 pp.

We have sailed 3 times with O, and 4 times with A. We have just reserved 2 more sailings on O..

And as for A being less expensive than O...no!

I just booked a 12 day itinerary with air included (balcony) for $3,000 pp.

Really? That sounds great! do you mind sharing which itinerary you booked? It sounds very enticing to me.

I say: Food is much superior on O

Many say differently. See their postings above. To each his or her own.

Room size and comfort much superior on O

Only on Riviera and Marina, where you have to put up with 80% more passengers, so good-bye to the intimate small ship ambiance that you find on R-ships. Not of any interest to me.

Service onboard is comparable on both

Do Captains on Oceania lead star-gazing sessions for passengers on the top deck? Do they take passengers on shore excursions, scenic trail hikes and the like when in port? Do the executive chefs take passengers to local markets to share buying secrets for seafood, vegetables, etc.? Is fresh catch brought aboard from fishing vessels working in the area where the ship is cruising? Do F&B managers have huge chunks of fabulous chocolate cake delivered to your room when you happen to mention to them that you especially liked the cake at lunch? Do hotel directors, when there is not enough interest in a shore excursion scheduled for disembarkation day, express willingness to arrange a bus or van for you when you say you're really disappointed the excursion won't be running? It's not just "service," it's extraordinary personal attention and caring from the senior officers who run Azamara’s ships.

Oh...we just returned from 31 days in a veranda on Quest, with boutique wine at lunch and dinner, all gratuities included, and air included--for $4500/person, with $700 in on board credit for the stateroom. Every cruise line offers the occasional deal you can’t refuse. Cherry-picking one when making comparisons is bad form.

Enjoy Oceania.

I will echo what Marinaro44 posted. We have only one experience with either and still prefer Azamara. I am not a cheerleader for either line and cannot comment on how each line's "R" class ships compare. Our excursions on the Marina were way overpriced and not very good. Our Azamara excursions were spot on and fairly priced. I definitely felt as if Azamara had better service and much friendlier. We preferred dining on Azamara in all respects except I had an awesome cheeseburger on the Marina. If you look at the Oceania board, there seems to be a lot of dissension regarding food and level of service.

Really? That sounds great! do you mind sharing which itinerary you booked? It sounds very enticing to me.

I agree.

We sail mostly in Europe and perhaps it's my inadequate research skills but, whenever we do a comparison including base price, gratuities, wine and excursions, we can't make the numbers work in O's favour.

Obviously others must be more adept at this.

Oh...we just returned from 31 days in a veranda on Quest, with boutique wine at lunch and dinner, all gratuities included, and air included--for $4500/person, with $700 in on board credit for the stateroom. Every cruise line offers the occasional deal you can’t refuse. Cherry-picking one when making comparisons is bad form.

Enjoy Oceania.

Was this booked after the standard final payment date? I have heard of these deals through agents including airfare but they are never on the Azamara site. It seems to be secret pricing. Also, was this 3 cruises put together which would include the discount for booking multiple itineraries btbtb (I think up to a $1,600.00 discount)?

Thanks.

Archived