Drinks in Diamond lounge

Broch

When one of the two people sharing a cabin is Diamond and the other is not, may both use the Diamond lounge or only the one?

TIA

I would be VERY surprised if the non-Diamond was asked to leave. We've gone to Diamond gatherings & lounges and I don't recall my significant other ever being asked for her set-sail pass.

Tom

IF married or even living at same address, then all members of the family/household are the same level. IF not at same address then not same level even if very signifant other. "rule" is only D and above can use lounge and cards can be checked both at door and also inside. Some ships are now being fitted with a card reader for entry. As for kid inside...I only visited once last week as I would NOT bring a 10 yr old to the club. I know some parents think nothing of it but I don't want the exposure to all the "what ifs". Just easier to refrain for a few evenings. I even had some friends from M&M ask me why we weren't there, telling me she could have had a soda.

phish tales

I’m not sure I fully understand your comments. I would except behavior in the lounge to be on par with the behavior around the ship, no better - no worse. Bad behavior is bad behavior regardless of the venue. Why would one expect "better" behavior in a Concierge Lounge?

Is the issue general behavior around the ship? (Perhaps a thread for another day)

Thanks

M

I think the point is the CL used to be rather refined and elegant, now it has become something much less.

FLHugh I do agree with you. CL was designed to be rather elegant but jkust as the MDR has changed due to society changing the CL is loosing it's battle to stay "refined". I was recently on a cruise (fall) when someone said "Don't you feel overdressed? " to me on formal night when I stopped off at the CL before dining. How are we to teach the next generation manners when this one is fighting so hard to reject all that they have been taught? Maybe, it is the last 2 generations that are fighting the battle against class?

I would be VERY surprised if the non-Diamond was asked to leave. We've gone to Diamond gatherings & lounges and I don't recall my significant other ever being asked for her set-sail pass.

Tom

On our last cruises - last three at least - the Diamond Lounge was not used on an evening for the cocktail hour - too many diamonds on board. Evening event was held elsewhere.

On the Independence TA in November/December it was held in the Pyramid lounge. You were asked for your card - both husband and wife - each evening. Also had to re-present card even after leaving to go to the bathroom! We were able to leave with a glass of wine.

On the Navigator in March of this year we were also both "carded" - event was held in the nightclub. You were not allowed to take drinks out. On the Allure was held in the Blaze nightclub and also were checking IDs very carefully. The Allure staff did allow drinks to be removed.

The Allure staff did allow drinks to be removed.

Yeah. While technically against the rules, this seems to really be carried out as a ship by ship, lounge by lounge thing. I saw plenty of folks on my last Oasis cruise carrying drinks out of the DL.

One thing we all love about RCI is its consistency! ;)

Tom

Some CC members have actually blasted RCI on these very pages because they were appalled when their companions were denied access to the DL and caused to suffer embarrassment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True but if, and only if, you have gone to "Enroll Other Members of Your Household"

Thom

Right. You have to contact RCI beforehand. I did so for my fiancee (we live together).

RCI properly upgraded her to my Diamond status, provided us all necessary documentation, yet still somehow screwed up her card and labeled her card gold. :rolleyes: The D concierge on Oasis was terrific, however, and went well out of her way to make sure my fiancee got a corrected card with access to the lounge.

The freedoms DL is part of the Vcl area. If there are not a huge amount of d's onboard they will just use the regular DL. Have your friends sit in the Vcl and order while you step in the DL and get yours, and then just walk a few steps and join your friends. :)
Thank you so much for your constructive comments and geography of the ship. This is most likely what we will do. I was not sure if you were allowed to take drinks out of the DL as I have not used it before.

.... .

I am not so sure this is as constructive as you'd like. Once in a while drinks are allowed to leave lounges. Certainly I have seen this happen from CL. sometimes drinks seem to leave a D event, but other times everybody with a drink is stopped prior to exiting. So far, drinks have not routinely left the DL on my cruises, as the door was staffed regularly. maybe you will be able leave the D area with a drink, maybe not.

I am not being CC DL police....I do not particularly care if RCI lets drinks leave the DL or not on a given cruise. I am just sharing my observations. Do not be surprised or disappointed if you are asked to leave your drink in the DL.

Tom

it varies. we "tested" it on our recent cruise. DH pulled out his card as we entered the D event. The door staff asked to see mine, too. Of course if the usual guy was there, he recognized us after a while so cards were not challenged.

funny, did not take long at all for the DL po to show and even a visit from the CL po was made. :D I have always left the interpetation of how things are run on a ship and a cruise up to the crew. They run the ship as they see fit, there is no arm twisting, so if you don't like it :p:p

The GRD is always loaded with pax telling the crew how to run the ship

[quote name='setsail']The freedoms DL is part of the Vcl area. If there are not a huge amount of d's onboard they will just use the regular DL. Have your friends sit in the Vcl and order while you step in the DL and get yours, and then just walk a few steps and join your friends. :)[/quote]Good advice IF the Concierge allows it, but be warned that many strongly discourage taking drinks out of the DL.

I think if there is anything we can agree on, it is that RCI rules (including those associated with the DL) are inconsistently applied. I'm pretty sure that the RCI Rule is Diamonds only in the DL, and I find this enforced more often than not [including one DL Concierge who informed me "You have to show your card, Thom" - yes, he knew me by name and still insisted on seeing my card!]. I also think the RCI Rule is no drinks to go out of the DL, and in my experience enforcement on this is all over the lot from the DL saying "Why are you leaving your drink, don't you want to take it to dinner?" (that has happened only one time), to the DL saying no glassware is to leave the DL while pointedly leaving paper coffee cups available, to [most often] "discouraging" any drinks leaving, to chasing people down the hall to reclaim drinks. I accept Diamonds Only and No Drinks to leave, but have been known to accept variations to these rules if the Concierge allows it.

Thom

[quote name='TravelerThom'] I accept Diamonds Only and No Drinks to leave, but have been known to accept variations to these rules if the Concierge allows it.

Thom[/quote]

I agree about the "Diamonds only." It is a priviledge granted by RCCL, not by another passenger.

On the other hand, one common sense rule might be something like this...

'NO DRINKS MAY LEAVE THE LOUNGE WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ONE GLASS OF WINE TO BE TAKEN TO DINNER ONLY"

Whenever we cruise with non-Diamond family members, we just go to another lounge. Even if they were allowed to buy drinks in the VCL, I'd be embarrassed to keep going into the DL for the free cocktails while they had to pay for theirs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[quote name='SPDBigG']Some CC members have actually blasted RCI on these very pages because they were appalled when their companions were denied access to the DL and caused to suffer embarrassment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote]
If someone is embarrassed crashing a private party, well too bad. Private means private. This is an earned perk and I've forked over plenty of $$$ for the privilege.

[quote name='phish tales']berylde,they can say what they want to, buy you are correct. totally no more respect left in the CL. it is totally as you described. what a shame.
it has turned into a walmart lounge. :eek::eek::eek:[/QUOTE]

I agree, and this is one reason we will not book a suite with Royal any longer, children under 18 do not need to be in this lounge.

When my DH could not accompany me on a cruise on Liberty last year, I took a girl friend with me who had never cruised before. There was a message on my cabin phone when we arrived from the Diamond Lounge attendant, specifically telling me that while I would be welcome in the Diamond lounge, my friend would not and asking me to respect the rules. Of course, I did that but my friend went with me, sat in the Viking Crown Lounge and ordered the drink of the day while I went into the Diamond Lounge for whatever I was drinking. There was no problem in my leaving the lounge with my drink so I could sit with my friend. And in fact, my sister and BIL were traveling with us and did the same thing. And we all had plates full of appetizers with us as well! Also, on Mariner this past November, my DH and I would have our drinks in the Diamond Lounge every evening and one time we got up to leave as it was time for us to get to dinner. The concierge saw we were leaving before finishing our drinks and specifically asked us if we'd like to get them to go!:)

[quote name='betsyl']When my DH could not accompany me on a cruise on Liberty last year, I took a girl friend with me who had never cruised before. There was a message on my cabin phone when we arrived from the Diamond Lounge attendant, specifically telling me that while I would be welcome in the Diamond lounge, my friend would not and asking me to respect the rules. Of course, I did that but my friend went with me, sat in the Viking Crown Lounge and ordered the drink of the day while I went into the Diamond Lounge for whatever I was drinking. There was no problem in my leaving the lounge with my drink so I could sit with my friend. And in fact, my sister and BIL were traveling with us and did the same thing. And we all had plates full of appetizers with us as well! Also, on Mariner this past November, my DH and I would have our drinks in the Diamond Lounge every evening and one time we got up to leave as it was time for us to get to dinner. The concierge saw we were leaving before finishing our drinks and specifically asked us if we'd like to get them to go!:)[/QUOTE]

Common sense prevailed!

Archived