Daily activities flyer on HAL ships?

Aldeya

We are going on our first HAL cruise. On all other lines we sailed before they provided a daily flyer with all the activities for the day and all important information about the cruise, ship, etc.

I think I read every thread on this board:D but I can't seem to find if such flyer is provided on the HAL ships.

Is there one?

I'm the planning type (make it an extreme planning:D) so it would be very helpful to get this information before our sailing.

Yes, you'll get the same sort of daily program on HAL. It provides all dining times in every venue, hours of service in the various bars and lounges, listing of all acitivities and any special info particular to that day.

We are going on our first HAL cruise. On all other lines we sailed before they provided a daily flyer with all the activities for the day and all important information about the cruise, ship, etc.

I think I read every thread on this board:D but I can't seem to find if such flyer is provided on the HAL ships.

Is there one?

I'm the planning type (make it an extreme planning:D) so it would be very helpful to get this information before our sailing.

As well as receiving the "Explorer" (daily flyer) every morning in your mail box as billbunger stated, you will also receive one at embarkation so that you can plan on what to do that day as well:)

Joanie

I don't know of any cruise line that doesn't have some type of a daily program.

When you return from dinner, on your bed will be your chocolates on top of the cabin breakfast menu -- which is quite extensive compared to other cruise lines.

Also on most nights there will be a towel animal on the bed.

And of course your daily Explorer program so that you can read what activities are available for the next day -- the times that the main dining room will be open for breakfast and lunch. There are days when the main dining room will be closed for lunch. Also you will see the drink special of the day.

We just got back from our cruise on the Westerdam. The thing I liked about the daily activity printout was that one page had all of the activities listed in order by time so that you could check off the ones that interested you. The thing I did not like about the activities in general was that there were not a lot of things scheduled.

As well as receiving the "Explorer" (daily flyer) every morning in your mail box as billbunger stated, you will also receive one at embarkation so that you can plan on what to do that day as well:)

Joanie

There are times we are given the Explorer in the terminal during check in and other times, it is on the bureau when we arrive in our cabin.

And on days when there is a port call, the Explorer is supplemented with a separate sheet of port information. Unfortunately, it focuses mostly on shopping, plus some general info (like the HAL port agent's contact info, which is vital in case of emergency). If you are a planner and want to do things in port other than shop, I recommend doing your own research ahead of time, including getting maps.

Here's a link to the Explorers from my Zaandam Asia cruise last year. The format is pretty much the same each day. Ignore the ones from February 17 on as they ran low on paper stock and printed the flyers on an old format that came out a bit strange:

http://zaandamasia.wordpress.com/explorers/

At the end of the cruise you'll also get a cruise log (last link on the page)

Someone said every cruise line gives out such flyers. Almost true, but one of my favorites does not. Blount Small Ship Adventures uses a white board at the top of the main staircase which provides the same function. The only time I haven't seen a paper version:

http://yulcircle.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/actboard31.jpg

Roy

<snip>

Someone said every cruise line gives out such flyers. Almost true, but one of my favorites does not. Blount Small Ship Adventures uses a white board at the top of the main staircase which provides the same function. The only time I haven't seen a paper version:

http://yulcircle.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/actboard31.jpg

Roy

Somehow I suspect there are not a great many guests nor a ton of activities. :)

(Sorry, I try hard to not click links on forums.) :cool:

Thank you for the link to the Zaandam's Explorer rafinmd.

Just wondering if someone has the link to the current Westerdam Explorer?

It would help me with the locations of the different venues on the ship, etc. (The extreme planner in me is talking:D

... Just wondering if someone has the link to the current Westerdam Explorer? It would help me with the locations of the different venues on the ship, etc. ...

Sounds like you're looking for deck plans, which the Explorer does not contain. You will be given a pocket-size folding deck plan map at check-in. Meanwhile, complete deck plans for all HAL ships are available on the HAL website. Westerdam's is here (and there's a link on the page to a printable PDF of all decks):

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlansFull.action?ship=we&deck=m

I'm a planner too, so I know where you're coming from. By the time DH and I boarded the Amsterdam earlier this month, I had the deck plans practically memorized. :D Enjoy Westerdam - she is a beautiful ship.

Archived