DW wanted me to pass this coffee tip along

legion3

My dw who is the coffee drinker wanted me to pass along her new CCL coffee routine. For those already doing this please forgive any non new info.

First she likes a very dark bold roast. CCl does not have such coffee. I suggested she try the Starbucks VIA after reading such tips here on CC.

We embarked with VIA in hand but what my wife ended up doing was adding the VIA (in this case dark roast italian) directly into the standard black CCL coffee. She also brought along her own mug (larger) and had the waiter fill the mug up in the MDR and then she added the complete VIA package. She said it made the coffee way better and certainly darker, bolder.

Anyway thanks for the VIA tips to all those who passed it on as it saved me from a week of..."this coffee is weak", " this coffee sucks" :rolleyes: ;)

Not even the coffee house/bar has a dark roast, all they do is add an espresso shot to a cup of hot water. Not being a cafe drinker this means nothing to me but to my DW it does.

I have always preferred a strong coffee but a darker roast doesn't necessarily make it stronger, only a more "burnt" flavor - only my opinion, of course.

Princess has the absolute worst coffee of any cruise I have taken. It is made with a coffee "syrup" process. One would have to buy the specialty coffee to get through the week.

Carnival was always "just OK" and drinkable. BUT, our last cruise on Splendor (early December 12) we found the coffee actually very robust and had plenty of flavor. I know that their coffee came from large bags of ground coffee because I watched them load the hopper, but I don't know if they changed the water/coffee ratio or a deeper blend but we found it "good enough."

Adding the Starbucks VIA is a good idea for many people but I just wanted to say that it appears that at least maybe some Carnival ships have improved their coffee.

Total agreement on the Princess coffee. It was on Princess years ago I just couldn't take it anymore, and bought a small french press and ground coffee at the Starbucks in San Juan Puerto Rico. I just use the hot water dispensers on the Lido. Haven't sailed without it since! Great coffee eveytime!

I'm a light roast girl myself so I will probably like the Carnival coffee. I like the coffee on our first NCL cruise but hated it on the second. Didn't think about it until I got home but I could have filled the cup half with coffee and half with hot water which would have probably made it drinkable for me.

Archived