JFK risk of weather problems January

pris993

We are considering taking a night flight from California to JFK in January. This would get us into JFK around 7 am, to board a ship in Manhatten on the same day for a Panama Canal cruise.

Am wondering how risky that maybe in January? If our flight got cancelled due to weather problems, would not be able to make the ship. We could meet the ship in Florida, if that happened if necessary a few days later.

Recognizing weather is unpredictable... still thought I might ask on CC. Appreciate feedback. Thanks

while they are pretty good at clearing the airport, chances are that there will be delays and/or cancellations anyway...

no way i would fly in day of during the winter...heck i don't like to fly in day of at all....

NYC is decent at snow removal, but not as good as say Chicago or Minneapolis....

personally i would come in a day ahead and people here can suggest hotels for you

January in NYC there is always a chance there could be a blizzard or snowstorm. JFK might be efficient at clearing snow to keep the airport open but you may encounter lots of problems getting to the port due to snow.

On the other hand it could be completely nice if not a little cold and you will have no problems.

Flying in the day before a cruise is always better than flying in the day of your cruise. I know some people cannot always do that and I understand that.

You know the weather is...the weather. No one can tell in advance what it will be and the weather people get it wrong too. I have relatives coming to NYC from OKC this week and they have had to change their plans twice because of the weather...in Texas and OK not here at all.

January can be calm or stormy there is no way to tell in advance but besides the hint to travel a day early to give you some extra time if there is a problem, I would also suggest that you buy insurance. The day before is sort of insurance. if it is a really bad snow its just slightly less likely that the airport will be closed for more than a day or two. It happens rarely but happens....so you can fly in a day early and buy insurance as well...but if you take the risk without it remember its your risk not the airlines or the cruise lines....

Even if it was summer time I think it is a big mistake to fly in the day of the cruise. There is too much that can go wrong that is not weather related that can cause you to miss the ship with a flight cancellation or delay such as:

Mechanical issues.

Lack of flight personnel

Delay of flight.

FAA computer glitch

Airport security issue

Flight security issue

Some other event

And the list goes on and on and on.

Now, let's add to this the issue of weather.

Don't do it.

Keith

Archived