First time on one of the largest ships!?

Bigger can be better sometimes. From what I have read about Voyager of the Seas is that it does have a friendly passenger space ratio. I would certainly try Voyager of the Seas over any of the enlarged Princess ships which are extremely crowded.

It is always hard to explain about size but I will give it a go. With large you will get more facilities, larger lounges, theatres, restaurants, pools etc.

You do have to be carefull with the ships you choose. Take a ship like Diamond Princess for example. It sails out of Australia in the summer and is around 116,000tons and has about 2,600 passengers. That ship is large, comfortable and not crowded. On the other hand Princess has exactly the same designed ships with an extra deck carrying about 3,100 passengers Like the Crown, Emerald, Ruby and Caribbean Princess. On the larger version with more cabins they are extremely crowded.

What Princess has done is kept existing large framed ships and stacked more and more cabins on top making them extensively crowded. This goes for the same with many of the Carnival affilliated lines.

With Royal Caribbean the Voyager class and following Freedom and Oasis variants they were newly designed and have a much friendlier space ratio than just using existing designs and building higher and higher.

What I am trying to point out is that Voyager of the Seas is a good choice when it comes to large ships.

Whilst it is true some large ships can be crowded it pays to do research like take into account passenger capacity, length, width, number of decks and space ratio and try to picture the amount of passengers in that enclosed space. Just a little mathematical thinking and imagination and you can predict the crowded versus non crowded ships.

We recently went on the Voyager, I am not sure if bigger is better to be honest, it is certainly and experience on a large scale.

It was very competitive for seats in La Scala some nights.

Because it was a little cold for 80% of our Cruise there was plenty of room on the pool decks :D

The Bars could get busy, especially the Schooner Bar and the Viking Crown lounge, it had a great view over the pool areas and almost impossible to get a window seat as certain passengers set up camp there for long periods of time knitting and so on.

I would like to sail on Voyager on an Island Cruise but the size could be an issue with using tenders at some of the nicer destinations.

We had a really good time and the ship is in immaculate condition with a great crew, enjoy your Cruise.

We sailed on the Liberty of the seas which is much larger than the voyager. Our cruise was fine with regards to people except at Muster, which is a once off. The adults only pools were great. We didn't bother with the shows. And there weren't that many kids. BUT the next cruise started in Europe's school holidays, and was packed with kids (we had a late departure so could see the next lot of passengers) and we both commented that suddenly the ship seemed to teem with kids. And not in a great way. Kids like to play in the lifts and stairways and public places. Not ideal.

What Sutho says is right on from what I have seen.

The bigger the ship ,the more facilities and the more spread out peolple are.

Thats not to say at peak times there wont be a crowd....but you get that on all ships. If everyone arrives at the buffet at the same time for example...Yes it will be crowded...any ship will be.

Embarkation Day is always hectic too , so dont be worried by all the confusion as people get lost and wander about trying to find the various venues. Things tend to sort themselves out very quickly and you will soon be saying ...Where is everyone?

We recently went on the Voyager, I am not sure if bigger is better to be honest, it is certainly and experience on a large scale.

Because it was a little cold for 80% of our Cruise there was plenty of room on the pool decks :D

The Bars could get busy, especially the Schooner Bar and the Viking Crown lounge, it had a great view over the pool areas and almost impossible to get a window seat as certain passengers set up camp there for long periods of time knitting and so on.

I would like to sail on Voyager on an Island Cruise but the size could be an issue with using tenders at some of the nicer destinations.

We had a really good time and the ship is in immaculate condition with a great crew, enjoy your Cruise.

I absolutely agree with you. For me bigger is not better, I personally prefer Rhapsody and Radiance any day, but that is just my opinion :)

I absolutely agree with you. For me bigger is not better, I personally prefer Rhapsody and Radiance any day, but that is just my opinion :)

I would like to try the Radiance and I had my eye on a Cruise on her until we picked up a good deal on VOS.

I did really enjoy the Voyager but I am not fussed either way on Grand Promenades and the like.

In fact I am not worried about the Atrium area on any ship I have been on, much prefer the open deck or somewhere with a view of the Ocean.

But that's just me, if the weather had been warmer and not as windy on VOS it would have had the people more spread around the Ship I guess.

I would like to try the Radiance and I had my eye on a Cruise on her until we picked up a good deal on VOS.

I did really enjoy the Voyager but I am not fussed either way on Grand Promenades and the like.

In fact I am not worried about the Atrium area on any ship I have been on, much prefer the open deck or somewhere with a view of the Ocean.

But that's just me, if the weather had been warmer and not as windy on VOS it would have had the people more spread around the Ship I guess.

If you get a chance to cruise on Radiance or Rhapsody give it a go you can't go wrong as there are lots of windows and sea views. I too enjoyed my cruise on Voyager but would not cruise on her again.

If you get a chance to cruise on Radiance or Rhapsody give it a go you can't go wrong as there are lots of windows and sea views. I too enjoyed my cruise on Voyager but would not cruise on her again.

You were on our Cruise Cheryl?

24/11/12 - 08/12/12 NZ and Melbourne

It was our first time on RC, done a few on P&O and Princess.

I like the condition and newer Ship with VOS but I probably prefer the "feel" of P&O maybe it was the difference in ages of passengers being a 14 day NZ cruise this time.

You were on our Cruise Cheryl?

24/11/12 - 08/12/12 NZ and Melbourne

It was our first time on RC, done a few on P&O and Princess.

I like the condition and newer Ship with VOS but I probably prefer the "feel" of P&O maybe it was the difference in ages of passengers being a 14 day NZ cruise this time.

Yes I was on that cruise. The RC ships are nice with VOS being my least favourite, possibly because I felt so closed in all the time. I like the feel of Rhapsody/ Radiance they just feel a bit more modern to me and maybe because there are less passengers.

Yes I was on that cruise. The RC ships are nice with VOS being my least favourite, possibly because I felt so closed in all the time. I like the feel of Rhapsody/ Radiance they just feel a bit more modern to me and feel maybe because there are less passengers.

Appreciate the advice and info Cheryl.

I will be keeping an eye on Radiance Cruises next year.

I think RC would do really well if they based one of these ships out of Brisbane.

The variety out of Sydney is fantastic but the hassle and Airfair / taxi cost is an issue.

Just the Maxitaxis added $300 to our last Cruise.

Appreciate the advice and info Cheryl.

I will be keeping an eye on Radiance Cruises next year.

I think RC would do really well if they based one of these ships out of Brisbane.

The variety out of Sydney is fantastic but the hassle and Airfair / taxi cost is an issue.

Just the Maxitaxis added $300 to our last Cruise.

I'm in QLD too but in Bundy so I have to fly regardless. I love sailing out of Sydney, the harbour is so beautiful. I do factor in the airfare costs and I am always on the hunt for the best price I can get for my cruises.

I'm in QLD too but in Bundy so I have to fly regardless. I love sailing out of Sydney, the harbour is so beautiful. I do factor in the airfare costs and I am always on the hunt for the best price I can get for my cruises.

We still have children travelling with us so the costs escalate.

That's life though, we love sailing out of Sydney, we lived there for many years before migrating north a decade ago, we spent a lot of time around the Harbour and the Rocks.

We still have children travelling with us so the costs escalate.

That's life though, we love sailing out of Sydney, we lived there for many years before migrating north a decade ago, we spent a lot of time around the Harbour and the Rocks.

Cruising is a great holiday for kids. I was actually born in Sydney so I love going there for my cruises. I hope you do try Radiance I am sure you will like it, lots of glass for sea views and it also has more eating places than VOS.

Cruising is a great holiday for kids. I was actually born in Sydney so I love going there for my cruises. I hope you do try Radiance I am sure you will like it, lots of glass for sea views and it also has more eating places than VOS.

Thanks Cheryl, I am sure we will try Radiance in the near future.

M

We've done both and I've never been on a ship where you didn't feel like cattle at some point. That being said I'd take the promenade of the Voyager over the sometimes congested centrum of Radiance. BUT I also love the cubby holes/quiet places and windows of the Radiance. No such thing as a bad cruise... and we've had some great stories from a few! Eager to revisit the Radiance soon!

Karen

I agree with your sentiments. We just got off too. Met a lot of people who have cruised on rhapsody and radiance and they much preferred the smaller ships. I checked out the pig and whistle after a couple of days to see what beers they sold. I asked the waiter what sort of stout they sold and he said "whats stout" i said , like Guinness, he said , yes we sell Guinness and he handed me the menu, the second item on the drink list was Murphy's stout, which i love, i said i'll have one of those, he said sorry we haven't got any. So i didn't bother ever going back to this venue.

Yes I was on that cruise. The RC ships are nice with VOS being my least favourite, possibly because I felt so closed in all the time. I like the feel of Rhapsody/ Radiance they just feel a bit more modern to me and maybe because there are less passengers.

Keep in mind that Radiance & Rhapsody have had recent make overs, VOS is yet to have hers in 2014.

Radiance & VOS are about the same age, but Radiance was designed for optimising the view from all parts of the ship, so it feels very open with all the glass walls.

I agree with your sentiments. We just got off too. Met a lot of people who have cruised on rhapsody and radiance and they much preferred the smaller ships. I checked out the pig and whistle after a couple of days to see what beers they sold. I asked the waiter what sort of stout they sold and he said "whats stout" i said , like Guinness, he said , yes we sell Guinness and he handed me the menu, the second item on the drink list was Murphy's stout, which i love, i said i'll have one of those, he said sorry we haven't got any. So i didn't bother ever going back to this venue.

Firstly, hi DIY Dave and Tania .... from Deb (Britanis 1974) and Mark.

Agree with Dave that everyone that had sailed Radiance or Rhapsody said they preferred them to Voyager.

As it was our first cruise for many years I can only tell you what we thought was good/bad.

(1) Getting a lift at a set meal time was very difficult. On the plus side though we used the stairs a lot to negate the fantastic meals.

(2) Disembarking at ports was painful too if you wanteed/needed to get off as soon as you arrived. Maybe a wait of 30 minutes or more in the cramped corridors/stairwells of the lower ship. A bit of "queue rage" happening.

(3) We arrived for main dining room lunch one day at 12.50 and had to wait until 13.15 to get seated and then we were rudely hurried along by the waiter to get our order in and leave. The advertised time for MDR closing for entrance was 13.15.

(4) We always found seating in lounges which was nice. Plenty to choose from.

(5) If you wait until your allotted time for embarkation this process is generally good and quick considering the number of people. Well done Royal Caribbean!

(6) We were on 2nd sitting and there were always plenty of good seats for the evening show at 7.00pm which were for that sitting.

(7) Second sitting for dinner was wonderful. I believe it was quieter than first sitting and we had very attentive service from our waiter Shimrei and assistant wainter Nor Hollis.

Having said all that, it was a great trip overall. Vey jealous of anyone going on a cruise soon.

Archived