Those cold, hard rolls.

Ladysilver

We did enjoy the food in the MDR and the Windjammer on the Mariner a couple of weeks ago but I do have one gripe.....The bread/rolls. They were as hard as a rock, and cold. Would it be that much trouble to have hot, soft rolls at dinner? Is that too much to ask? :(

I can't be the only one who thinks so...

I love to bake - the hard rolls and rock hard cookies were especially frustrating to me. We cruised Freedom in Sept. I actually complained to the Hotel Director about it. He said that by the time they get the rolls from the kitchen to the table they're no longer soft. With the cookies, he said there's so much AC blasting in the ship/windjammer that it dries the cookies out. He suggested rolling your cookie in your napkin for 10-15 mins and it will get softer. :rolleyes:

Not an ideal solution in my mind.

Seems so!

Geeze! if that's all you have to complain about cold hard dinner rolls, I guess the majority of your cruise was all good then!

I would think that there was PLENTY of other food available to eat?

Ha Ha! You're right, the cruise was fantastic! I just love my dinner rolls warm and soft. :D

DH loves the savory bites. I like the crusty sourdough rolls. some would call those "cold, hard", but please know crusty rolls and crusty french bread appeal to some people. of course there should be room in the bread basket for a soft roll...hot poses timing issues in huge dining rooms serving many, many guests.

Seems so!

Geeze! if that's all you have to complain about cold hard dinner rolls, I guess the majority of your cruise was all good then!

I would think that there was PLENTY of other food available to eat?

Good grief. All she said is that the rolls were cold and hard as rocks. She did preference her comment by saying that she enjoyed the food.:rolleyes:

I love warm bread and am willing to risk the carbs for it. I would rather eat good bread and skip dessert. I can remember the baskets of warm bread served "family style" on the table during my first RC cruise. I can also remember when they served soft cookies. I'm not a fan of the bread and cookies they have now. They are too hard and cold. I guess they had a problem with "too many hands in the bread basket" so started serving the rolls individually. I have managed to get warm bread sometimes from Portofino but not often.

It seems like all the cruiselines have started serving cold, hard bread. I've cruised on both HAL and X recently and neither of them has good bread in the dining room either. The bread they serve isn't worth eating. On HAL we ate in their Italian specialty restaurant one night and they served this fabulous garlic bread. It was hot and fresh from the oven with lots of butter and garlic - crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle. It was such bliss after over a week of the hardtack they called "dinner rolls" in the MDR. The rest of the meal was only so-so, but I had two servings of the garlic bread. I couldn't tell you what else I ate, but I remember the bread. :D

Don't forget the biscuits in the WJ......probably the worst excuse for biscuits in the universe :p

That was so true. If people find them bad, few people take them and they sit under the heat lamp all morning, getting worse and worse. But this month on the Explorer DH said they were pretty good. OK, he is not a picky eater, but surely they were better. Next time, who knows?

I cannot recall what the bread was like in Portofinos.

How about Chops and the other speciality restaurants?

the same everywhere I went.

I got a roll in the MDR that had raised so much inside the hard exterior was almost no bread, just big voids where there was once CO2, it was essentially a hollow shell. I almost died laughing.

the same everywhere I went.

I got a roll in the MDR that had raised so much inside the hard exterior was almost no bread, just big voids where there was once CO2, it was essentially a hollow shell. I almost died laughing.

My husband had one of those too! :eek:

Don't forget the biscuits in the WJ......probably the worst excuse for biscuits in the universe.

When I saw that they actually had biscuits and "gravy", I just had to have some. One bite was enough. Being a southern girl, I was very disappointed. :(

A question of taste and what you are used to ;).

After one week of so-called sponge-bread in Florida, we were so surprised and delighted to get crusty rolls on the Oasis!! We felt like home! :D

What's that? I'm in FL,but drawing a blank.

Yeah, the gravy in the WJ with the biscuits is truly terrible. As for the cookies, I don't know why they just don't bake them for a minute or two less to keep them chewy. Baking 101 ;)

Archived