Waitlisted

angel24_ga

We need to book 1 more cabin on a cruise that is "sold out"

They told me we could get on a waitlist. Has anyone ever experienced this?

I am at a loss of what to do at this point. We are 1 cabin short for our cruise that leaves next week.

You DID wait a bit late. Check the website to see if there are any "Guarantee" bookings available for IS, OV, BL or ST categories - you won't know whwere the cabins are located when assigned. Otherwise, if the PAX are OK with literally last minute notice, you could try the waitlist. ken

I thought the cabin was booked. Something happened and the booking didn't go thru. We just learned of this 2 days ago.

It is a huge mess. Plane tickets bought and all. I was hoping there was a chance rooms were held until the day of sailing but wishful thinking I guess.

i see nothing- not even guarantee rates for this sailing.

how far down will then be on the wait list.

THat is your only shot.

being waitlisted they will have to take whatever comes available

Are there extra spots in any of the other cabins you booked? Ie 3 in a quad, or 2 in a 3 person cabin?

If yes, maybe you could nicely ask if they will allow your extra people to fill those spots, instead of having their own cabin. Better than missing the trip entirely.

Strange the booking error wouldn't have been noticed at final payment time? Did they PAY for the cruise?

Good luck!

PS ... If they are flying to port anyway, it's probably worth thinking about alternate plans, just in case. Like a hotel in Miami, or wherever you're sailing out of, to make the best out of things and enjoy the vacation anyway. Are there any other cruises that date NOT sold out they could do instead?

Why did the people who this affects not notice it - they would have had to make a finally payment long before this. If they are not cruisers and did not know this why did the TA/PVP in charge of booking not pick up on this. They would be the ones responsible. I am so sorry for this happening to you and truly hope you can get a cabin somehow, someway - like another poster said, if you are all friends/family and really want the whole group to go - double up if at all possible. Please keep us informed as to what happens

Are there extra spots in any of the other cabins you booked? Ie 3 in a quad, or 2 in a 3 person cabin?

If yes, maybe you could nicely ask if they will allow your extra people to fill those spots, instead of having their own cabin. Better than missing the trip entirely.

even if other cabins had extra beds= if the cruise is at capacity they will not be able to fill those beds.

The OP posted awhile back that someone in their group was going to wait until this week to book. Quite the risk if that's the case. :confused:

This would make sense now - someone would have picked up on the final payment thing I would think.

I will say at this time of year with all the flu and other bugs going around (flu is the worst it's been in a decade), there is a decent chance of people having to cancel due to illness. Like another poster said, how far down the list would you fall?

Alternatively, are there other cruises leaving from the same port the same day? Are those full? I know it's not ideal, but if the flights are purchased already, you gotta make lemonade. Good luck!

I thought the cabin was booked. Something happened and the booking didn't go thru. We just learned of this 2 days ago.

It is a huge mess. Plane tickets bought and all. I was hoping there was a chance rooms were held until the day of sailing but wishful thinking I guess.

Ouch! Maybe see what other cruises/cruiselines have openings for the same timeframe (even if shorter cruises)?

Doesn't matter, but I'm confused from posts above whether someone was actually booked and the booking got screwed-up, or you thought someone had booked but the waited until this week to try to book?

ken

Once the final payment date comes and no payment is made the cabin becomes available to be booked by someone else and hence the waiting list. It is too bad that the TA/PVP did not have a list of all the cruisers and when final payment was due for each one. When each person booked they should have been given the date when final payment was due - if one was not contacted this would have been a heads up that something was wrong and could have been caught right at the beginning. I really hope things work out for you - like someone said, flu season is upon us so maybe some will have to cancel last minute. Hope they are high on the wait list at least.

I am at a loss of what to do at this point. We are 1 cabin short for our cruise that leaves next week.

wow, that is a bummer. Try booking guests in your cabin if there is room, might be a tight squeze but at least they will make the cruise.

Check Craigslist of your departure point. I almost snagged a CHEAP trip from NO, but someone beat me to the seller

I would not even want to speculate how that is done-- unless its a travel agent selling it.

When a cruise is cancelled after final payment you have to have one original passenger in the cabin to do a name change.

Please be careful here.

It was completely my fault. I was booking a ton of cabins. We started with 100 and ended up with 20 in the end. This one was added after final payment.

Evidently, I never sent the authorization form back in for this particular cabin and no one caught it (at least that is what they are telling me). My friend who was supposed to go has never logged in to check anything until a few days ago and that is when we found out.

Luckily this is a good friend of mine and not a stranger. We will hopefully work something out. We are on the waitlist. Our TA is closed until Wed so we can't find out anything until then.

Thanks for all the posts everyone.

OH and yes the other friend who was waiting until this week to book of course missed out to.

I would not even want to speculate how that is done-- unless its a travel agent selling it.

When a cruise is cancelled after final payment you have to have one original passenger in the cabin to do a name change.

Please be careful here.

Thanks for saying something. I was thinking the same thing.

It was completely my fault. I was booking a ton of cabins. We started with 100 and ended up with 20 in the end. This one was added after final payment.

Evidently, I never sent the authorization form back in for this particular cabin and no one caught it (at least that is what they are telling me). My friend who was supposed to go has never logged in to check anything until a few days ago and that is when we found out.

Whether a form was sent in or not seems like a strange reason to lose out on a cabin - was your friend charged for the cabin? If so, the TA is at fault. If not, I guess a new cruiser could think they'd be charged at boarding if things were not fully explained ... but I wouldn't shoulder the blame for this ... if you have a TA who handles groups routinely, the TA should be a little more proactive - if you added a cabin and didn't forward in a form, the TA should have followed up ... just sayin' - and for the record, I'm not one who believes all TAs are bad or sloppy ... but there are certainly enough out there who are to give the rest a bad name. This TA made a minimum of $2000 on your group. Doesn't seem like it should have been too much trouble for him/her to follow up on a missing form.

Whether a form was sent in or not seems like a strange reason to lose out on a cabin - was your friend charged for the cabin? If so, the TA is at fault. If not, I guess a new cruiser could think they'd be charged at boarding if things were not fully explained ... but I wouldn't shoulder the blame for this ... if you have a TA who handles groups routinely, the TA should be a little more proactive - if you added a cabin and didn't forward in a form, the TA should have followed up ... just sayin' - and for the record, I'm not one who believes all TAs are bad or sloppy ... but there are certainly enough out there who are to give the rest a bad name. This TA made a minimum of $2000 on your group. Doesn't seem like it should have been too much trouble for him/her to follow up on a missing form.

Not that I know how the OP and the TA were doing things, but what if the agreement between the two was for a form to be sent to add people and the TA didn't get the form so therefore didn't know this friend wanted to sail? Starting with 100 cabins and down to 20 probably resulted in many conversations etc. so using a paper trail would make things easier. How is that the TA's fault? Just playing devil's advocate here, not trying to cause trouble.

Working with a TA, I am sure everything will work out one way or another.

Happy sailing! and Happy New Year.

Archived