Tere Moana live

Emdee

I take umbrage at the term guinea pigs. Passengers have not paid top dollar to be guinea pigs.

I have not drunk the koolaid and you will have it like i see it.

Major discontent on board so much so that no comment cards were given last night. The PG veterans like Zupan, Jacques, Nikolai chief engineer, Rogelio do what they can to band aid things but worried about burn out for them. These are definitely part of the pg dream team!

St Bart's was its usual charming Caribbean st tropez. Plenty of large yachts. DD and myself contributed to the economy with a second foray in the afternoon. Many passengers decided to have the cheeseburger in paradise last night.

Personally there will have to be major effort to salvage the rep. Hope there is no collateral damage to my fave ship.

More later

Miriam

Flight medic I personally feel a credit will sweeten the current bad taste for many.

When we had dinner with mr bailey DD mentioned that rccl offered free drinks on some of the earlier cruises of oasis while they were getting their act together. On cruises like its a common practice to offer some compensation. Have recd this from regent and celebrity on past sailings.

When checking in the clipper passengers had heard all from passengers they had met.

Had a horrible night yesterday. Stabilizers not working if any....now at airport waiting for flight.

More later.

Miriam

Im going to wait another 2 weeks to hear what Mike has to say if more problems are getting fixed. If it doesn't get better we might cancel our reservation on the new ship. We already have plane tickets but I wouldn't mind just hanging in Saint Martin for 10 days. Hopefully things get better and this becomes a mute issue.

Remember to keep the followup post coming Mike, thanks.

Emdee, thanks for your no-holds-barred assessment of Tere Moana. I'm so very sorry that it wasn't up to expectation and I do hope that things come together. Inaugural sailings are usually fraught with problems and should probably be priced accordingly! I'm curious what Richard Bailey had to say about all this?

Once you're settled, I'd love to get your take on the feel of Tere Moana. Does it have a similar vibe to PG? Did the ship feel too small? Was there enough public spaces for when you wanted to be alone? Are there many 2-tops in the dining room? We're social but not big joiners when we cruise, so having our own space is important. PG was perfect for us and I hope Tere Moana has the same feel.

Mike, I also encourage you to keep up the postings. We're hanging on every word!

Hi everybody. We have reserved on the Tere Moana for the repositioning cruise in November. Starting to get cold feet about the crossing. Anyone been on a ship this size transatlantic? Thinking about rebooking on the Azamara. Thoughts? Thanks, B

Hi everybody. We have reserved on the Tere Moana for the repositioning cruise in November. Starting to get cold feet about the crossing. Anyone been on a ship this size transatlantic? Thinking about rebooking on the Azamara. Thoughts? Thanks, B

My DW has done 5 on Sea Dream whihc is about the same size. She usually goes east to west but has never complained about rough seas. The rocking and rolling that they have experienced this week does not surprise me. We have been in the Caribbean on Sea Dream five or six times, this time of year and it is always rocking and rolling. In the summer in the med, Sea Dream rides smooth as silk.

Yes, Emdee, we are looking forward to your thoughts. Never meant offense about the guinea pig comment; just meant you should not be subjected to poor treatment at full prices! I suppose it's not very polite to refer someone to a rodent...so sorry!:o

Interesting to hear about the motion. Is the TM supposed to be stabilized? We have sailed the Caribbean frequently this time of year, and yes there are winds, but I was concerned about the size of TM. We had briefly considered it for our big birthdays cruise next year, thinking we could easily cancel Jewel, if reports were good, but we have booked our air to San Juan, so it's a fait accompli- no TM for us this year when there are so many options in the Caribbean. If I wish to spend that kind of money; I would gladly go back to FP.

Safe journey home to you, DD and Dr D!

Yes, Emdee, we are looking forward to your thoughts. Never meant offense about the guinea pig comment; just meant you should not be subjected to poor treatment at full prices! I suppose it's not very polite to refer someone to a rodent...so sorry!:o

Interesting to hear about the motion. Is the TM supposed to be stabilized? We have sailed the Caribbean frequently this time of year, and yes there are winds, but I was concerned about the size of TM. We had briefly considered it for our big birthdays cruise next year, thinking we could easily cancel Jewel, if reports were good, but we have booked our air to San Juan, so it's a fait accompli- no TM for us this year when there are so many options in the Caribbean. If I wish to spend that kind of money; I would gladly go back to FP.

Safe journey home to you, DD and Dr D!

First night out on our way to Sait Barts. YES, the motion is ROCKING AND A ROLLING. we have no stablizers. Dinner last night was great and service is a lot better.

We have been informed that the seas and wine will continue to be, I'm be nice, not so good, until we get to Cartagena.

Comments from some of the talbes last night were as last week, food great, service needs work. but having been on for 8 days now, I can see it on it's way to what we know on the PG.

We have a new 1st officer, he looks 12, but hope he knows what hes doing. Just kidding, but he looks 12. New wines, much better.

We are just about 5 mintues from Saint Barts, so will keep my ear out for other comments and report back today. itls getting better, but the ship is small and rocks a lot!

Mike

According to this link, the ship has four stabilizers.

http://www.tauck.com/ships/MV-Tere-Moana.aspx?print=true

(Look under dining and amenities)

Having sailed SD many times, I really suspect that people are simply not used to small ship sailing, and that until mother ocean clams down it is going to rock and roll even with the stabilizers in use. Remember this is really a small ship and is subject to motion much more than something larger.

When the ship sailed from Lisbon only 2 stablizers were working of the 4. The others would need dry dock to repair them. On the last night we overheard someone telling richard bailey that they had problems with the remaining two. The rockin was not the usual and expected amount. Even at anchor it was horrible sometimes. We have been on about 50 cruises of different size ships even one that had 80 passengers only but what we experienced was sometime unbearable. The last night particularly we didn't sleep a wink and all our fruit basket, water bottles and everything else on the tables were on the floor. Some other passengers said their chairs fell.

If all 4 stabilizers are working then I am sure the ride will be relatively smooth.

When the ship sailed from Lisbon only 2 stablizers were working of the 4. The others would need dry dock to repair them. On the last night we overheard someone telling richard bailey that they had problems with the remaining two. The rockin was not the usual and expected amount. Even at anchor it was horrible sometimes. We have been on about 50 cruises of different size ships even one that had 80 passengers only but what we experienced was sometime unbearable. The last night particularly we didn't sleep a wink and all our fruit basket, water bottles and everything else on the tables were on the floor. Some other passengers said their chairs fell.

If all 4 stabilizers are working then I am sure the ride will be relatively smooth.

Just talked to the Capt. Due to high winds we are changing our plans. I'll post after Capt. lets all the others know. nothing big, just a change to a new port when we can doc and let everone get some rest. We did have a bit of a night, but would not call it unbearble, just not so much fun.

had a great day on the beach, looking forward to dinner

Good to hear Mike. The passengers need some regular docking and the poor tired zodiac operators need a day off. Now just hope the ship is fully staffed soon as well.

Changes in ports is nothing new for veteran cruisers though some missed expectations could result.

Nicole from Cruise critic will be onboard and I have encouraged her to also post.

All the best for a safe and enjoyable voyage.

Hi Mike... it was great to meet you on the TM last week. You were such a positive influence to many of us who were comparing the PG to this new, smaller and obviously fledgling inaugural voyage.

I look forward to hearing more about how the ship improves, if the staff burns out, and if Tim becomes more confident. Thank goodness for Jacques!

I am still rocking and rolling, even on terra firma. I did NOT enjoy the extreme movement of the ship at night- and the banging from the waves on apparently ice-proof hull... The temperature of the interiors left a lot to be desired as well.

I too think a rebate of some kind would be appropriate here- It would go a long way to help us feel as though we've been heard.

Safe and happy voyage with your friend, Mike.

~Pam

Hi Mike... it was great to meet you on the TM last week. You were such a positive influence to many of us who were comparing the PG to this new, smaller and obviously fledgling inaugural voyage.

I look forward to hearing more about how the ship improves, if the staff burns out, and if Tim becomes more confident. Thank goodness for Jacques!

I am still rocking and rolling, even on terra firma. I did NOT enjoy the extreme movement of the ship at night- and the banging from the waves on apparently ice-proof hull... The temperature of the interiors left a lot to be desired as well.

I too think a rebate of some kind would be appropriate here- It would go a long way to help us feel as though we've been heard.

Safe and happy voyage with your friend, Mike.

~Pam

Due to high winds and seas, we have deverted to Pointe A Pitre where we will dock and spend the night, sorry for any misspellings but I'm trying to hold on as I post. Very rocky night, today still rocking and a rolling but sun is out and we have food. Staff, and Jacques is at a burn out, jacques was up all night trying to make sure we are OK.

Dinner last night was again GREAt. Talking to others are understanding that we are on a small ship and not much they can do. We should reach port by 12:00, will see if anyone leaves the ship.

Jacques and Capt have let us know that the next two days at sea and when we get into the pacific the rocking and a rolling will continue.

tim is doing great. just a hit for you that got off last week, last night was 100 times what we had our last night.

All of us, including staff is looking forward to a day and night parked. I think I'll sleep on the dock. haha.

will post when we get to Pointe A pitre.

Mike still having a great time

Sorry to hear about the bad weather, Mike. But we cruisers have all been hit by a storm from time to time. My issue is that things were bad when they shouldnt have been bad.

Sorry to hear about the burnout - hope you get new staff in Cartagena.

I enjoyed all my dinners on the ship as well.

We are scheduled to cruise the Tere Moana in November 2013. We a scathing comment on CruseReport.com claiming not enough food, not enough seats in dining rooms, short breakfast, lunch and dinner service times, and a description of the ship as a "rust bucket". We were ready to cancel, but this thread of communication is more optimistic. Can anyone comment on whether some of the issues, particularly early breakfast, lunch and dinner, will be addressed for future cruises? Is the lack of food on board really true? Are there really no appetizers available, and no room service? Thanks all.

This was an inaugural cruise. and Not to be compared with the seasoned Paul Gaugin. By the time you cruise, I'm sure it will be a completely different experience. The staff had just met each other AND come onto the ship only a few short days before sailing. All but the Hotel Director, Jacques, and the Captain, were new to the ship, so you can imagine how the first day was. But it continued to improve daily as everyone got their 'sea legs'. There were appetizers at some of the "special" cocktail hours: the christening and new year's eve, but only mixed nuts other nights. But plenty of food- my god, the new year's eve dinner was 10 courses and 3 hours long! With seconds on huge lobster tails if requested!

It is a small ship and indeed was rocking and rolling- and noisy at night due to the new steel 'ice worthy' hull- but the cabins were lovely (we enjoyed a cabin with a deck) (I suggest NOT booking 508, due to the proximity of the exterior door that banged each time someone went through).

Not the best cruise I've taken (Paul Gaugin takes that award, hands down), but I'd be surprised if major improvements haven't been made by the time of your cruise. Best wishes, and Happy New Year!

Well we are on are way into the Caribbean Sea with 36 hours to go. While it's rocking, the Capt is doing a great job of keeping us in the soft roll so no rocking. Last night was great, Uriah and I went up on deck and whatched to stars. Sleeping was great, a little rock but no roll and no banging.

Capt has informed us that we will be 4 hours late to port, slowing down to stay out of any bad weather upahead. Sun is out and everyone is up on deck sunning, i'ts a bit hot, but thats whey we are in the Caribbean.

Dinner, again last night was great and you can see a big improvment in service, staff is working well together. Tim has come into his own and doing a great job. Uriah has been playing and singing in the grand salon and everyone seams to enjoy the extra intertainment.

Lower cabins are a bit more stable that up on deck 5, one or two got off and will re-join us in a few days. Beds are the best I have enjoyed. very very nice.

Today we are just kicking back and enjoying the weaterh. I can see a big differance from last week in staff and service. Dinners are still dinning, as I would want, but you can get in and out in 2 hours or less. Staff is in a better state of mind and I have not heard any problems. ship is working well, AC works just fine.

Well i't nap time, then cocktails and dinner. hope the weather holds until noon.

Mike :) :) :)

We are scheduled to cruise the Tere Moana in November 2013. We a scathing comment on CruseReport.com claiming not enough food, not enough seats in dining rooms, short breakfast, lunch and dinner service times, and a description of the ship as a "rust bucket". We were ready to cancel, but this thread of communication is more optimistic. Can anyone comment on whether some of the issues, particularly early breakfast, lunch and dinner, will be addressed for future cruises? Is the lack of food on board really true? Are there really no appetizers available, and no room service? Thanks all.

There was plenty of food

Agree about seats in the dining room -seats 78 but with 90 guests the second venue needs to be used at all times. Some guests were out of luck on a few days.

Dining hours are extremely small

I heard that the ship had some rust and is being cleaned up.

Two choice of apps at dinner but nothing during the cocktail hour. There was a very limited menu at room service but only until 9 pm.

Service did improve but IMO its understaffed .

Ship certainly is a work in progress.

Not quite to Aruba, we are going to be around 4 hours late due to weather, but thanks to the great Capt we have been able to get 18N out of a ship that only can get 16N. haha we had the wind to our back. this also helped as the seas were at 4 to 5m ( 12 to at times 18 feet), we did not feel it like last week. it was just a nice roll, no rocking or bangs.

Service is still a work in progress but much better. So far this week I have not viewed anyone not being seating during the first and only dinner service. They have been having some speical dinners up in the La Veranda on the back deck that could be helping, but no one has been left out in the cold to wait for a second seating. I will re-count the seating today and re-post.

we will be in Aruba , Oranjestand until 12 midnight, so Uriah and I will try eating out.

The 36 hours across the seas went quite well, in fact a lot of fun. Tim had a lot to do and most just sat in the sun.

Mike

Archived