loyal Princess cruiser, debating on Baltic cruise, Carnival Legend vs Princess

vmom

I am in the middle of planning a cruise to northern Europe area. Was comparing cruises and prices.

I noticed that the Carnival Legend goes to the Baltic for 12 days and is half the price of Princess.

With European cruises being so port focused, I am debating on trying out the Legend and saving the extra money for port excursions. The Legend has a 12 day for $1229 per person /inside cabin.

Princess is double that. I don't want to be disappointed in the cruise but that savings could be used for excursions.

I also have noticed that sometimes Princess cruises to Europe drop in the spring, so I was debating on if I should hold off and wait for price drops.

I would be cruising in July 2012.

Any and all thought would be appreciated.

My first thought is that you missed your cruise . . . No, no, I know you meant 2013.

My real thought is that the Princess itinerary is better -- departure from Copenhagen instead of London (not that I don't love London, and I guess if you've never been there, that's a plus), and you get Oslo, Aarhus, and Stockholm. The Carnival itinerary, by contrast, has more sea days and a short port call (4pm sailing) in Copenhagen.

Another consideration: with four sea days, that's a lot of time on a ship you maybe aren't sure you'll enjoy.

I think, if it were me, I'd wait for spring to see if the price drops, and see what your TA can do for discounts, too.

While I'd consider the price difference my experience particularly to Europe is that prices drop considerably so it may end up close to the same price. My recently completed Rome to Galveston cruise dropped considerably plus we got better cabins between initial booking & final payment.

I don't know if Carnival has an overnight stay in St. Petersburg but I'd highly recommend the 2 day stay as I found it to be one of the most interesting places I've ever visited.

While I've only sailed on shorter Carnival cruises several years ago from LA to me their Vegas-glitz type of cruising is not what we prefer on our cruises but it may be okay for you.

While I'd consider the price difference my experience particularly to Europe is that prices drop considerably so it may end up close to the same price. My recently completed Rome to Galveston cruise dropped considerably plus we got better cabins between initial booking & final payment.

I don't know if Carnival has an overnight stay in St. Petersburg but I'd highly recommend the 2 day stay as I found it to be one of the most interesting places I've ever visited.

While I've only sailed on shorter Carnival cruises several years ago from LA to me their Vegas-glitz type of cruising is not what we prefer on our cruises but it may be okay for you.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with price drops. I was thinking that maybe the price would become more competitive. The Vegas-gllitz style is not my cup of tea either, which is why I have been reluctant to try Carnival in the past.

My first thought is that you missed your cruise . . . No, no, I know you meant 2013.

My real thought is that the Princess itinerary is better -- departure from Copenhagen instead of London (not that I don't love London, and I guess if you've never been there, that's a plus), and you get Oslo, Aarhus, and Stockholm. The Carnival itinerary, by contrast, has more sea days and a short port call (4pm sailing) in Copenhagen.

Another consideration: with four sea days, that's a lot of time on a ship you maybe aren't sure you'll enjoy.

I think, if it were me, I'd wait for spring to see if the price drops, and see what your TA can do for discounts, too.

Oops, glad you caught my typo...yes I meant 2013.

Actually I am looking for cruises that go out of London since there is a professional conference in London we will be attending. I was hoping to add the cruise to our plans either before the conference or after the conference, so we will have to be in London anyway. Besides, I have never been to England and was looking forward to some touring there.

We sailed the Carnival Splendor with the same itinerary in 2008, as well as the Carnival Liberty Med twice before that. Note that the Carnival atmosphere in Europe is entirely different from the Caribbean Carnival atmosphere, which we have also experienced. Having also sailed the Ruby Grand Med, I would say that the European Carnival ships are not wild party ships at all, and are very similar, in our experience, to those of Princess. Both ships had a large mix of older folks, younger adults, and families, including Americans, Europeans, and Australians. I would also say that the Carnival Baltic cruise was my favorite of all the ones I have sailed. Because of the outstanding itinerary, I highly recommend either one. If you have a particular interest in seeing Berlin on your own, the Legend wins based its early port arrival, which usually allows passengers to catch the first ICE train to Berlin.

First thing I would do is put down a deposit for the Carnival Legend. If the Princess price does not drop you will be locked in and if it does you can cancel the Carnival cruise and get back the deposit. Being Europe this will not be a party ship but a sight seeing cruise for most passengers. Since you mentioned you will already be attending a conference in London the Carnival cruise should save in airfare and convenience. From London you can probably transfer to Dover by using National Express bus service, inexpensive and convenient and maybe stay a night or 2 in Dover. The Legend does stop in Amsterdam, great port, think Ann Frank house, Van Gogh museum if you haven't been before. I love Princes but I believe you wouldn't be disappointed with Carnival on this particular cruise. Ken...

I am in the middle of planning a cruise to northern Europe area. Was comparing cruises and prices.

I noticed that the Carnival Legend goes to the Baltic for 12 days and is half the price of Princess.

With European cruises being so port focused, I am debating on trying out the Legend and saving the extra money for port excursions. The Legend has a 12 day for $1229 per person /inside cabin.

Princess is double that. I don't want to be disappointed in the cruise but that savings could be used for excursions.

I also have noticed that sometimes Princess cruises to Europe drop in the spring, so I was debating on if I should hold off and wait for price drops.

I would be cruising in July 2012.

Any and all thought would be appreciated.

If you are comparing the Ocean Princess Baltic trip that leaves the same day as the Legend, than I think waiting for a better fare on Princess isn't that wise. The Ocean Princess is a much smaller ship than the Emerald and certain categories are already sold out. I'm on the June trip and there are very few rooms left. The best prices were around Labor Day. There is an air fare incentive right now that might help with the price difference. Plus the OP voyage is two more days and includes Stockholm, Riga and Klaipeda.

Cruise lines and cruise ships are not fungible. Just because you like cruising on Princess does not mean that you will like cruising on Carnival. (The same is true vice versa). Carnival is a much different cruise experience than Princess. Quite a few people like both but you should really investigate whether you would like the Carnival lifestyle. Price should not be the determinate factor.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was actually looking at the Crown Princess. The price is about $2700 for 14 days. I know its 14 days vs 12 days, but it also has 4 sea days. Its about a $1400 difference in price compared to the Carnival Legend.

Another idea was the HAL Ryndam which is a 7 day from the London area to Norway. If we went that option, we would spend some of the extra time seeing England.

There was also a Celebrity cruise to Iceland which fits into our dates. I just am not at all familiar with Iceland so I don't know if that is of interest to us or not. I have never talked to anyone about Iceland before.

Unfortunately and fortunately, having a conference in London has both a good and negative side. The conference is what brought about the idea of going on a European cruise to begin with since we have to be there anyway, why not combine it with vacation time. The downside is that we are limited to our sailing dates.

If you are comparing the Ocean Princess Baltic trip that leaves the same day as the Legend, than I think waiting for a better fare on Princess isn't that wise. The Ocean Princess is a much smaller ship than the Emerald and certain categories are already sold out. I'm on the June trip and there are very few rooms left. The best prices were around Labor Day. There is an air fare incentive right now that might help with the price difference. Plus the OP voyage is two more days and includes Stockholm, Riga and Klaipeda.

If it's on the Ocean that would be a big consideration for me because whenever I've considered a smaller Princess ship prices were higher & being popular ships with less available cabins may often be priced higher.

That's good to hear that it's generally not a party crowd on Carnival in Europe but there's nothing they can do about the ship's interior design. Maybe newer ships aren't as shocking to the eye with lots of neon & shine. As I said previously I'd consider Carnival if the price was drastically lower. Now it's up to the OP to consider all of the variables to decide the best way for them to experience a wonderful Baltic cruise. :)

Archived