Bridge Tour ?

I am going on the Jewel shortly and I have read several threads over the past 6 months about Bridge Tours. It sounds like on some ships, I have read they are complementary to Suite Guests.

I am not talking about the all-access tour, but just a bridge tour. Does anyone have any experience with the bridge tour arranged through the concierge on the Jewel?

I am going on the Jewel shortly and I have read several threads over the past 6 months about Bridge Tours. It sounds like on some ships, I have read they are complementary to Suite Guests.

I am not talking about the all-access tour, but just a bridge tour. Does anyone have any experience with the bridge tour arranged through the concierge on the Jewel?

If you are in a Grand Suite and above they will offer it to you. If you are D+ or above it will be offered no matter the cabin level.:)

No experience with Jewel specifically, but on other ships the Concierge has contacted us about a bridge tour. Jewel may or may not have a program for bridge tours for suite guests, but it won't hurt to ask.

For cruises of 7 day's or longer, they usually offer an "All Access Tour" or "Backstage Pass Tour" that allows you to see the galley, bridge, engine room, and other areas usually off limits. The cost of the tour is $150 pp. Also, if in a GS or above you can talk with the Coincerge about a bridge tour complimentary.

The tours are dependent upon nothing else goin on onboard. By this, I am referring to illness issues (Noro). When we sailed NOS in November, all tours were canceled - which was a bummer, but understand why.

Bridge tours are still available, as many have stated above, but they are controlled differently ever since the Costa Concordia sank.

Expect to be searched, and have a tour given by a 2nd or 3rd officer. It's still very interesting to see and listen how a ship is run, and the controls, from the video cams on every area of the ship, to the watertight door system, to how they move fuel from tank to tank to keep the best balance, and bouancy.

The GPS and radar overlay, along with the fact that an officer still has to plot the actual course by hand....well, to me it is interesting every time that I have a chance to visit the bridge. It's something about being a retired pilot, that I enjoy what is happening on the bridge.

If you don't get an invite, it never hurts to ask for a tour.:)

Rick

Bridge tours are still available, as many have stated above, but they are controlled differently ever since the Costa Concordia sank.

Expect to be searched, and have a tour given by a 2nd or 3rd officer. It's still very interesting to see and listen how a ship is run, and the controls, from the video cams on every area of the ship, to the watertight door system, to how they move fuel from tank to tank to keep the best balance, and bouancy.

The GPS and radar overlay, along with the fact that an officer still has to plot the actual course by hand....well, to me it is interesting every time that I have a chance to visit the bridge. It's something about being a retired pilot, that I enjoy what is happening on the bridge.

If you don't get an invite, it never hurts to ask for a tour.:)

Rick

My husband is an Aeronautical/Mechanical Engineer and would be fascinated as well. When we were on Oasis, I asked the Concierge for a bridge tour and he told me that there was only the All access tour at 150.00. So I hope it works out.

On the NCL Star last month they gave a bridge tour to all the people who signed up for he CC Roll Call.

They did not search anyone. Just said not to touch anything.

Camera's were allowed and you could take all the photos you wanted.

The even let you pose at the wheel for pictures.

The guy explained everything and answered all questions.

If you are a non-english speaker, it sometimes helps to get on friendly terms with the International Rep, they sometimes can arrange for a bridge tour, but in the end, it all depends on the captain.

I also had some success on writing a short letter c/o the captain, explaining the reason why I would be interested in seeing the bridge, in my case it was my uncle who was an engineer and interested in technical stuff.

We then were contacted by someone of the cruise director's staff, telling me that we would be able to visit the bridge at one of the ports and we would get a call when.

Archived