Bringing back spices and teas from Spice Bazar

Hello Everyone,

We will be visiting Istanbul and I am very excited about visiting the spice bazar! I am interested in bringing back with me some spices and teas just for our own use and maybe a little as gifts. Is there a problem bringing back on the boat? Then when we fly home from Rome to NYC? Should I put them in my carry on or checked luggage? I hate to have them open my luggage just to see what it is? Any suggestions/experiences appreciated!:o

I would stick to buying things that are packaged rather than loose. You shouldn't have a problem with anything as long as it's packaged.

On re-entry to the US, you will have to fill out the customs form and have any items you purchased handy in case they want to look at them. (They almost never do, but just in case....) I usually put any items I've purchased either in my carry-on or near the top of my suitcase in case I have to dig them out.

Just be careful and don't purchase anything with dried flowers or seed pods, etc., as these are likely to be confiscated. I am not sure why bringing back spices is popular, as I didn't see anything special there, but maybe I missed it?

As an aside, spices in the US are sterilized as they can contain fungus and bacteria. Not sure this is practiced at the Spice Bazaar in Istanbul.

Hello Everyone,

We will be visiting Istanbul and I am very excited about visiting the spice bazar! I am interested in bringing back with me some spices and teas just for our own use and maybe a little as gifts. Is there a problem bringing back on the boat? Then when we fly home from Rome to NYC? Should I put them in my carry on or checked luggage? I hate to have them open my luggage just to see what it is? Any suggestions/experiences appreciated!:o

No problem at all bring them back. The merchants will vacuum seal them for you. Put them in either your checked or carry on luggage and just be sure to declare them. Look for saffron - excellent quality and inexpensive.

Hello Everyone,

DW has purchased spices in Morocco and tea in China. We had not problem at US customs bringing back to USA since they were in sealed packages.

I love to cook so I too have purchased spices in both Egypt and Turkey. The vendors always seal them for me and I have had no problem either.

I purchased some wonderful whole vanilla beans in Egypt and they were sealed - I declared that I had spices and no problem. I would imagine these would be considered a "seed pod" but the customs clerk just looked at them.

The curry is amazing too. Everytime I open my spice cabinet I remember my trip to Egypt.

The apple tea from Turkey is really yummy and my favorite.

I would stick to buying things that are packaged rather than loose. You shouldn't have a problem with anything as long as it's packaged.

On re-entry to the US, you will have to fill out the customs form and have any items you purchased handy in case they want to look at them. (They almost never do, but just in case....) I usually put any items I've purchased either in my carry-on or near the top of my suitcase in case I have to dig them out.

We have been back and forth across borders and one time customs did pull us aside. So glad we always keep an envelope for our receipts and things we bought easy to find. They looked and saw we were exacting, including books which apparently are not subject to customs. Glad we are in that habit. Don't know about the others around who were having every sock looked at. Keep a paper list of purchases and an envelope with receipts. I don't know about spices but we will see when we go to Istanbul soon. When we were leaving France, we were told that the herbs of Provence we were not allowed to bring into the US. They were not sealed though, just in fabric.

When we were leaving France, we were told that the herbs of Provence we were not allowed to bring into the US. They were not sealed though, just in fabric.

Hmmm, interesting, as I brought back some lavender that was not sealed but also in fabric (sachets) and again, I had no problem.

Even on our recent visit to Honduras (Christmas week) when coming back into Houston customs, we were asked if we had any plants, tobacco products etc. Unbeknownst to me my husband had put 2 cigars in his carryon. He told the customs agent about them and she just waved us thru. Didn't even ask if they were Cuban or Honduran....... go figure.

I think it wise to declare all purchases (I always do) and I also keep receipts even though after extensive travel never having been asked about any items.

I think it depends on the customs agent and their mood for the day :rolleyes:

I have never had a problem bringing back spices either sealed or unsealed. The one time I did get checked coming back from Istanbul they set aside the unsealed spices 9i plastic bags with ties) and weren't concerned about them at all, what they were concerned with was the pouch of bath salts. :D

I love buying Saffron in Turkey. What I paid $16 for was easily worth $100 here, so I guess it is what spices you use. I also bought Tumeric but the Saffron was the big hit. I use it to make tikka masala or add it with water when I am cooking my rice. Absolutely delicious with chicken almond curry or beef vindaloo.

• 2 weeks later...

Look out for long (a meter and longer) pieces of cinnamon or cassia bark.

They make really cool decoration pieces. They are not (too) good for eating, as they are the lesser quality parts of the plant, but they look very smart.

Archived