What to wear on formal nights

susiemcc

Going on Adventure of the Seas and was wondering if on formal nights Men require to wear suits - or would shirt and tie and smart trousers be acceptable - husband intended packing a suit but the weight of the case was just about at our limit with the suit in. Also at night on the ship is it quite cool - going around in short sleeved dresses etc would I be warm enough? :)

Going on Adventure of the Seas and was wondering if on formal nights Men require to wear suits - or would shirt and tie and smart trousers be acceptable - husband intended packing a suit but the weight of the case was just about at our limit with the suit in. Also at night on the ship is it quite cool - going around in short sleeved dresses etc would I be warm enough? :)

Some posters will tell you otherwise but what you describe for your husband is fine for formal night. I usually wear short or sleeveless dresses but I usually take a light weight shaw in case I am too cool.

I hope you have a great cruise!

Sherri:)

It seems for men that a nice pair of slacks and a shirt, preferrably with a tie is quite acceptable.

I know that some wear less, bucause it is only "suggested' wear!

I'm still wearing either a tux or a dark suit and tie. But that's just me.;)

Rick

What you described sounds great :) I brought a wrap with me but didn't really need it at night with my dress. Have fun!!

Hi,

The variety of clothing in the MDR on formal nights varied from full tux to casual though I didn't see blue jeans. November sailings.

ETA Sleeveless or short sleeves at night was more than enough for me :)

We ascribe to the suit and dress option for formal nights. But that being said, we did see the afformentioned dress down on both formal MDR nights on our recent EOS to the extend of sneakers, jeans, printed T-shirts and baseball caps (turned sideways and backwards I might add) for the entire family. (The mom was minus the cap, however, but not the dad). So it does run the gambit!

I wear a tux and wife dresses, and we appreciate everyone who dresses for formal night to help keep the spirit of the evening. If packing weight is an issue try wearing a nice sport coat onto the airplane - they haven't started weighing passengers yet. Pack the casual windbreaker - it's lighter than the suit of jacket.

Ken S

Also doing southern Caribbean on AOS in late March. Anyone know which nights are the formal nights? I am looking to book Portofinos for one of the formal nights.

Thanks,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am usually cold in the evenings on the ship and am amazed at how many woman are wearing sleeveless dresses. If you are usually cold in restaurants, I would definitely bring something for my shoulders. Even my husband complains - he usually wears long sleeved dress shirts in the evening.

The last ship we were on was cold everywhere - day and evening - but that is not usually the case.

Shirt, tie and dress pants for DH, knee length dress and heels for me. I don't do the long, formal gown, just pretty dresses a little nicer than sun dresses.

On 2 different ships I was never cool within the ship, sleeveless was comfortable.

I am usually cold in the evenings on the ship and am amazed at how many woman are wearing sleeveless dresses. If you are usually cold in restaurants, I would definitely bring something for my shoulders. Even my husband complains - he usually wears long sleeved dress shirts in the evening.

The last ship we were on was cold everywhere - day and evening - but that is not usually the case.

I have to agree with this. If my dress is sleeveless then I am wearing a jacket, sweater or a wrap. I bring lots of 3/4 sleeve tops for onboard. We are used to very hot weather living in SE Texas and keep our AC set at 79 in the summer. They keep the ships a whole lot colder than that so I am always freezing onboard. I have no idea how others stand it in sundresses.

Most men will have on at least sport coat and tie, but I have never seen them give any grief for just shirt and tie. Sadly, I have never seen anyone called out for anything, including tee shirt, and backwards baseball cap kept on during the entire meal. This was on the Oasis, and I was pretty dissapointed to see this allowed on a formal night.

I wear full length gowns on formal nights, and my husband wears a very nice suit and tie. On the other nights, I love to dress up. I wear nice dresses, but I think most fall short of being classified as cocktail dresses, yet they aren't as casual as sundresses. That is my own personal choice though.

I've been on 3 cruises so far. Two were on Explorer, and I found the ship cold. The dining room didn't seem too cold, but I think that is because you have a lot of people in there. Out in the rest of the areas though, I was freezing! By the way, the majority of people dressed the same way we did.

I was on Monarch, and figured a 4 day cruise may not be as formal overall. I wore an ivory satin cocktail dress and my husband wore his suit. I was quite surprised to see a large number of full length gowns. Monarch was not that cold. I was quite comfortable.

I am on Freedom in February, and have been debating about a wrap. I don't think I will need one on formal nights, because a long dress that is lined can be warmer than a shorter light weight dress. I am wondering about the other nights though. I was thinking of bringing a wrap or two. My outfits come from a particular color family, so I can probably bring an ivory or metallic gold shawl and wear it with anything. Same with the shoes.

Archived