Tuna Fish .....

sail7seas

Warning to anyone who doesn't care about the tuna fish in Lido. :cool: Stop reading now.

I know I am going to get the sarcasm and eye rolling but if I didn't wish an answer, I wouldn't be asking the question.

I LIKE tuna fish. For lunch, I enjoy a salad I make at Salad Bar and a spoonful of tuna fish with a few crackers. I've eaten it for years but cannot do that now.

I tried it on Oosterdam and hated the tuna fish. They had changed brands and it tasted cheap and salty and awful to my personal taste. I was disappointed to not be able to have my usual lunch with the tuna as my protein. Figured it was just that ship/that cruise.

Tried it again on Westerdam and if possible it was even worse. I found it inedible.

What is up with the awful tuna fish?

Anyone else notice it or am I the only one eating that on a cruise ship with all those other choices available.

Anyone who wants to tease me....... I'm ready - go for it. :D

Warning to anyone who doesn't care about the tuna fish in Lido. :cool: Stop reading now.

I know I am going to get the sarcasm and eye rolling but if I didn't wish an answer, I wouldn't be asking the question.

I LIKE tuna fish. For lunch, I enjoy a salad I make at Salad Bar and a spoonful of tuna fish with a few crackers. I've eaten it for years but cannot do that now.

I tried it on Oosterdam and hated the tuna fish. They had changed brands and it tasted cheap and salty and awful to my personal taste. I was disappointed to not be able to have my usual lunch with the tuna as my protein. Figured it was just that ship/that cruise.

Tried it again on Westerdam and if possible it was even worse. I found it inedible.

What is up with the awful tuna fish?

Anyone else notice it or am I the only one eating that on a cruise ship with all those other choices available.

Anyone who wants to tease me....... I'm ready - go for it. :D

Judy, since there are different types of tuna, the switch has probably been made to a 'lesser' type, such as 'Tonga',:eek: whereas, in my view,' Albacore':) is the BEST variety of tuna! ;) But, nutritionally speaking, in my view, (red) salmon would always be a better choice than tuna, anytime/anywhere, including the Lido!! :cool:

My favorite entree at dinner is salmon.

If I eat much more of it at dinner, I will probably start swimming upstream. :rolleyes:

But thanks for the heads up in case some of us were not aware of the high omega three fat content of salmon.

Research tuna,,,,, aside from a mercury risk from some tuna, it is also a 'healthy fish'.

Judy, since there are different types of tuna, the switch has probably been made to a 'lesser' type, such as 'Tonga',:eek: whereas, in my view,' Albacore':) is the BEST variety of tuna! ;) But, nutritionally speaking, in my view, (red) salmon would always be a better choice than tuna, anytime/anywhere, including the Lido!! :cool:

I think GN has hit the nail on the head. I prefer salmon too so, I can't comment on the tuna:D

My favorite entree at dinner is salmon.

If I eat much more of it at dinner, I will probably start swimming upstream. :rolleyes:

But thanks for the heads up in case some of us were not aware of the high omega three fat content of salmon.

Research tuna,,,,, aside from a mercury risk from some tuna, it is also a 'healthy fish'.

I think GN has hit the nail on the head. I prefer salmon too so, I can't comment on the tuna:D

We were posting at the same time. :)

I eat very little red meat, some chicken, most fish served hot in Lido is either in too much butter or is fried.......

When looking for a protein to add to my salad, tuna fish is to my taste and when not made with a lot of mayonaise, I feel a better choice than deep fat fried served as fish and chips in Lido.

But, of course, nutritional comparison is not what I am asking.

Quality/Taste of the tuna fish is what I am questioning and if anyone else noticed the 'downgrade' or was it just my imagination.

Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately depending on your point of view, I grew up in the Pacific Northwest. In the early 60's, once I was able to drive, my mother used to send me down to the docks where the commercial fishing boats tied up. During the season I used to go down there and buy fresh caught salmon....wild salmon....straight from the fishermen. They'd literally take a canvas tarp and lay it out on the dock and pile a "mountain" of ice on it. Then they'd take some of their catch and lay it on the ice. You could buy a 20-30 pound salmon for $5! Same with crab when it was in season. Kind of got spoiled. :) Anyhow, I still love fresh seafood but have noticed that much of what we get today is farm raised and quite frankly it's just not as good as the wild version. I understand we have and can't continue to over fish the ocean and I accept that but it's not as good as the "real thing".

I tried the tuna in the Lido on my recent Westerdam cruise and I also didn't care for the taste of it. I also like tuna on a salad, but not that tuna. I always order cans of tuna from Tuna Guys and it tastes great. I have no idea what HAL is putting out.

I hate to recommend it, but you can purchase good albacore tuna in pop-top cans. You might consider stowing a couple of these in your luggage next cruise to get your "fix". :D

You can also get it in the tear open pouch. That way there is no can to deal with. I have taken to carrying one or two of these when I travel, especially to conferences where meals are provided. They have saved me numerous times.

Debbie

You can also get it in the tear open pouch. That way there is no can to deal with. I have taken to carrying one or two of these when I travel, especially to conferences where meals are provided. They have saved me numerous times.

Debbie

I love that idea. I usually get my salad and then go to where they're carving chicken or turkey and get a slice of that for my protein. Truthfully, I've never tried their tuna and don't know where it is in the Lido. I don't think I've ever even seen it. Is it on the salad bar?

Because, now of course, I'll have to try it.

I always buy white tuna packed in spring water. One time, DH bought "light" tuna by mistake...it was gross. So perhaps that's what HAL uses? It's less costly than white.

Good idea to bring the pouches...I'll add that to my list.

I eat nothing but Albacore at home. I buy the solid packed in water. HAL is probably serving the wretched "light" tuna - the brown stuff that stinks and tastes awful - it is way cheaper in British Columbia than Albacore. I have never seen Salmon Salad on a HAL sandwich bar. I always use canned Sockey at home. Don't care for the Pink. If HAL did make a salmon they would probably use the cheap pink stuff which I call crap along with the brown tuna.:(

Another person here who only buys albacore packed in water....absolutely cannot eat the other stuff...awful:eek: But also have not seen tuna in the Lido but then I was probably not looking for it...

Higher quality salmon packed in the small cans like tuna is also good...with just a bit of mayo...on crackers for a nice lunch. Dil who is a fitness trainer carries the small pouches of tuna with her when she travels...

Another person here who only buys albacore packed in water....absolutely cannot eat the other stuff...awful:eek: But also have not seen tuna in the Lido but then I was probably not looking for it...

Higher quality salmon packed in the small cans like tuna is also good...with just a bit of mayo...on crackers for a nice lunch. Dil who is a fitness trainer carries the small pouches of tuna with her when she travels...

Same here on the albacore.

The only tuna we have found is in the area where they make the sandwiches. I agree it is not good. This is also the only place where they have potato salad. We have found some days it is good and some days it is not. I think it depends on wheter it is fresh or left over from the day before.

DH tried the tuna at the sandwich station over a year ago on the Noordam. After one bite he quit eating it. He said that it was too salty to his taste. We never thought anything about it. I also suggested that HAL was probably buying a cheap brand as we had noticed the quality of the food at dinner was not up to (our) standards.

He never tried it again after that on any ship.

Dang! Now I have to pack my own tuna too. What's HAL's policy on bringing tuna fish on board? Can I just buy a case of it and slap a luggage tag on it? LOL

The more I think about it, It's just not worth the hassle. I'll just struggle through eating salmon all week long. :D

I tried the tuna in the Lido on my recent Westerdam cruise and I also didn't care for the taste of it. I also like tuna on a salad, but not that tuna. I always order cans of tuna from Tuna Guys and it tastes great. I have no idea what HAL is putting out.

:) I used to like the brand they served in the not so distant past but I think those who suggest they are not serving albacore white tuna are probably right.

Isn't it something we're having a conversation about bringing along our own tuna fish for those who like a little on their salad. :rolleyes:

I can 'sort of understand' bringing soda and water to have brands you like but to now have to bring groceries????

Like everyone else on this thread, we only like white albacore and my favorite these days is Trader Joe's...... no salt added. I like the taste of their brand. I used to like the gold can Bumble Bee brand but now like Trader Joe's better.

Thanks everyone.

Archived