Universal Travel Adapter

Hi All,

I will be sailing on the rhapsody of the seas in February and was told that I would need a US travel adapter and a European travel adapter so that I can plug in my Australian chargers & electronics.

Today I went and had a look at a few different retailers and found out that I would need to buy 2 separate adapters, which I wasn't real keen on doing as we would have to pay twice.

But what I was wondering was if anyone has seen a Universal travel adapter that covers a wide range of sockets, that I could use, which the retailers didn't have within Australia.

Kind Regards,

Slim

Slim, I got one from Aldi, but that was a couple of years ago. It is in a small black box and includes adaptor pieces for all types of gadgets. Another suggestion is to look at http://www.myshopping.com.au and search for universal power adaptor...there are several there that you can order online, all for under $10. Another suggestion is to take a powerboard, if that is still allowed, and just the US adaptor. fyi there is another outlet under the beds.

But what I was wondering was if anyone has seen a Universal travel adapter that covers a wide range of sockets, that I could use, which the retailers didn't have within Australia.

Kind Regards,

Slim

I found this one on eBay... it is also available as a single unit item.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-All-in-One-Universal-World-Travel-Power-AC-Adapter-Plug-AU-UK-US-EU-Japan-New-/390462460806?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae9605386

When travelling you need one "2 flat pin" and one "2 Round pin" to Australian 3 pin,2 flat are more common but both are very cheap! take an Australian 4 plug adaptor board to plug all your stuff in with the one adaptor.

The 2 round are good for TV Bar fridge and shaver points in many instances and 2 flat for more common wall outlets (not UK Though)

I have been travelling for many years and I can get an Australian 2 pin plug to fit any wall socket except British without an adaptor (not recommended though):D

Den

They are common as and you don't have to go to the truble of getting them of ebay with all the issues with them;

http://www.globaltravelproducts.com.au/store/edge-universal-travel-adaptor-with-2-x-usb.html

or even Officeworks;

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Technology/Power-Supplies/Travel-Adaptors/JAPTAUSB

Basically plug your Australian equipment in and you can then plug it into tghe power points of over 150 other countries.

I have also seen similar in other stores such as Dick Smith, Kmart, Big W, Myer etc...

One thing to remember. Plug in those items that need 220V into the Euro power point and those that can work on 110V into the US one. Most electronic device chargers these days can handle 110-220v - check out the lable on the device. If it has the 110-220 range then you can plug into the US power point (with USA/Aus adapter). If it only operates on 220v then it won't work efficiently when plugged into the USA one.

One thing to remember. Plug in those items that need 220V into the Euro power point and those that can work on 110V into the US one. Most electronic device chargers these days can handle 110-220v - check out the lable on the device. If it has the 110-220 range then you can plug into the US power point (with USA/Aus adapter). If it only operates on 220v then it won't work efficiently when plugged into the USA one.

Thats a good point...but as you say mobile phones, laptops and the like are dual voltage and meant to be used around the world (also probably cheaper to make rather than have 2 different versions).

But some items that may not be dual voltage (although not sure you are meant to have them on board) are things like hairdryers and electric razors.... not needing to use either. :D

Also see if you can find one that also has in built USB outlets - then if you have something like an iPhone or iPad you can plug direct in like you would do on a computer and charge it via the USB outlet.

Finally, before I forget (and I'm no electronics expert so this may not be correct), I assume if something that is dual voltage is plugged into 110 volts will take longer to recharge than it would if plugged into 220 volts (anyone?)

Thats a good point...but as you say mobile phones, laptops and the like are dual voltage and meant to be used around the world (also probably cheaper to make rather than have 2 different versions).

But some items that may not be dual voltage (although not sure you are meant to have them on board) are things like hairdryers and electric razors.... not needing to use either. :D

Also see if you can find one that also has in built USB outlets - then if you have something like an iPhone or iPad you can plug direct in like you would do on a computer and charge it via the USB outlet.

Finally, before I forget (and I'm no electronics expert so this may not be correct), I assume if something that is dual voltage is plugged into 110 volts will take longer to recharge than it would if plugged into 220 volts (anyone?)

You hit the nail on the head about charging rates. Also a good point about the USB, i have one that i got from Jaycar (old Tandy).

You can take a hairdryer on board - same rules apply re correct voltage. There is a small hairdryer on board RCL ships.

We have a universal charger with USB and it is great though ours has a separate top for the USB and therefore has the risk of being lost. If you can get an all in one model IMO that would be better. The unit cuts down the number of adapters we need to take overseas as we usually visit several areas on each trip. FWIW we also take a small travel power board so we can charge/ plug in more than one thing at a time.

They are common as and you don't have to go to the truble of getting them of ebay with all the issues with them;

http://www.globaltravelproducts.com.au/store/edge-universal-travel-adaptor-with-2-x-usb.html

or even Officeworks;

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Technology/Power-Supplies/Travel-Adaptors/JAPTAUSB

Basically plug your Australian equipment in and you can then plug it into tghe power points of over 150 other countries.

I have also seen similar in other stores such as Dick Smith, Kmart, Big W, Myer etc...

Its that long since I bought an adaptor and so many things are usb now! thanks for the above links,I will go get one today:)

Den

I had problems trying to charge a camera on our December trip till I changed it to the 220 volt outlet - 110 just wasn't enough to charge it.

Just something to be aware of it things don't seem to charge normally.

Dont worry about getting a USA adaptor. You only need a European adaptor and a small power board. We've just been on Voyager of the Seas and this is what we took. The USA power voltage is much lower than Aus. The European is 230v which of course is much closer to our voltage than the USA.

Hi All,

I will be sailing on the rhapsody of the seas in February and was told that I would need a US travel adapter and a European travel adapter so that I can plug in my Australian chargers & electronics.

Today I went and had a look at a few different retailers and found out that I would need to buy 2 separate adapters, which I wasn't real keen on doing as we would have to pay twice.

Kind Regards,

Slim

usually available at the post office $10 for complete set

Dont worry about getting a USA adaptor. You only need a European adaptor and a small power board. We've just been on Voyager of the Seas and this is what we took. The USA power voltage is much lower than Aus. The European is 230v which of course is much closer to our voltage than the USA.

I did this exact thing on recent voyager cruise. Worked perfectly.

I am intriuged at the need for both a US and European adaptor. We have travelled on Rhapsody 3 times in past two years (including after refurb) and only ever used a US to Aus adaptor for our chargers and stuff?

You don 't need both, you can use either. As per my post #7 most equipment these days have inbuilt dual voltage but some Australian equipment is still uniquely 240V and this is where some people come unstuck by only having the USA adaptor as the item will not work properly because of the lower USA 110 volts. Another reason some people take both is to utilise the power outlets without the need to take a power board.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure would but i would plug a power board into it for more outlets. Note that you still need your special adapter for the new ipads.

I have noted that on Celebrity Solstice at the desk there are two outlets...one is US (at 110v) the other is Euro (at 220v).

For our cruise next month I have therefore bought two adaptors.

One is Sansai model STV 9 which is the US parrallel flat pin with round earth, and the other is Sansai STV 10 which is Euro parallel round pin.

Bought both at a "Dollars and Sense" style shop for about A$7 each.

Should cope with our abundance of cameras, phones, tablets etc. even with a power board or two :D

Will give the USB charging adaptor a miss. Charging via USB always takes forever, especially compared with direct charging using the devices power supply.

cheers

Archived