Monaco to Eze or Cap Ferrat

calvin81

We have a long port day in Monaco. While we will want to see Monto Carlo, I think we have time to see more. The bus to Eze Village is supposed to be only 25 minutes, but I've read comments about issues with the bus. Can someone enlighten me about potential problems? Also close by is Cap Ferrat and there is apparently a bus from Eze -- any idea how long it takes and how often it runs? From there we could take a bus back to Monaco or a train, which might be safer in terms of time as traffic isn't an issue with the train. The train is supposed to be only 10 minutes from Monaco, with 2 an hour. Am I attempting to do too much in one day? We don't leave until 11 p.m. so could see some of the Monte Carlo sights in the evening even. In June I imagine it's light longer.

After being there last fall, my advice is to get with a small group for your Roll Call and hire a private driver. If it is raining, skip Eze (it's a nice quaint uphill town that is impossible to navigate in the rain. Trust me, you will be miserable.:() Also, or instead, go to St. Paul de Vence (well worth a visit), and then hit Monaco.

Thanks for your reply -- I was thinking there wouldn't be any response. Which is unfortunately the same problem with our roll call. Very quiet! With the just the two of us I don't think I'd go to the expense of hiring a driver. We are stopping in Cannes the next day for another long day and I was thinking we'd do St. Paul de Vence from there. I will take your advice and skip Eze if the weather isn't good. I saw a link to the bus schedules in another post, so will try to figure out the timing. I don't think we'd need more than a couple hours in Eze, but the bus to Cap Ferrat leaves from Eze Bord de Mer, not Eze Village, so we'd need the bus between the two Eze's as well.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for your reply -- I was thinking there wouldn't be any response. Which is unfortunately the same problem with our roll call. Very quiet! With the just the two of us I don't think I'd go to the expense of hiring a driver. We are stopping in Cannes the next day for another long day and I was thinking we'd do St. Paul de Vence from there. I will take your advice and skip Eze if the weather isn't good. I saw a link to the bus schedules in another post, so will try to figure out the timing. I don't think we'd need more than a couple hours in Eze, but the bus to Cap Ferrat leaves from Eze Bord de Mer, not Eze Village, so we'd need the bus between the two Eze's as well.

There are buses from Monaco for 1.5 Euros that will get you to Beaulieu. Beaulieu is beautiful and from there you have many choices. One is that you can take the walk to Cap Ferrat-just ask anyone the way to walk to Cap Ferrat along the Promenade-the walk is beautiful.Beaulieu itself is also beautiful to walk around-you will not be disappointed. There are two interesting sites worth seeing here-one is Villa Kerlos which is right on the water and a short walk from the bus stop. It is set up like a Greek Palace and is quite interesting. Another place well worth your while is to visit the Villa Ephrussi Rothchild. It is about a mile walk from Beaulieu but well worth it. The villa is open to the public and is high on a hill that overlooks the Med. It has the most beautiful gardens I have ever seen and at the Villa you can have tea or lunch.

As for Eze there is a bus from Monaco that will get you there quite easily but it will be too much to attempt both (Beaulieu and Eze). Instead if you go to Eze and want to do something after then just get on the bus again and get off in NIce (the buses go between Monte Carlo and Nice). Nice has a lot to offer between being on the water,museums and tons of places to eat. On the way back to Monte Carlo if time is of the essence you can take the train back instead of the bus.

Enjoy whatever you decide.

Irwin (aka Rodan)

Thank you for another idea of what to see that day. We plan to go to Nice from Cannes, the next stop on our cruise. But Beaulieu is a good option. It seems like Eze is limited by frequency of buses -- I am understanding that is the main problem? I saw some pictures of Eze, including the garden on the hilltop and I really would love to see it, but not if it's a big hassle. The gardens at Villa Ephrussi may have to be enough. Is the schedule for the bus between Eze Village and Eze Bord de Mer online anywhere? With only 7/day from Monaco to Eze Village we may just go straight to Cap Ferrat anyway.

Thank you for another idea of what to see that day. We plan to go to Nice from Cannes, the next stop on our cruise. But Beaulieu is a good option. It seems like Eze is limited by frequency of buses -- I am understanding that is the main problem? I saw some pictures of Eze, including the garden on the hilltop and I really would love to see it, but not if it's a big hassle. The gardens at Villa Ephrussi may have to be enough. Is the schedule for the bus between Eze Village and Eze Bord de Mer online anywhere? With only 7/day from Monaco to Eze Village we may just go straight to Cap Ferrat anyway.

I visited Eze as part of a private tour from Cannes to Monaco, while on the Ruby Princess TA last Fall, and it was one of my favorite things. It's just charming, and rather amazing seeing this medieval village perched atop this "gigantic rock". The uphill climb is nonstop till it's time to turn around and go back down!! Quite an experience!

If you can make it work to get there, I hope you get as much pleasure from visiting it as I did.

Speaking to the specific question of the OP....the problem with the buses to and from Eze Village are simply to the frequency. In simple terms they just do not run very often. We do agree that 2 hours in Eze is plenty of time for most folks unless they plan on eating a long lunch. When you start to ask about expanding your "horizons" and going to multiple places.....we think a rental car becomes an invaluable asset. Must time can be lost waiting for buses and trying to time your visits to coincide with a schedule whereas with a car you can make your own schedule :)

Hank

There are buses from Monaco for 1.5 Euros that will get you to Beaulieu. Beaulieu is beautiful and from there you have many choices. One is that you can take the walk to Cap Ferrat-just ask anyone the way to walk to Cap Ferrat along the Promenade-the walk is beautiful.Beaulieu itself is also beautiful to walk around-you will not be disappointed. There are two interesting sites worth seeing here-one is Villa Kerlos which is right on the water and a short walk from the bus stop. It is set up like a Greek Palace and is quite interesting. Another place well worth your while is to visit the Villa Ephrussi Rothchild. It is about a mile walk from Beaulieu but well worth it. The villa is open to the public and is high on a hill that overlooks the Med. It has the most beautiful gardens I have ever seen and at the Villa you can have tea or lunch.

We've done as you suggest here from Monaco. What a perfect day! This day was the highlight of our 15 day trip for one of my traveling companions.

Archived