Glory- Bringing in the New Year !!!

KPGirl

Just got back from New Years on the Glory, had an amazing time Loved the ship, the food, the staff. Didn't like some of the rude cruisers and a certain ethnic group that believes that need to be so loud that no one else in the area can speak !!!! There was a large family that sat behind us at dinner and we couldn't talk to each other because they were so loud and they said nothing as their children would help themselves to the bread basket or clang the knives on the glasses. No concerns with most children on the ship , all seemed pretty well behaved. I snuck a bottle of vodka on board in my suitcase, didn't drink a drop of it !!! My 17 yr old daughter and I shared some drinks no problem, someone did say something to her the first day when I let her have a glass of champagne. My 20 yr old son drank all week, my husband would just order a bucket of beer for them to share. Took SAS transportation to and from the airport, they were very reliable.

Nassau - walked to Junkanoo beach, the name suits it well, junky, garbage everywhere and the sand is rocky and shelly.

Puerto Rico - loved it, didn't even plan on getting off the ship, glad I did, such a pretty place.

St Thomas - took a $10 taxi ride to Sapphire beach, so pretty but crowded. Nice drive there.

Grand Turk - went to Gibbs Bay to swim with sting rays, Sting Rays were cool but snorkeling was disappointing. Went to the beach after, did a walk down to Jack's Shack, not worth the walk. Very quiet place, staff very quiet, not a party atmosphere at all and drinks were expensive, went to Margarettaville, 2 drinks and a shot of tequila cost $32 , yikes !!!! Everything pricey right near the port. I had bought picture frames in every port for about $14 here they same kind were $26.

Any questions ??

Took SAS transportation to and from the airport, they were very reliable.

how long did you wait--

how many people were in the vehicle with you-- did it feel crowded

and do you tip the guy?

what about your return trip

Thanks for the report KP! We were on the Breeze sailing the same day and we were waving like crazy to you guys at sailaway when we passed you guys twice (into the basin to turn then back out). :) Glad to hear you had a great trip.

how long did you wait--

and do you tip the guy?

Serene, I'm sure the OP will answer you but we also used SAS from POM last week and also had a very positive experience. From FLL to our Downtown Miami Hotel we had 8 people in the van (2 per row) and it didn't feel crowded at all. We were the 2nd to last couple loaded at FLL so we only waited an additional 5 minutes or so before heading to Miami. We were then the last to be dropped off in Miami which was fine by us becuase everyone else was going to POM so we got to see all of the ships!

On the way back, we waited about 10 minutes for the SAS van to arrive, we were the last couple to be picked up along with another couple from the Breeze, so we headed right to FLL aferwards. The van had 12 I think that time. A little more crowded (3 in the larger rows instead of 2), but I didn't feel crowded overall and would use them again in a heartbeat.

We tipped the driver $5 both ways. Not sure if that's standard or not, but we felt it was appropriate.

I'll be on this cruise sunday. Did they really get rid of the Mongolian Wok area? ?

sad to say but yes-- mongolian grill is gone.

Dave--thanks for the information. Its our first time using SAS

how long did you wait--

and do you tip the guy?

There were 8 of us and he picked up 2 others, not crowded. We called him when we got to customs and he was about 2o minutes. It was $13 per person, we tipped him $2 each.

What New Years Eve festivities did Carnival have on the Glory? I'm thining of booking a NYE cruise and it will probably be with Carnival.

There were parties everywhere, music, champagne, horns, throwing beads and glow sticks, fancy dinner..............

What did you do in San Juan? We are there soon and plan on just walking old town? Any small cafe's that you liked?;);)

We had a $10 tour in a taxi, you have to walk outside of the gates for that its $20 inside the gate. It was an older man named Angel, took us to the parlament buildings, to see a beach and around. Then we walked to the forts, in a bunch of shops then to Senor Frogs.

Did they have a Caribbean band or DJ on the Lido Deck for day time entertainment.

They had a DJ that played really good music and they also had a couple of guys that played guitar and sand once a day.

I want to interject some information for Glory cruisers in San Juan.

We are arriving in January. our day is from 7am til 3:30pm. Must be back onboard by 3pm.

San Juan is one hour ahead of Miami time. (carnival usually does not change clocks to reflect that time change-- be mindful of the time. do not ask anyone what time it is. do not rely on cell phones for time as these will change time to reflect island time)

when you arrive at 7am--its already 8am on the island. Forts open at 8.

Making your way off the ship at 7am and heading to the forts you will be the first ones to enter, then when you are ready to leave you start walking back to the ship-- taking in the shopping and the sites. and you will be ahead of everyone else since they are all behind you.

• 2 weeks later...
I want to interject some information for Glory cruisers in San Juan.

We are arriving in January. our day is from 7am til 3:30pm. Must be back onboard by 3pm.

San Juan is one hour ahead of Miami time. (carnival usually does not change clocks to reflect that time change-- be mindful of the time. do not ask anyone what time it is. do not rely on cell phones for time as these will change time to reflect island time)

when you arrive at 7am--its already 8am on the island. Forts open at 8.

Making your way off the ship at 7am and heading to the forts you will be the first ones to enter, then when you are ready to leave you start walking back to the ship-- taking in the shopping and the sites. and you will be ahead of everyone else since they are all behind you.

Thanks for the heads up about the time change in SJ. Can you walk to the forts - and then just walk all the way back? Or is it best to take a cab to the forts and then head back and sightsee?

Thanks for the heads up about the time change in SJ. Can you walk to the forts - and then just walk all the way back? Or is it best to take a cab to the forts and then head back and sightsee?

I think you could walk it, we walked back from it and it wasn't too long of a walk, and there was lots to see on the walk.

They had a DJ that played really good music and they also had a couple of guys that played guitar and sand once a day.

How was the rest of the entertainment? Unfortunately we have sailed with Tom Riccio in the piano bar before and we probably wont be spending any time in there on this trip :( but did you hear any of the other bands or entertainment in the evenings?

How was the rest of the entertainment? Unfortunately we have sailed with Tom Riccio in the piano bar before and we probably wont be spending any time in there on this trip :( but did you hear any of the other bands or entertainment in the evenings?

We walked by a few bands, actually thought it was bad karaoke then found out they were the band. Saw some really good comedy, piano bar was ok, very quiet and laid back. Superstar Karaoke was good. There wasn't any good shows to see but we still had a great time.

Archived