How to handle a husband that is not as excited as you

I am in the same situation with going on our first vacation without the kids and it seems like my husband is not as excited as I am for our cruise which is less than two weeks away! I tried the roll call but not many people are on there so it is not very active.

I totally understand that everyone shows their excitement and anticipation differently, but sometimes it is just nice to have someone else share the same things in the same way.

Hang in there and enjoy your planning and anticipation regardless of anyone else.

This is what Cruise Critic is for;)

I'm the uber planner, DH loves the trips, but just can't warp his brain around it till about 4 weeks ahead. Then he spends the next 3 weeks panicking about whether we will be able to do the stuff he wants ( which of course, I've already booked:rolleyes:) Luckily, both my Mom and my youngest daughter have the planning/get excited bug too, so if its a trip they are part of ( and they often are) I just talk to them!:p

BTW - oasis is great - especially for planners!

I must be the odd man out.

Nope. It's been great for DW and I to sit and plan our first cruise together. Booked Nov 30th and leave Feb 11th on the Ecstasy.

It's all a new experience for us - we'll be leaving the snow, flying 8 hours each way, leaving the 4 kids at home. We just spent about 3 hours looking at the web together trying to book our pre-cruise hotel. All mental ************ - just to find the "right" place at the right price. Truth is it doesn't matter but we spent that time together and know what we're heading into.

Also spent hours talking about excursions - I finally talked her into doing the people to people thing in Nassau, still can't get her to go fishing in Freeport, but heck it's been fun.

And yes, we're both working on losing a bit of extra flab, too. Truthfully, it's been very good for our marriage at this point.

My DH is exactly the same...."I will get excited when I am on the plane to the ship". Frustrating!!!!

Wow, it must be a guy thing! Both my husband and my SIL think its way too early to get excited for our cruise in August. So my daughter and I are doing all the footwork.

That's fine, when the time comes for info, they will be in the dark. In the meantime CC is where we get our cruise conversation "fix".

Don't worry he'll come around.

My DH doesn't care either!! Must be a man thing. I have learned not to let it bother me. He isn't going to ruin my fun!

Here's at least one guy with the opposite problem.

My wife doesn't get excited until about a week or 2 away. She does a decent job of pretending to listen to me go on about the cruise in the months leading up but I always find out later she only got like 10% of what I said.

On the other hand she is always impressed that I know my way around the ship from the moment we board.

Women love cruises because there is no cooking or cleaning! Cruising isn't any different than being home for men...they still don't cook or clean.

The most fun I ever had on a cruise was a transatlantic with my aunt. We stayed up very late and never once made it to breakfast! I also enjoy annual girls cruises.

My husband enjoys golf so I book cruises that offer golf excursions. He gets very interested in these cruises months in advance. We just got off the Mariner. He played golf in 2 of the 3 ports. He loved the cruise! This summer we're going on the Azamara British Open Cruise. I've also reserved another golf cruise for Thanksgiving...he plays golf and I don't cook Thanksgiving dinner!

Women love cruises because there is no cooking or cleaning! Cruising isn't any different than being home for men...they still don't cook or clean.

The most fun I ever had on a cruise was a transatlantic with my aunt. We stayed up very late and never once made it to breakfast! I also enjoy annual girls cruises.

My husband enjoys golf so I book cruises that offer golf excursions. He gets very interested in these cruises months in advance. We just got off the Mariner. He played golf in 2 of the 3 ports. He loved the cruise! This summer we're going on the Azamara British Open Cruise. I've also reserved another golf cruise for Thanksgiving...he plays golf and I don't cook Thanksgiving dinner!

Wow what century is this? I cook and clean quite a lot thank you very much.

And it's alot different than being home.

There's no ocean around my house, and certainly no buffet.

We have had a rough year and a half and have booked Oasis for this Aug. I am beyond thrilled and want to talk about it everyday dh on the other hand could care less. He claims he will get excited when we are on the ship. To me part of the fun is the planning and talking about it. How do you handle a situation like this?l this will also be our first vacation with out kids ever!!

Divorce

Let me clear a few things up. I am perfectly fine with dh not waiting to talk about a cruise everyday but he has had no input on the ship, itinerary, dates, child care or anything else for that matter. My issue is that he does not even want to have one conversation about vacation. Now on the other hand we talk about his interest multiple times a day and I mean multiple times. Let me also mention that we were married on a cruise and this is going to also be a birthday celebration as well. I will continue to to chat away on cc and enjoy my planning time and possible change out the passengers for my cruise :o!!

Tell him you are inviting him to become a new member of the balcony club :)

OMG.. That is extremely funny because of a balcony club thread from 2008 that had people rolling in the aisles on CC. I fear it would get people banned now, but man was it funny.

OMG.. That is extremely funny because of a balcony club thread from 2008 that had people rolling in the aisles on CC. I fear it would get people banned now, but man was it funny.

I have NO idea what you're talking about!! *bats eyes* ;)

My husband was the same before our cruise on OASIS in November. I booked the cruise in April and started planning immediately. When we left Switzerland to fly to Florida, I had a word doc printed out with 22 pages of information that I collected from reviews and posts here on the CC site.

After one week on a Harley cruising around Florida, we got our rental car in Tampa and on Saturday morning, started our road-trip to Fort Lauderdale. While he was driving, I've read him all 22 pages of information about the ship and by the minute, he got more excited. After we boarded the OASIS, he told me: "I think I already know the ship, your planning was excellent!".

Now we booked Liberty of the Seas in June for a Western Med Cruise and he already asked if I'm doing the planning again. But now, he's as excited as I am!! :D

Totally understand! My DH is the same way. I asked him once why he didn't seem excited about our upcoming (fill in any ship name) _____ of the Seas cruise, said the same "manphrase"...I'll get excited when it's closer. The only input I get is when I bring up shore excursions. Then it's just a yes or no. He will get his clothes together a couple of days before we leave.

So, I research and book the flights, hotels and any shore excursions months in advance. I check the deck plans, verify where our cabin is in relation to elevators/stairs, where food is located (very important), check the CC boards for reviews/recommendations, etc.

Now, on the other hand, once the vacation "officially" starts, he just hands me his wallet and never says a word about the seapass bill :D.

He's like me. I don't want to hear all the details of a cruise before I go. I book the cruise and flights and DW starts the research. I let her pick the specialty dining and the excursions, if there are any that interest us. I don't look at the deck plans or need to know where everything is. I don't read full reviews. I'm happy just reading the short reviews here in the RCI boards. I think after 20 something cruises I've become a ship guy. I just want to be on the ship with a cocktail and sitting in the sun. Life is good. Cut him some slack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My DH is the same way. I just come on here and do my research. I pull it all together and give it to him to look over. It usually sits on the table for a few days before he gets to it. If there is something critical I need his input on I push it but otherwise do my thing. Once on board he really does appreciate all the planning I have put into it, and since I enjoy the planning almost as much as the cruise itself it all works out.

Archived