Which line would you reccomend?

Hello all,

My husband and I are looking a cruise later this year or early 2014. We did 2 weeks on the Sea Princess in 2012, and I've previously cruised with P&O. We both loved the sea princess but found we were some of the youngest passengers (24) by some margin. While we'd be happy to cruise with Princess again I'm just wondering about other lines. What would you all reccomend for mid 25 year-olds? I've been looking at Royal Carribean which look fantastic and the rooms look heaps bigger than Princess which is a bonus for hubby. How about Celebrity/Carnival? I'm not really sure what else is out there - definitely don't want to slum it, we liked the elegance of Princess. We don't really drink or party, just want activities, nice rooms and atmosphere as well as pools/spas and movies. We're looking at either South Pacific again or NZ. I'd love to do Hawaii back to Aus if I can find a bargain deal, but we've just bought a house so don't think it will happen.

TIA

I think you could be happy with Royal Caribbean. They seem to do well on the longer voyages and I was left impressed with my sampler on Radiance of the Seas.

I am only 31 and like cruising a lot and am due to do Celebrity for the first time in March. If you keep this active I will report back how I liked it being one of the younger ones on the ships.

Carnival could be good but rather over priced in my opinion for the style they offer. P&O UK and Princess could be a good idea doing sectors from Australia. If you liked Sea Princess you will be even more impressed with the larger Diamond Princess that keeps coming here.

If you keen on Celebrity then just keep waiting and watching as they are just opening a bigger share of the market here with all the hype around Celebrity Solstice and its season here.

Hello all,

What would you all reccomend for mid 25 year-olds? I've been looking at Royal Carribean which look fantastic and the rooms look heaps bigger than Princess which is a bonus for hubby. How about Celebrity/Carnival? We don't really drink or party, just want activities, nice rooms and atmosphere as well as pools/spas and movies. We're looking at either South Pacific again or NZ. I'd love to do Hawaii back to Aus if I can find a bargain deal, but we've just bought a house so don't think it will happen.

TIA

Hi! Based on our family's experience (we have children your age) and your comments above I would say you are on the right track with Royal Carribean. Nice cabins, LOTs of activities, great entertainment, you will have a great time. Celebrity offers a slighty different experience when compared to Royal; they both have strong admirers you need to determine your best "fit." Royal has a very family friendly reputation with lots of activities that appeal to all ages. Our sons love sailing Royal. One son is booked to go on NCL Epic this Spring.

Celebrity tends to be a relaxing or as they like to say luxurious cruise. They don't have continous announcements, beach towels & bath robes are provided for on board use in everyones cabin including inside. Cool water & towels provided upon returning to ship after an excursion, little details like these that add up over the course of your vacation. Celebrity offers great cabins and excellent food. One area where some say there is room for improvement is in the area of entertainment/shows.There are many activities on board but not as many sports vs Royal. While Celebrity does offer children programs there tends to be fewer young children sailing Celebity. Celebrity's Solstice is sailing NZ/AUS South Pacific, she is lovely and would be an excellent choice as well. If you could book an Aqua Spa cabin you would be able to enjoy some spa benefits such as the Persian Gardens, Steam room, and Relaxation room every day, and a big plus to us... dine in specialty restaurant BLU everyday!

I hope that helps a little bit and that you have lots of fun on your next cruise!

More expensive Cruises lines and longer Cruises attract older passengers.

P&O UK have very old passengers if you get a leg of a World Cruise.

Cruises to NZ attract older passengers than Cruises to the Pacific Islands.

All generalisations but pretty accurate IMO :)

We did Voyager of the Seas in November last year around NZ 14 days and the bulk of the passengers were over 50 years old and there was only 92 kids in the kids clubs on a ship that holds over 3000 passengers.

The entertainment was targeted at the older demographics IMO, it was the weakest part of the Cruise.

P&O Australia are family orientated and do a great job with the younger set.

Princess would be ok for an 11 nighter around the Islands I think but 14 night NZ Cruise would have plenty of older passengers I think.

Don't be fooled by the size of cabin. Royal Caribbean's rooms (apart from suites) are smaller then the average cabin. Not by much but it can make all the difference. although they make up for it by tons of facilities, but Princess is by far the best for service, well mostly with their newer ships (the Diamond Princess) as the smaller ships are similar to any other line.

More expensive Cruises lines and longer Cruises attract older passengers.

P&O UK have very old passengers if you get a leg of a World Cruise.

Cruises to NZ attract older passengers than Cruises to the Pacific Islands.

All generalisations but pretty accurate IMO :)

We did Voyager of the Seas in November last year around NZ 14 days and the bulk of the passengers were over 50 years old and there was only 92 kids in the kids clubs on a ship that holds over 3000 passengers.

The entertainment was targeted at the older demographics IMO, it was the weakest part of the Cruise.

P&O Australia are family orientated and do a great job with the younger set.

Princess would be ok for an 11 nighter around the Islands I think but 14 night NZ Cruise would have plenty of older passengers I think.

P&O UK close to Australia does get the younger ones in. If the voyage goes through the Caribbean then there are generally younger ones. Its always a gamble with that line but normally the age drops closer to Australia.

P&O UK close to Australia does get the younger ones in. If the voyage goes through the Caribbean then there are generally younger ones. Its always a gamble with that line but normally the age drops closer to Australia.

I was thinking more in terms of out of Australia which would usually be a leg of a World Cruise.

We did a short trip on the Arcadia out of Sydney and I would have been one of the youngest on board and I am in my late forties.

I realise Arcadia is kid free but I would not do that trip again as it resembled a Nursing Home on the Sea.

I think some of the answers tbh....miss the point of your entire post OP/Stass.

Celebrity cruises is not the line for you if you have just made a point that you were some of the youngest aboard. It is not a party ship in the way some of the P&O or Carnival ships are....nor is it dead. But it's entertainment in a different style.

The average age is not as 'old' as say a HAL cruise ship, but nor are the majority under 30 (essentially it attracts a 30+ crowd with some younger).

It sounds like a Royal Caribbean or even a Carnival cruise is the perfect line...I'm assuming you want a bit of nightlife and vibrancy with more of a chance of meeting many more younger people around your own age.

Ships with generally older crowds (although there can be a smattering of younger folk) are Celebrity & Princess- and much older is HAL and Cunard and Crystal (with their world or sector cruises around Australia/New Zealand/Pacific).

But if your not looking for a party cruise (read Contiki at sea like P&O) but still have a younger crowd not sure your going to be totally satisfied as generally (generalization I know) younger groups are not looking for quiet ships......

It's up to you...premium and older or cheaper but busier & younger.

We have cruised Carnival, Princess and Royal Caribbean, and my choice for you guys would be Celebrity Solstice.

We were on her in November and there were all ages onboard. It's a Fabulous ship with modern interior. We can't wait to get back on her again in 2 weeks:D

Go with Royal on a South Pacific cruise if you want classy but not stoggy, lots of activities like rock climbing wall, mini golf, ice skating/inline skating depending on the ship you choose.

They have an adults only pool solarium area with hot tubs so you can get away from any kids if you want.

Shows are generally a mix of production musicals, magician, comedians, hypnotist. Movies on all, Radiance & Rhapsody also have the outside movie screen as well as more speciality restaurants than Voyager.

Video arcade also on them all.

Carnival is generally considered to be a younger demographic & a bit glitzy in regards to decor & less easy to navigate layout.

Celebrity will attract an older crowd as it's more upmarket & costs more.

No matter what cruise line you choose you will get a mixed crowd to a certain extent.

Also if you are 24 years old what is old to you may seem young to other forum members, so you have to take that into account when reading replies.

Also some people are family oriented, so focus on what is great for kids, which may not be of interest to you either. But also family people with kids tend to be younger, but may have a different focus than you do.

I would recommend checking out the websites for each cruise line & see what they offer & what sort of experience they are promoting.

Avoid longer cruises or cruises to non tropical destinations like NZ as these will attract an older demographic in general.

Hope that is helfpul. :)

Hello all,

My husband and I are looking a cruise later this year or early 2014. We did 2 weeks on the Sea Princess in 2012, and I've previously cruised with P&O. We both loved the sea princess but found we were some of the youngest passengers (24) by some margin. While we'd be happy to cruise with Princess again I'm just wondering about other lines. What would you all reccomend for mid 25 year-olds? I've been looking at Royal Carribean which look fantastic and the rooms look heaps bigger than Princess which is a bonus for hubby. How about Celebrity/Carnival? I'm not really sure what else is out there - definitely don't want to slum it, we liked the elegance of Princess. We don't really drink or party, just want activities, nice rooms and atmosphere as well as pools/spas and movies. We're looking at either South Pacific again or NZ. I'd love to do Hawaii back to Aus if I can find a bargain deal, but we've just bought a house so don't think it will happen.

TIA

Hi there,

We have cruise with P&O, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Carnival and Royal Caribbean cabins are by far the smallest we have had.. I would say that P&O biggest, followed by Carnival, then Princess then Royal Caribbean last....Sorry, but their rooms were still great and we had an awesome time and would go again tomorrow but as for having the largest room, no.... :)

Keep your eye out for my posts after 4th March as I go on Celebrity Solstice and will certainly report back how it is. I am in your age group so have good reason to keep others informed what ships are getting young passengers groups.

All I can say is Celebrity seems to have a reputation that proceeds it and that the crowd is mixed and the style is modern/trendy/relaxing.

All I can say is that I hope it lives up to the reputation it has and what I have heard from others.

It also very much depends on what time of year you sail. Out of season on any ship will be an older crowd, longer cruises also draw an older crowd. We just got off the New Year cruise on Radiance and a large number of guests were aged between 18 -30 with some older people and the rest families. We have also cruised NZ on Rhapsody leaving mid January and there were mainly families and older people, with many kids but not as many 18 - 30's.

Both ships are beautiful, light airy and open. Radiance has mini golf and a sports court (great for teens), but Rhapsody has a bigger pool deck and more spacious atrium. We had an inside on Rhapsody and a balcony on Radiance and the size was fine in both, we had plenty of room and everything we needed. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either.

Hello all,

TIA

We have cruised with P&O, Dawn, Sun, Star and the Royal Carribean, Rhapsody of the Seas,Legend of the Seas. I feel the Rhapsody of the Seas is a beautiful ship, with the pools and spas being open until midnight, so you can go for a swim, spa at night, rooms are not hug e, recommend an oceanview, just remember longer cruises normally attract an older crowd, although we did a cruise to Singapore last year on Rhapsody and a really good mix of age groups on there, hope this helps.

I recall the pools/hot tubs on RCCL's Radiance were open 24hrs.

We love balcony cabins & think they are worth the extra, also love Radiance, a nice mid size ship & this class of ship has the most glass walls windows in public areas than any other class of ship in the Royal fleet. Really beautiful to sail on.

Will be on Voyager in 2 weeks so interesting to see how that compares.:)

Archived