Elegant/casual: Jacket with tie or no tie?

Slow Foxtrot

Seabourn is very nice and much different from Cunard. Both are worth doing.:D Just one thing I like on Seabourn (and a few others) is never signing chits for anything. Constantly signing tickets really takes away from the special holiday feel, Imho.

Barry, have you ever sailed SeaDream?? :D

Hi Jim

No--- I have noticed that they do many itineraries to Istanbul , but I think they may be a little out of our price range?? :o Might have to check them out further though when the time comes.

Barry

Hi Jim

No--- I have noticed that they do many itineraries to Istanbul , but I think they may be a little out of our price range?? :o Might have to check them out further though when the time comes.

Barry

By the time you add up the bar tab on other lines, the extra cost is not as bad as it initially looks. Excellent food, drink and service, all included.

J.

Yes -- it will be unlikely that I will cruise with Cunard again - but only because I have cruised on all 3 Cunard ships now, and life is just too short to do the same old thing over and over again. Too many cruiselines - too many ships!

I have very much enjoyed my experiences on the Cunard ships - and in regard to the dress code, I adhere to it to the letter on all ships- including NOT wearing shorts in the dining room for breakfast or lunch (which some other uncaring and selfish men do) ;)

I do like to keep an eye on the Cunard dress code threads - because I abhor pomposity and it is commonly found here. It has to be revealed at every opportunity.

Barry

Get over yourself.

.....I do like to keep an eye on the Cunard dress code threads - because I abhor pomposity and it is commonly found here. It has to be revealed at every opportunity.

Barry

Bazzaw: would 'pomposity' on Cunard include those who prefer to wear a tie with a jacket when Cunard indicate that a tie is not required?

What other acts of 'pomposity' do you commonly see on Cunard?

Get over yourself.
When we go fishing, it is more fun when we actually get a bite :)

If we all enjoyed, or liked the same thing then life would surely be quite boring? :)

Barry Humphries comes to mind with his two characters ;)

Bazzaw: would 'pomposity' on Cunard include those who prefer to wear a tie with a jacket when Cunard indicate that a tie is not required?

It may or may not be -- it all depends on the individual. There are no pompous acts -- only pompous people. :)

Barry

I've noticed the fashion faux pas of wearing shorts in the MDR for breakfast/lunch seems to be mentioned a lot. Is this just for shorts above the knee, or are all shorts (even tailored, knee length or 3/4) considered abhorrent?

Can anyone suggest what would be considered suitable daytime attire in the MDR for a reasonably young (32) man? I'm trying to organise my partners wardrobe for the trip and as first time cruisers we'd prefer not to disrespect or offend other passengers.

Toni

I've noticed the fashion faux pas of wearing shorts in the MDR for breakfast/lunch seems to be mentioned a lot. Is this just for shorts above the knee, or are all shorts (even tailored, knee length or 3/4) considered abhorrent?

Can anyone suggest what would be considered suitable daytime attire in the MDR for a reasonably young (32) man? I'm trying to organise my partners wardrobe for the trip and as first time cruisers we'd prefer not to disrespect or offend other passengers.

Toni

He doesn't really find it abhorrent, it's just material for having a dig at me. Don't ask, it's a long story. :D

If you're travelling in tropical/sub-tropical climates then you'll find quite a few men wearing shorts in the dining room at breakfast and lunch. I'm sure the shorts your boyfriend has are just fine. Football shorts would be taking it too far, but, from the shorts you've described, you'll be fine.

As you will find out when you get on board, people wear their casual everyday clothes during the day; you don't need to pack anything in particular.

The evenings are a different story, there's a dress code which explains the differences between formal, semi-formal and elegant casual.

Funny you should mention shorts as I am just in the process of ordering a few pairs. I am old fashioned and much prefer conventional shorts that are neither three quarter length nor with those large pockets. I guess it is all about taste and what we all like. I have visions of folks wearing three quarter length shorts with baseball caps with the peak over an ear or the neck, but that is me being devilish. :) and no doubt they will look the business;)

Funny you should mention shorts as I am just in the process of ordering a few pairs. I am old fashioned and much prefer conventional shorts that are neither three quarter length nor with those large pockets. I guess it is all about taste and what we all like. I have visions of folks wearing three quarter length shorts with baseball caps with the peak over an ear or the neck, but that is me being devilish. :) and no doubt they will look the business;)

Are you going to go all 'gangsta' on us glojo? :D

i-PWBQvm4-M.jpg

Don't forget to get a black pair for formal nights! :eek:

J

Archived