Elegant/casual: Jacket with tie or no tie?

Slow Foxtrot

The dress code states that a tie is not required on EC nights so (irrespective of any personal opinions about Cunard dumbing things down - which I think there is a case for, based on anecdotal observations of ever decreasing number of formal nights) anyone not wearing a tie is quite within their rights to do so.

Gosh, how perceptive is that?

Although Cunard state that 'a tie is not required' that obviously does not mean that ties are forbidden. Perhaps if they stated 'ties optional' it would leave all parties satisfied.

One wonders if when Cunard state that 'dress codes will be enforced' would they apprehend anyone for being 'too overdressed' :)

Although Cunard state that 'a tie is not required' that obviously does not mean that ties are forbidden.

Thank you Captain Obvious :)

Perhaps if they stated 'ties optional' it would leave all parties satisfied.

One wonders if when Cunard state that 'dress codes will be enforced' would they apprehend anyone for being 'too overdressed' :)

Does it even happen? I've never seen anyone dressed like the below on EC nights. I'm not convinced it's an issue.

i-tJ3B7nr-L.jpg

What frustrates me is the contributors on a Cunard forum that object to anyone that simply wants to maintain the standards that are well publicised and are part of the Cunard way of life.

The instant someone states they object to wearing the accepted dress for a specific evening, we will get posts that suggest we wear what we want and...

'stand by for the dress police to put you in your place!'

If the dress code states ties need not be worn then so be it, ties need not be worn but if ties are the order of the day then ties should be worn by all male passengers. If we don't like it then don't play the game. :);)

Gosh, how perceptive is that?

Although Cunard state that 'a tie is not required' that obviously does not mean that ties are forbidden. Perhaps if they stated 'ties optional' it would leave all parties satisfied.

Well said. I'm not going to say that everything on the QE2 was better than on the newer ships (because it wasn't) but there was none of this casual nonsense in the main dining rooms, at least on Atlantic crossings. Jacket and tie were required in the dining rooms on all nights. So when we took our first crossing on QM2, and were lucky to be upgraded to Princess Grill, I decided I would continue the tradition of wearing a tie even on the first and last night of the crossing. I was pleased to see that about a third of the men did the same on all my crossings. A stroll through the Britannia restaurant showed a large number, albeit a minority, wearing a tie. So it wasn't just a "Grills thing." I'm not suggesting that other men should do the same as me; I'm merely stating what I do and what I have seen.

A restaurant, whether on land or at sea, with elegant table settings of Waterford crystal, Wedgewood china and silver cutlery - especially the heavy Gainsborough silver in the Grills -is worthy of a tie. I have no objection to dressing casually for breakfast and lunch, although it might be fun wearing a morning coat.

Mr Bazzaw from Australia states (post 12) that 'there is nothing auspicious about eating dinner on a Cunard ship'. I'm sure there will be many who beg to differ. Granted, we are not dining with the Queen but if Mr Bazzaw thinks that the architecture and surroundings of the Britannia Restaurant in the QM2 are not auspicious then Cunard's marine architects may as well give it up as a bad job.

Mr Bazzaw from Australia states (post 12) that 'there is nothing auspicious about eating dinner on a Cunard ship'. I'm sure there will be many who beg to differ. Granted, we are not dining with the Queen but if Mr Bazzaw thinks that the architecture and surroundings of the Britannia Restaurant in the QM2 are not auspicious then Cunard's marine architects may as well give it up as a bad job.

Bazzaw is on record as stating that it's unlikely that he'll be cruising with Cunard again. :D

Although Bazzaw may not have found the experience to be 'auspicious' he has described it as "WONDERFUL" (sic).

He mostly lives over on the Australia & NZ forum where apparently (or so I'm told) he is worshipped as a god. :rolleyes:

He comes back here, every now and then, to try and cause mischief on Cunard dress-code threads.

...He comes back here, every now and then, to try and cause mischief on Cunard dress-code threads.

And, on that topic, this is for the attention of Detective Chief Superintendent Whitemarsh, Head of Cunard Fashion Police, Australian Division.

Do you think I would be ok in this for a formal night, or is it more sort of elegant casual?

I am keen to avoid arrest for going equipped to cause dress code infractions.

J

And, on that topic, this is for the attention of Detective Chief Superintendent Whitemarsh, Head of Cunard Fashion Police, Australian Division.

Do you think I would be ok in this for a formal night, or is it more sort of elegant casual?

J

Not for formal night, unless you can get it in a dark color. Elegant casual? go for it!

Partial quote

...Do you think I would be ok in this for a formal night, or is it more sort of elegant casual?...

:DCruachan, what man wouldn't look dashing in that outfit on elegant casual nights? Can you have it made in black? If so, just clip on a bow tie, don shiny black boots, add some bling, and you're set to go for formal nights! Mix and match tops and bottoms for semi-formal nights. Shouldn't take up much room in your suitcase, plus it's light weight so it's easing on packing concerns!:D

Well said. I'm not going to say that everything on the QE2 was better than on the newer ships (because it wasn't) but there was none of this casual nonsense in the main dining rooms, at least on Atlantic crossings. Jacket and tie were required in the dining rooms on all nights. So when we took our first crossing on QM2, and were lucky to be upgraded to Princess Grill, I decided I would continue the tradition of wearing a tie even on the first and last night of the crossing. I was pleased to see that about a third of the men did the same on all my crossings. A stroll through the Britannia restaurant showed a large number, albeit a minority, wearing a tie. So it wasn't just a "Grills thing." I'm not suggesting that other men should do the same as me; I'm merely stating what I do and what I have seen.

A restaurant, whether on land or at sea, with elegant table settings of Waterford crystal, Wedgewood china and silver cutlery - especially the heavy Gainsborough silver in the Grills -is worthy of a tie. I have no objection to dressing casually for breakfast and lunch, although it might be fun wearing a morning coat.

QE2 Transatlantics were (in my world) always formal at night except first and last and that was coat and tie. Just part of the drill. QE2 was not a ship for the masses of travelers. I am so glad I had the experience.:D

J

OMG..... It's amazing what some people will get around town in isn't it. :D

Whilst I appreciate the whimsicality of the outfit, let's face it - that guy looks like a freak. So no, I wouldn't wear it on a Cunard ship - on any night.

Out of all of them this guy looked the best.

Just complete a TA on QM2 to NYC ending dec 22.

One comment and feel free to flame.......Jackets required bathing optional

Maybe it because I am an ex European and now one of the colonists but why dress up to the nines but proper personal hygiene is not mandatory.....sorry but that was our experience

Just complete a TA on QM2 to NYC ending dec 22.

One comment and feel free to flame.......Jackets required-bathing optional

Maybe it because I am an ex European and now one of the colonists but why dress up to the nines but proper personal hygiene is not mandatory.....sorry but that was our experience

Are you saying that you were surrounded by people who had not had a bath/shower? :) Quite extraordinary!

What on earth is the world coming to?

Bazzaw is on record as stating that it's unlikely that he'll be cruising with Cunard again. :D

Although Bazzaw may not have found the experience to be 'auspicious' he has described it as "WONDERFUL" (sic).

He mostly lives over on the Australia & NZ forum where apparently (or so I'm told) he is worshipped as a god. :rolleyes:

He comes back here, every now and then, to try and cause mischief on Cunard dress-code threads.

Yes -- it will be unlikely that I will cruise with Cunard again - but only because I have cruised on all 3 Cunard ships now, and life is just too short to do the same old thing over and over again. Too many cruiselines - too many ships!

I have very much enjoyed my experiences on the Cunard ships - and in regard to the dress code, I adhere to it to the letter on all ships- including NOT wearing shorts in the dining room for breakfast or lunch (which some other uncaring and selfish men do) ;)

I do like to keep an eye on the Cunard dress code threads - because I abhor pomposity and it is commonly found here. It has to be revealed at every opportunity.

Barry

Partial quote

Yes -- it will be unlikely that I will cruise with Cunard again - but only because I have cruised on all 3 Cunard ships now, and life is just too short to do the same old thing over and over again. Too many cruiselines - too many ships!...

Barry

Hi Buzzaw. Congrats on sailing on the three Cunard ships. I've only sailed on QM2 (10X), but I'm looking forward to sailing on QV and QE2 someday. Unfortunately, our holiday time (vacation) is limited, so long voyages are problematic. What is your next adventure? We've sampled Princess and HAL. Thinking about Seabourn for our next cruise. Cheers, -S.

All I said was that I was surprised that somebody as pompous as you (in regard purely to matters of dress onboard Cunard ships) would live where you do. I said nothing about your suburb being "poor" - in fact, I don't believe it to be so. And I don't believe that many who live where you live are known for such pompousness. Furthermore, I would say that the people of Brisbane are not known for pomposity at all -- no, it only appears to be you.

Barry

Barry, I do believe you have wrongly confused Whitemarsh with a Macaroni.

The Fashion Police do not admit Macaronis as members. Whilst we may be guilty of decadence, we are never pompous.

macaroni A coxcomb or dandy; one with pretensions of sophistication and intellectualism. This British term originally referred to members of the Macaroni Club—an 18th-century group of well-traveled Englishmen who, in affecting Continental mannerisms, became notorious throughout the British Isles for their decadent behavior and pomposity. The phrase is now used to describe conceited, insolent fops.

Good grief - that would truly be pasta joke! Maybe if we gave Baz a penne for his thoughts he would tell us how it happened.

:D:D:D

J

Well, it's long pasta my bed time, and I'm getting the elbow, so I'll say Ciao before the water boils over. -S.

Barry, I do believe you have wrongly confused Whitemarsh with a Macaroni.

The Fashion Police do not admit Macaronis as members. Whilst we may be guilty of decadence, we are never pompous.

macaroni A coxcomb or dandy; one with pretensions of sophistication and intellectualism. This British term originally referred to members of the Macaroni Club—an 18th-century group of well-traveled Englishmen who, in affecting Continental mannerisms, became notorious throughout the British Isles for their decadent behavior and pomposity. The phrase is now used to describe conceited, insolent fops.

Louise

I must admit that I do tend to identify pomposity with pretentiousness - they seem to come in the same package.

Barry

Partial quote

Hi Buzzaw. Congrats on sailing on the three Cunard ships. I've only sailed on QM2 (10X), but I'm looking forward to sailing on QV and QE2 someday. Unfortunately, our holiday time (vacation) is limited, so long voyages are problematic. What is your next adventure? We've sampled Princess and HAL. Thinking about Seabourn for our next cruise. Cheers, -S.

Salacia

We are about to embark on a short 14 day cruise to NZ on Voyager of the Seas. We have never been on an "American" style ship - 6 of our last 7 cruises having been on P&O UK and Cunard ships. It should be interesting - I imagine it will be more like Las Vegas than Buckingham Palace :)

I am eyeing off a 26 day cruise on Holland America Noordam - Rome to Istanbul via the Adriatic ports, Venice, Greek Islands - would like to tie it into a coach tour of Southern Italy at the start and a coach tour of Turkey at the end. Unfortunately this cruise only goes twice each year - April and August (too hot in the Med for me in August) and we have sickness in the family right now, so this year is out of the question for the April cruise.

We don't realise how quickly time flies by and how little we have left until we are forced to concentrate on the matter!! :(

Barry

Salacia

We are about to embark on a short 14 day cruise to NZ on Voyager of the Seas. We have never been on an "American" style ship - 6 of our last 7 cruises having been on P&O UK and Cunard ships. It should be interesting - I imagine it will be more like Las Vegas than Buckingham Palace :)

I am eyeing off a 26 day cruise on Holland America Noordam - Rome to Istanbul via the Adriatic ports, Venice, Greek Islands - would like to tie it into a coach tour of Southern Italy at the start and a coach tour of Turkey at the end. Unfortunately this cruise only goes twice each year - April and August (too hot in the Med for me in August) and we have sickness in the family right now, so this year is out of the question for the April cruise.

We don't realise how quickly time flies by and how little we have left until we are forced to concentrate on the matter!! :(

Barry

Barry, have you ever sailed SeaDream?? :D

Partial quote

Seabourn? Well, you'll really know what pampering is all about! Do let us know the fun you have on that trip.

Archived