Live From The Rotterdam!

Classynfun1

As many of you know, I am currently on my first cruise on the Rotterdam through the Med. To jump right out there and say it, I am having the time of my life! The crew is great, my room steward, Ari, couldn't be better and the people on this ship are so much fun. I can't speak highly enough about the food, the quality of service, and the other passengers. There are people from every age range (just few kids though but many 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's and up!).

I did have a nightmare embarktion but just sat back and said, "hey, I'm on vacation" and let it roll off of my back. Everything else has made up for it 10 fold!

We are currently anchored off of Satorini, so I'm going to take a few more pictures, take a short nap, and get ready for our informal dinner. I will try and check back later today or tomorrow if anyone has any questions or wants to know something about the ship. I have a few things I have promised to check out and still have that on my to do list...

I am glad you are enjoying the Rotterdam. We sailed her through the Panama Canal last year and thought she was a wonderful ship with a spectacular crew, glad things haven't changed. Enjoy and thanks for posting!!!!!

So glad you're having fun - sounds just great! :)

(Will be interested to hear about your embarkation experience later.)

Thank you for taking the time to check in - looking forward to future posts.

Rest, rest, rest...

Glad you are having a wonderful time!

Wonder if you have seen a Bar Supervisor named Ronald Bogon on board...someone from the Maasdam told me they thought he was working on the Rotterdam.

Hope the rest of your cruise is GREAT!

rocks

Thanks for checking in. Glad you're having a great time. We were in the Med last September on the Prinsendam, and it truly is a great place to be! When you mentioned Santorini the mental picture spread through my mind of viewing Fira Town and beyond stretching across the rim of the caldera. I sure wish I were back there!

Also glad you're enjoying the Rotterdam. She remains our favorite ship overall. A real classy lady!

As many of you know, I am currently on my first cruise on the Rotterdam through the Med. To jump right out there and say it, I am having the time of my life! The crew is great, my room steward, Ari, couldn't be better and the people on this ship are so much fun. I can't speak highly enough about the food, the quality of service, and the other passengers. There are people from every age range (just few kids though but many 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's and up!).

I did have a nightmare embarktion but just sat back and said, "hey, I'm on vacation" and let it roll off of my back. Everything else has made up for it 10 fold!

We are currently anchored off of Satorini, so I'm going to take a few more pictures, take a short nap, and get ready for our informal dinner. I will try and check back later today or tomorrow if anyone has any questions or wants to know something about the ship. I have a few things I have promised to check out and still have that on my to do list...

I hope you made it over to Santorini today, it is a wonderful place to visit. In fact one of the nicest places I have ever been.

jc

Dear Classy!

We were leaving the Rotterdam as you embarked... I so wished we could have stayed on for that itinerary as well.

We too had the time of our life on the Rotterdam... I simply loved everything about it!

If you see Uzman, head waiter on Deck 5 of the dining roon, say hello to him from Marie (that's me, and I was travelling with my mom, he'll remember)!!!

Have a wonderful time for the remainder of your cruise!!

MC

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone!

I have definitely managed to spend quite a bit of time exploring all the ports we have been to. Tomorrow is Kusadasi and I have yet another full day tour in store for me.

I'm traveling solo, but did get assigned the most wonderful roommate. She is traveling with her sister and brother-in-law and they have been wonderful dinner mates! My waiter is Asep, who is the greeter on the right side of the Lido for breafast and lunch as well.

I will be on the next cruise, also, and the staff has made sure that everything for the next cruise was just how I wanted it (dining times, location, cabin, etc.) and the staff has been so attentive. The cruise director and officers all seem to make sure that I am never "alone", as well as the other passengers.

Hmm..not sure what else to report! There have been some funny moments, but I'll wait to share that when I'm not paying $.40 a minute! :p

One more note....today in Satorini there were NINE ships in the harbor. That said, HAL got us off and to Oia before anyone else made it. I got a few amazing shots in before the droves of people (and professional photographers) from Costa made the place a zoo.

Off to the crow's nest....

To classynfun1,

We will be cruising on the Rotterdam in July. We want to pack very light since we will be travelling in Europe before and after the cruise. We are thinking of eating most of our dinners in the Lido restaurant (more casual) as we will not be bringing much formal ware.

If possible and if you have the time, can you ask/check for me if the menu in the Lido’s restaurant is the same as the menu in the main dining room for dinner.

Thanks!

Dear Alert!

I have just returned from the Rotterdam cruise just before the one Classy is on, and I would not worry too much about what you will wear into the dining room. Some people do get very dressep up on most night. However, these cruises are port intensive, and a lot of people came to dinner wearing casual outfits. Other than formal night - and even at that, I saw a lot of women simply wearing a pair of black pants and a top - I would not worry much about this and I would certainly go to the dining room.

Have fun on your cruise!

My waiter is Asep, who is the greeter on the right side of the Lido for breafast and lunch as well.

Asep was our waiter on the Rotterdam in FEB of this year and did a great job. Is Fred Eversen still the captain on Rotterdam for your cruise? Hope you're having a great time!

Take care and be safe!

John

Alert Marie-Claude's answer is right on. I have been dressing up every night to different degrees, but that has been far from the norm.

Copper, the current captain is Jan Smit (I think...I have been consuming way too much alcohol lately and my memory isn't completely right on :eek: )

Sail7seas: John says to tell you Hello! :D

Alert Marie-Claude's answer is right on. I have been dressing up every night to different degrees, but that has been far from the norm.

Copper, the current captain is Jan Smit (I think...I have been consuming way too much alcohol lately and my memory isn't completely right on :eek: )

Classyfun I am so happy to read your posts. Our daughter and son-in-law are on the ship with you as I type. We heard from them early in the cruise and they were having a great time. They are traveling with another couple. Continue to enjoy! And thanks for the posts. And if you see Karen and Scott, tell them Mom and Dad say Hi!

Thanks for the response, Classynfun1. Sounds like you're having a great time so keep it up! Your memory will come back, I promise! In the mean time, next time you're in the Crow's Nest, try a Wang Wang :D

Take care and be safe!

John

Hi classynfun!

Glad to hear you are enjoying your cruise! I know you were excited about it and it sounds fantastic!

Thanks for checking in with us and letting us know all is well.

I look forward to hearing more about it when you return. :)

We just booked this cruise last minute because of the great price. We will be doing a 2 month "backpacking" type of trip throughout Europe.

Now with this cruise sandwiched in the middle of our 2 month travel, it certainly has complicated our packing situation.

We are glad to hear that people are not dressing as formal on this cruise. We may not be packing a jacket for man or fancy dress for lady as it doesn't seem to be worth it to carry it for 2 months and only use it for 3 nights. So, We are wondering if we dine in the Lido on formal night do we still have the same menu as in the main dinning room? We certainly don't want to miss the lobster tails!! :)

We just booked this cruise last minute because of the great price. We will be doing a 2 month "backpacking" type of trip throughout Europe.

Now with this cruise sandwiched in the middle of our 2 month travel, it certainly has complicated our packing situation.

We are glad to hear that people are not dressing as formal on this cruise. We may not be packing a jacket for man or fancy dress for lady as it doesn't seem to be worth it to carry it for 2 months and only use it for 3 nights. So, We are wondering if we dine in the Lido on formal night do we still have the same menu as in the main dinning room? We certainly don't want to miss the lobster tails!! :)

When we skipped formal night on the Volendam, the menu was not the same. But it was good. That was about a year ago, so that may have changed.

We may not be packing a jacket for man or fancy dress for lady as it doesn't seem to be worth it to carry it for 2 months and only use it for 3 nights.

You can rent formal wear---for women, as well as men---and have the best of both worlds. You won't have to lug it around with you, and you will keep your options open for all events on formal evenings. After all, even if you can get the meal of your choice in the Lido you may still want to go the show or to a lounge that evening.

People on Eurpean cruises generally tend to keep to the dress code better than on some other itineraries.

It is my understanding (based on last voyage on Ryndam)that if you order during the first 30 minutes the dining room is open, you can order off the dining room menu. (I ordered double lobster) They will deliver it at the time that you specify.

Have fun,

Nancy

Thank you for passing along John's message. You two must have been talking about CC??!! ;) Please pass along our greetings.

We think the world of him and would so have loved to see him on our upcoming Maasdam cruise. We've been on that ship (and others) a number of times with him.

Continue to enjoy yourself. Rotterdam is a fabulous ship IMO

We were on her last March for Panama Canal and a number of other times (including b-to-b for Christmas and Millenium New Years.)

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy......

Classynfun1,

Glad to hear you're having a good time in the Med! I am waiting to hear what you think about your tour of Rome with Stefano on Wednesday. We are booked with him for the 29th of June. Looking forward to your opinion of Romecabs!!

Continue enjoying your cruise! Linda

Archived