Independence questions - MTD and show times?

ishari

My DH and I are sailing on the Independence in a few months and I was looking into reserving set times for our "My Time Dining". I am a frequent RCL cruiser, but this is my first time using MTD [i tried for the regular main dining room but they were already booked...so hopefully we like MTD alright].

Does anyone know what times the evening shows will be on the 8 day Eastern Caribbean itinerary? And along those lines, any recommendations for a good time to set MTD dinner reservations so as not to miss one of the show times?

Is it even worth making MTD reservations for 2 people or should we just show up whenever? I really don't know what to expect...I've read more negative things about it than positive things but am trying not to go into it with negative preconceptions...

My DH and I are sailing on the Independence in a few months and I was looking into reserving set times for our "My Time Dining". I am a frequent RCL cruiser, but this is my first time using MTD [i tried for the regular main dining room but they were already booked...so hopefully we like MTD alright].

Does anyone know what times the evening shows will be on the 8 day Eastern Caribbean itinerary? And along those lines, any recommendations for a good time to set MTD dinner reservations so as not to miss one of the show times?

Is it even worth making MTD reservations for 2 people or should we just show up whenever? I really don't know what to expect...I've read more negative things about it than positive things but am trying not to go into it with negative preconceptions...

Showtimes on Indy are scheduled around traditional dining times of 6pm and 8:30pm.

If you just want to show up...that's fine. That's the whole point of "My Time" dining! So, each day you'll check the showtimes in your Compass, and decide when to eat to see whichever show suits you. No need to do this in advance...daily is just fine. You can either show up, or call and make daily reservations...up to you!

• 1 month later...
If you just want to show up...that's fine. That's the whole point of "My Time" dining! So, each day you'll check the showtimes in your Compass, and decide when to eat to see whichever show suits you.

I'm booked on IOS in May (for Norway) and have opted for MTD because I'm used to Freestyle cruising(*). But it wasn't clear from the sales pitch whether MTD really meant you could show up at the MDR at any time (when it was open!) for a meal or whether you simply had a choice of which sitting to attend? From the post above it sounds like to could show up mid way between sittings - is that true? And if so, would it make you unpopular with the serving staff?

(*) This will be our first time with RCI and first time outside the Med...

We really liked MTD. At first we made reservations, but when we got to the dining room, the lines for people with reservations were much longer than the line for those without!

We never had to wait for a table, and never had to share a table with strangers.

It was nice to be able to look at the compass and just plan dinner around the evening activities.

I'm booked on IOS in May (for Norway) and have opted for MTD because I'm used to Freestyle cruising(*). But it wasn't clear from the sales pitch whether MTD really meant you could show up at the MDR at any time (when it was open!) for a meal or whether you simply had a choice of which sitting to attend? From the post above it sounds like to could show up mid way between sittings - is that true? And if so, would it make you unpopular with the serving staff?

(*) This will be our first time with RCI and first time outside the Med...

Hi

My girlfriend and I will be on the same cruise as you (it will be our very first cruise - period!).

However, as I understand it, guests on MTD have the top tier of the MDR exclusively so the waiters working in that tier will be used to (and indeed expect) MTD guests to arrive at different times throughout the evening.

Hope this helps :)

Archived