Just off Dawn Princess and Pleasantly Surprised.

We just returned from a great 2 weeks in NZ on Dawn Princess. I have only experienced the Diamond Princess before and after all the talk about the 'aussieficaton' of ships relocated to Australia I was concerned that I would not have the same 'Princess' experience that I enjoyed previously.

However I was relieved to find that all the things that I like about the Princess brand were still there to be enjoyed.

Of course the onboard currency is $AU and the auto tips have been removed but otherwise I found only a few differences from the Diamond. I didn't bother to pack my power adaptor but I wish I had. I knew that the Dawn has Australian power points but unfortunately the ONE aussie point is behind the TV rather than on the desk so it wasn't a very convenient spot.

There are a couple of Australian beers on tap in the bars and others available in bottles. The wine list also included more Australian wines than I remembered on my previous cruises but that was about it. The menus in the diningroom were just as 'American' as the Diamond and the food offered in the buffet wasn't particularly Australian fare.

One area that certainly had not changed was the excellent service. I took a 3 night cruise on the Pacific Pearl in December and the service was dismal so I was very happy to see that the Dawn crew were as friendly and attentive as I expected from Princess.

I wasn't sure how I would find an older and smaller ship after sailing on the Diamond but the Dawn (and I assume her sisters the Sun and Sea) is a beautiful ship. The Dawn had a refurb last year and the public areas looked fantastic. Our cabin (BA on deck 12) was a little more compact than I had experienced before but adequate.

The only complaint I really have is that the lifts don't seem to cope with the number of people. They were often crowded and slow although being forced to use the stairs isn't such a bad thing on a cruise.

We enjoyed great weather everywhere until the last two days crossing the Tasman back to Melbounre. Gale force winds and a 7 metre swell made for an interesting crossing. Luckily I don't suffer from seasickness but 300 people visited the doctor and I heard there was at least one case of a broken bone. Not surprised as we did get tossed around a few times. I did wonder how a bigger ship like the Diamond would fare in such conditions.

One not pleasant surprise was that we ordered a couple of lattes at the Patisserie one morning and the coffee was awful. I know the free stuff in Horizon Court isn't great but I'd rather drink that for nothing than pay $3.50 for a coffee that is not much better.

One pleasant surprise was that our Martinis were only $12 each. I ordered one on the Pacific Pearl and got charged $18!!

So very happy with Princess. Next cruise is Celebrity so that will make for an interesting comparison.

cheers

Stu

Thanks for that info

I am going to try pick your brains while everything is still fresh - hope you don't mind :p:)

Did you do any "ship transfers" instead of shorex - and if so where- and how much was the transfer. I know ships don't advertise the transfers and you usually book it on board (that's their way of getting everyone to book shorex from them)

Would be interested if you did any - and in which ports (we are doing your trip in December this year)

Thanks for that info

I am going to try pick your brains while everything is still fresh - hope you don't mind :p:)

Did you do any "ship transfers" instead of shorex - and if so where- and how much was the transfer. I know ships don't advertise the transfers and you usually book it on board (that's their way of getting everyone to book shorex from them)

Would be interested if you did any - and in which ports (we are doing your trip in December this year)

HI Liz,

In Auckland you dock right in town so no problem there. In Tauranga you can wander about the small town and visit the beach etc. If you wish to go into the main town area I'm not sure if there was a bus or not but I would imagine it would not be free.

In Napier there is a free bus from the ship into town. As the port is busy you are not allowed to walk so the bus is the only option.

In Wellington it is an easy 20 min stroll to the centre of town but there were buses that were $15 ($30 return). At least I think that was the charge. I'm sure someone else will correct me.

In Akaroa there is a host of tour vehicles waiting at the dock. We just walked around the village. It is very picturesque.

In Dunedin we did our own tour and were picked up at the dock. There would be transfer buses but I can't help you with the cost.

Hope that info helps.

cheers

Stu

In Dunedin I just caught the local bus into town. I caught the shuttle back but you can easily catch the local bus both ways. The driver on the bus was very helpful advising where to catch the bus from on the way back. Didn't book any tours and just winged it each day.

Hi Stu

I went on the 30th of November sailing to NZ on the Dawn and found her to be as you described. I was pleasantly surprised to find some of the staff from the Sea Princess working on board (ie Larry on the piano and my previous waiter who came over to say hello). Our waiter said that he likes to work on the Dawn, Sea and Sun as they are smaller ships and he enjoys the atmosphere. I couldn't have wished for a better waiter or room steward. Everybody on our large MDR dinner table had stories of how our two waiters would look after them if they saw you in the buffet for breakfast.

After cruising on the Sea Princess the Dawn felt pretty much the same ship minus the golf net. They are both beautiful ships and I love that you can walk completely around the promenade deck.

I booked a midship cabin on the Sea Princess and I too found the lifts crowded and slow. This time I booked a cabin near the back lifts and found that you could usually grab a lift straight away. Really handy when leaving the vista lounge.

I enjoyed listening to the male singer/dancer and thought that he was one of the best that I've heard in my short cruising career.

My next cruise is in two months time on the Diamond so like you I will be comparing American Princess to Australian Princess.

Thanks for posting your review and thoughts on the Dawn Princess

Karrel

Thanks for posting your review. Dawn was the 1st Princes ship we sailed on many years ago and have booked for a 28 day trip for April. Having read previous reports we began to wonder if we had done the right thing.

Sandy in Spain

Stu can you tell me could you bring wine on the different ports

We took a bottle each in our hand luggage and had a bottle each in our suitcases on embarkation. No problems there, but they were being stringent at Melbourne about you only having one bottle each in your carry on luggage. At each port as we returned to the ship they were being very strict about bringing alcohol onboard. We didn't bother to try our luck but we saw some people arguing with the crew and it looked like their protestations were falling on deaf ears. We have cruised on the Diamond Princesss three times and have never had a problem bringing booze on at each port but maybe that has changed also.

on the Sea Princess they have an aussie power point on the desk so i thought the Dawn would be the same

Maybe it was just our cabin or those on our deck. Seemed a silly place to put one. I'm sure someone else can comment on other cabins on the Dawn.

cheers

Stu

Hello Stuartm, Will be sailing on Dawn at the end on March on the trip around Australia. Would like to know how formal the 'Formal Nights' are. My husband doesn't want to haul his black tie togs all the way from the UK if he will look out of place. Thanks in advance for any info.:)

Hello Stuartm, Will be sailing on Dawn at the end on March on the trip around Australia. Would like to know how formal the 'Formal Nights' are. My husband doesn't want to haul his black tie togs all the way from the UK if he will look out of place. Thanks in advance for any info.:)

My OH is not taking his Evening suit just a dark suit and a couple of fancy waistcoats to brighten things up,

Sandy in Spain who was hoping we would be able to take wine on board at each port.

There were quite are few tuxedos on formal nights but mainly lounge suits. Some guys just wore a jacket and no tie and there were some in just slacks and a long sleeved shirt, so pretty casual really. I just wore a suit as I could wear the suit pants with a shirt on other nights. All about how much space there is in the suitcase.

cheers

Stu

Sandy in Spain who was hoping we would be able to take wine on board at each port.

They appeared to be really strict at enforcing the 'no alcohol' policy at ports. I suggest you take a bottle in your hand luggage when you board and stick a couple in your suitcase.

2 years ago we returned to the Diamond Princess in Darwin after a day in port and my partner got carried away at the bottle shop and we returned to the ship with 8 bottles of wine!! Shoreside security ummed and ahhed but let us through in the end. I think we were pretty lucky.

cheers

Stu

Stu can you tell me could you bring wine on the different ports

on the Sea Princess they have an aussie power point on the desk so i thought the Dawn would be the same

I had an inside cabin on the Dawn and the one Australian power point was on the shelf between the fridge and the cupboard with the safe in it.

We travelled on her on Nov 17 on round trip from Sydney to NZ. The only thing I had to compare her to was the 'funship' I had been on 33 years previously. My partner only had the 'cruise' ship he emigrated to Aus from England 45 years previously. We both loved the Dawn. I had read lots of reviews before we left and was uncertain whether she would be up to 'standard'. We need not have been concerned. Our whole experience was fantastic. We had a mini suite on Deck 10 and our cabin steward Edwin, was a true gentleman. Nothing was too much trouble or him. Probably our favourite casual eatery was La Scala, the pizzeria, with the Tiramusu, some of the best. My partner celebrated his 60th birthday on board and we chose to dine in Stirling Steakhouse on that night. The meal was spectacular and he was made to feel like a celebrity. It cost $20 extra each. Very very cheap.

In most ports, the maintenance employees were painting bits and pieces of the hull. Nothing was in our way or made us to feel we were inconvenienced. In one port our balcony was painted. Edwin told us the night before it was going to be done. When we got back, he again told us that it ad happened and to be careful with the wet paint. The next day he asked us was everything to our satisfaction and hoped we weren't inconvenienced.

A couple of mornings we went downstairs to note that the carpet on the stairs near the atrium had been replaced with upgraded carpet. This was all done while 99% of the ship slept.

All in all, we had the most fabulous 13 nights.

We would go on her again but not want to do the same itinerary, so we have booked with a different cruise line this year, but for no other reason than itinerary. Our first experience with Princess was very pleasant and memorable.

I thought the ship itself was in fine shape my only real compaint was that on a long cruise (42 nights) the crowding got to be annoying. In cooler climes on a long cruise with older passengers...the buffet area was very crowded all the time and finding somewhere to sit was quite difficult. The lifts were slow also with more of the passengers not able to use the stairs.

Just my opnion but I would not do a long cruise on her again.

Sue

I thought the ship itself was in fine shape my only real compaint was that on a long cruise (42 nights) the crowding got to be annoying. In cooler climes on a long cruise with older passengers...the buffet area was very crowded all the time and finding somewhere to sit was quite difficult. The lifts were slow also with more of the passengers not able to use the stairs.

Sue

While we were on Dawn, we met some people planning on doing a world cruise or sector (they hadn't decided) on her and I did think, wow, this ship would feel quite closed in for a long period. While we were waiting to disembark in the dining room, we met 3 different couples who we hadn't laid eyes on the whole trip, so it's still big enough to not bump into people constantly.

And while the cruise director, Tim and his team did a fantastic job, they would need more material (and jokes) for a longer cruise.

Having said all that, for the 13 nights, we had a splendid time.

And while the cruise director, Tim and his team did a fantastic job, they would need more material (and jokes) for a longer cruise.

I thought he was an excellent Cruise Director. Hands down better than Ron Goodman and some of his team on the Ruby Princess.

Sue

I agree with you Sue. At the Captains cocktail party, the Captain talked about the 110 days cruise that the Dawn was undertaking this year. My partner and I just looked at each other and thought 'no way!' We love cruising but I think 110 days on any ship would be a killer. Plus the fact we would have to sell the house to cover the booze bill.

We had a balcony cabin on the Dawn that was small but adequate but we were falling all over each other in that small place. The way the cabin door, bathroom door and wardrobe doors all converge at the same place caused some moments of mirth at first but then just became a nuisance.

We had a minisuite on the Diamond for our 23 night cruise to China and I think that is the way to do it but the Dawn minis are so much more expensive so that isn't an option.

cheers

Stu

Archived