Advice re Paris to Versailles

karen sharpe

We would like to take the train to Versailles for a half day. Does anyone have some advice re tickets, tour groups, transportaton to Versailles and any wonderful spots in Versailles for lunch.

I am wondering if there might be a tour package combining the trip to Versailles plus the tickets.

Thank You.

We would like to take the train to Versailles for a half day. Does anyone have some advice re tickets, tour groups, transportaton to Versailles and any wonderful spots in Versailles for lunch.

I am wondering if there might be a tour package combining the trip to Versailles plus the tickets.

Thank You.

I Googled this for you as this is the most up to date info..You can do on your own by train as well,but I think a tour is the way to go as you will get in faster,tickets,etc. and there are many tours to choose from.

tours to versailles from paris - Google Search

It is really easy to do on your own, if you are so inclined. You should allow a full day though, especially if you are planning to eat lunch. Rick Steves gives great, easy DIY directions and we just did it in late December.

The trains leave from Paris regularly and the ones headed to Versailles end there, so there's no way to make a mistake. Once you get out of the station, it's about a 10-minute walk to the gates of the palace.

Lines are long whatever you do, but if you have a museum pass, you can just get right into the entrance/security line (saves you waiting in the separate ticket line).

I can't answer as to food from personal experience, but I understand Gordon Ramsay has a restaurant at Versailles that you might look up, if you're looking for "wonderful".

Karen,

We did this in October on a land trip. We spent the entire day there including the gardens which were beautiful. We didn't have the museum pass but were able to get tickets from the concierge at our hotel. We ate lunch outdoors in one of the restaurants in the garden. I had looked at private drivers and tours for this but I am glad we just did it on our own and saved the money.

I hope you have a great trip.

It is really easy to do on your own, if you are so inclined. You should allow a full day though, especially if you are planning to eat lunch. Rick Steves gives great, easy DIY directions and we just did it in late December.

The trains leave from Paris regularly and the ones headed to Versailles end there, so there's no way to make a mistake. Once you get out of the station, it's about a 10-minute walk to the gates of the palace.

Lines are long whatever you do, but if you have a museum pass, you can just get right into the entrance/security line (saves you waiting in the separate ticket line).

I can't answer as to food from personal experience, but I understand Gordon Ramsay has a restaurant at Versailles that you might look up, if you're looking for "wonderful".

I'll second the great advice, as usual, from cruisemom42., especially her suggestion to use Rick Steve's book as a guide for getting to the site and managing your visit. In particular, if you don't have a museum pass, he identifies a ticket office close to the train station, an office which is rarely busy and saves valuable time.

We ate at one of his recommended restaurants and it was quite acceptable, although surely not up to Gordon Ramsay's standards nor his prices.

And now a caveat. The last time I was there we chose to ride the little train that offers access to some of the lower parts of the grounds. It was so rough, and thus unenjoyable, we actually could only laugh at the terrible experience it offered that actually detracted from appreciating the gardens. Perhaps others will be more positive about this "feature".

On the whole, I would not hesitate to encourage anyone to visit Versailles on their own.

This past October we also took the train from St Michel Station (a block from our hotel) to Versailles - very easy trip thanks to Rick Steves - he gives you the correst train,walking directions, etc!!

I can't ramember the cost but we simply bought round-trip tickets at St. Michel - as with all Paris metros, make sure you keep the stubs - you may need them to exit and/or have them checked during the trip.

It was an easy trip but as mentioned - even in October it can be crowded - get there early!!!! We also took the mini train - ride was bumpy especially at the beginning on the gravel but we didn't find it too annoying. We got off by the Grand Canal to enjoy the view and also had lunch there - crepe and wine - not too expensive as I remember.

We enjoyed the gardens and outside more than the house since they weren't so crowded - even at 9am the house was packed with people taking photos!!!!

There are also lots and lots of tours from Paris - for everything possible including a picnic lunch but the Grand Canal! Personally we found the train trip visit was perfect and we had no time schedule to follow but our own!

It is very easy to take the train from Paris to Versailles.

We arrived in Versailles at opening time with ticket vouchers in hand (booked online). We spent the entire day at Versailles. Amazing place!

Took the train (RER line C). Bought a round trip ticket (Aller Rétour).

Once at the RER station, you want the Versailles-Rive Gauche train. As previous posts have mentioned, this train ends in Versailles.

You can purchase your Chateau Tickets online at:

http://en.chateauversailles.fr/prepare-my-visit-/single/tickets-and-rates#

Google directions from train station to Chateau:

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=versailles-rive+gauche&daddr=chateau+versailles,+versailles,+france&sll=48.80203,2.126563&sspn=0.008607,0.019355&ie=UTF8&z=17

jill

Fotopeg

Thanks for the alternate assessment of the mini-train that takes visitors to the Trianon.

Perhaps my view is coloured by hours riding on the back of a farm wagon (dray) :). But indeed that wagon, at least in my memory, provided a more comfortable ride.

However, I may be in the minority as obviously it's a service that people utilize.

Can't speak to lunch in Versailles. I followed Rick Steves plan and took the train (I think it left around 8 am), and went to the IBIS Hotel for their buffet breakfast. It's inexpensive and decent. It's across the street from the train station. If you get a decent breakfast and leave Versailles around 12:30, it might make sense to get lunch back in Paris.

Karen ~ sounds crazy but I just found our tickets for the train ride to Versailles - 3.25Euro pp each way - so its 13 Euros for 2 for the round trip. As has benementioned the train station is a short walk from to the entrance - also short walk from front through parking lot. It's up to eveyone what they opt to do but I enjoy having as much info as possible to help in deciding! Lunch cost was 28Euro for 2 crepes + a bottle of wine. And the restaurant - La Flotilla - by the Grand Canal was outside (with heat lamps) and not too crowded at noon. Turned out to be a lovely little respit!

nordski ~ a few years ago we wouldn't have thought about taking the mini-train but now DH has a foot problem so we're much more conscious about saving steps! The mini-train worked fine for us and allowed us to see more of the area. It wasn't the most comfortable but great in this case!

Thank you all for the invaluable info. I am thinking we will buy the Paris Museum Pass ahead of time ,catch the early morning train to Versailles, get the shuttle train to the palace and have lunch at Flotille, crepes and wine sounds wonderful. I am still undecided re signing on to a private palace tour.

Does anyone have a name of a company or person who might just do the palace and gardens?

Thank you all for the invaluable info. I am thinking we will buy the Paris Museum Pass ahead of time ,catch the early morning train to Versailles, get the shuttle train to the palace and have lunch at Flotille, crepes and wine sounds wonderful. I am still undecided re signing on to a private palace tour.

Does anyone have a name of a company or person who might just do the palace and gardens?

What time of year will you be going and what day of the week? We had a disappointing trip to Versailles because we went on a school day and it was FILLED with groups of kids on field trips and they were rather pushy and took away from the experience :( I actually almost cried I was so disappointed. And yes, get the PMP!!!!

I am going to give you the link to my 2 entries with pics on our time at Versailles and it might help you out a little:

part 1:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36004702&postcount=267

part2:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36004723&postcount=268

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Karen, with respect to the palace, the hand held audio devices are great. They are free of charge as well. I don't know how much more value a guide would provide.

Oh, I saw your post on my OP 3.5 days in Paris thread and I think it will help. Have fun.

Archived