Super Bowl Party/Cuisine at Sea?

harryw

I will be on the Riviera on Super Bowl Sunday, a sea day.

Does Oceania usually have a viewing party?

Is traditional football viewing fare served?

Is there a pool?

I'm curious about the chef's spin on this tradition...upscale nachos?

Harry

I don't know about "usually".

We were on board when the Giants won (not last year, the time before, I forget which cruise that was). There wasn't a viewing party but the ship DID tape the broadcast (sans commercials) for viewing in our cabins.

Not sure what they will do this year, of course!

Mura

A few years ago we did have a super bowl party at night on the pool deck ..to be honest I cannot tell you what was served, there were snack like items some hot & cold

It was late evening (10 pm)so did not check it out

We were docked in Guatemala so we stayed at the dock until the game was over where fans could watch the game at a nearby bar

Another cruise they could only get the sound portion no visual of the game

Lyn

We have been on board Oceania ships twice at Super Bowl time. Last year off the coast of China on Nautica, they had a live feed and tailgating food at 6 am in the lounge. There was a pool (pick a square for $10). Could watch the game on TV in the cabin, too.

Have also been in the Caribbean on a Super Bowl Sunday. It was on Regatta and a similar setup, only at a more reasonable hour!

Would think they are already planning for this year on all the ships.

In looking at the various posts we have concluded that on our cruise (I believe in 2008) they weren't really prepared for the interest, although they did come up with a tape a day later. And perhaps we were out of range of the satellite transmission at the time -- we were on an Auckland-Sydney cruise if I'm right about the date.

It does sound like later cruises were more alerted to the fact that passengers are interested in seeing the game. So it seems reasonable to me that O really will coordinate efforts this year.

Mura

Marina was christened in Miami, after her maiden transAtlantic from Barcelona, the day before the 2011 Superbowl. A 3 day "friends and family" christening cruise, primarily for travel writers and travel agents, was sailed to the Bahamas and back.

In order to watch the Superbowl live, she sailed out about 3/4 of the way to the Bahams, then looped back towards Miami, and continued sailing in that loop until the game was over.

That time, the game was broadcast on the large screen TV on the pool deck and on a projection screen in Horizons Lounge, which is where most people gathered. They had fried chicken, wings and other tailgate fare served at the Waves grill, which they scheduled because they expected most people to gather on the pool deck. They didn't think to lay on any food servers in Horizons.

So, folks started going down to Waves, loading up plates with chicken and hot dogs and chips and such, and carrying it back up to Horizons themselves. FDR was in Horizons with his grandkids, and went down to Waves himself to bring back a load of food.

It was a real family picnic sort of mood, everyone having a great time and no one even thought to complain that they carried their own food. Maybe the best Superbowl ever!

Thanks LHT28. We leave Feb. 4, so guess we will be here. Wish we were on O during the game. From Hondorner's description, sounds like they know how to do it. :p (Now, I am going to have my own Super Bowl tailgate.)

Enjoy

I wish I was down that way

My brother & SIL put on some good parties for Super Bowl & Mardi Gras

Love my brother's smoked pulled pork ;)

maybe next year :D

Lyn

We share your hopes that there will be provisions for the game onboard.

Our group (3 couples) is also on Riviera Feb 2.

The International crew may be more aware of the other football (soccer). Perhaps OC needs a reminder of this American football event?

football_vs_soccer0.jpg

I will be on the Riviera on Super Bowl Sunday, a sea day.

Does Oceania usually have a viewing party?

Is traditional football viewing fare served?

Is there a pool?

I'm curious about the chef's spin on this tradition...upscale nachos?

Harry

I think they will broadcast it. We were on the Regatta Panama cruise 4 years ago when President Obama was inaugurated and they broadcast that. I can't remember exactly where we were at the time. We will be on Riviera with you. We(Peter and I) are 49er fans and his brother(Frank and Maureen) are Patriot fans. So far we are both have teams in the running. Sandy

Apparently Regent is not going to broadcast it, so I doubt Oceania will either. Word is that the cost to obtain rights to broadcast live was ridiculously high, almost the equivalent of sending the passengers to the game itself.

Not trying to get into a political-sports thing, but who put out the word that it was too expensive to show the Superbowl? (I'm not a football fan so I have no agenda here.)

Maybe it is! It wasn't some years ago when we were on board at the time. But I'm just wondering what the authority is for saying that it's too expensive.

Certainly it's been done in the past.

So I wait for more authoritative confirmation, not that I'll be on board this year either!

Mura

:eek: Am I the only one who finds this comparison distasteful ?

No, you are not.

Plus, the inauguration will be carried by the majority of news channels, and is already part of Oceania's programming. It does not cost extra, nor does it require that a major room be set aside for viewing, shouting, etc.

If someone is an extreme devotee of the Super Bowl, so much so that demands for its broadcast are being made, then wouldn't that person know that the SuperBowl is always broadcast approximately the same time each year?

Cruise before or after the game if it is that vital to see it "live".

I am much happier to have Oceania concentrate on using funds to provide delicious food in beautiful surroundings on great ships, serviced by wonderful crews, rather than spend what may be a large amount of money for a sporting event that is, for the most part, just for Americans.

Lighten up, people! It's a game! I'll be on Riviera and, yes, I'd like to see the Super Bowl (especially if it turns out to be BAL-SF) but I'll survive without any lasting damage if I don't.

It would be nice, however (not "critical," but "nice"), to know ahead of time so I could tell SWMBO that I (and the other guys traveling in our group) have a planned gathering Sunday evening which she is welcome to join or not.

OBTW, I'll be home this weekend and probably won't watch the inaugural - "political football," distasteful comparison, or not.

Not trying to get into a political-sports thing, but who put out the word that it was too expensive to show the Superbowl? (I'm not a football fan so I have no agenda here.)

Maybe it is! It wasn't some years ago when we were on board at the time. But I'm just wondering what the authority is for saying that it's too expensive.

Certainly it's been done in the past.

So I wait for more authoritative confirmation, not that I'll be on board this year either!

Mura

Mura,

We will be onboard and we concur with your comment. We have seen a lot of NFL and NCAA football on cruises in the past as well as the semifinals of the World Cup in 2010. These trips were on other cruise lines but the onboard TV service and fees are no different for Oceania. Now, sattelite reception could be a factor.

Jim and Stan,

We don't view the comparison as distasteful at all. Both are big events that draw a very large audience and we think that there will be plenty of cruisers who will be interested in seeing each if onboard a ship at that time.

I don't really follow the NFL, but I suspect it's broadcast is owned. Somebody buys the rights to broadcast it. I don't even know who is broadcasting it this year. ABC, FOX, ESPN ???

However, can anyone around the world pick up the satellite feed??? I'm sure many countries are broadcasting it as well, but I suspect they are paying for that. Would'nt Oceania have to pick up the satellite feed from somewhere/someone? Who? and would it be free? What "live" channels do they show on the ships?

Archived