Trying to Decide which Ekol Tour

Ekol advertises a number of tours of varying length. I need to study better to determine differences but which tour do previous users of Ekol recommend?

Do you have enough time on the shorter tours(4hrs) to see the main places of interest or do you need the full 6hr tour to do everything justice?

In November, a group of 8 of us took their tour in Ephesus. We went to Mary's home, Ephesus, the Terrace Houses (not to be missed) and the Temple of Artemis. Was about 4 hours. cost was $48 per person. Van held about 15, so we could spread out.

Ekol advertises a number of tours of varying length. I need to study better to determine differences but which tour do previous users of Ekol recommend?

Do you have enough time on the shorter tours(4hrs) to see the main places of interest or do you need the full 6hr tour to do everything justice?

It depends on where you are and what you want. I have used EKOL three times with a fourth scheduled in May. I will be happy to give you my thoughts if you give me some more info.

Sorry, I was in that state of mind when I assumed everyone knew what I was doing and wanted.

We arrive at Kusadai on Sat May 4 at 7:00am, departing 6:00pm on the H-A Eurodam.

We want to see the main attractions of the area like Ephesus, Terraced Houses and Virgin Mary's House and I am sure there are more.

I hope this provides a better background for our request.

We used EKOL last summer and will have already booked them again for this June (when we return with our 4 kids). We have booked tour #4, which is what we did last summer as well. We will tour The House of the Virgin Mary (which we liked much more than we were expecting), Ancient Ephesus, including the Terrace Houses, and St. John Basilica. Our tour info says it includes a complimentary lunch (though not so sure about this - we didn't do this last time). It says the approximate time for the tour is 5 1/2 - 6 hours. Our cost was $59 a person.

Michelle

We used EKOL last summer and will have already booked them again for this June (when we return with our 4 kids). We have booked tour #4, which is what we did last summer as well. We will tour The House of the Virgin Mary (which we liked much more than we were expecting), Ancient Ephesus, including the Terrace Houses, and St. John Basilica. Our tour info says it includes a complimentary lunch (though not so sure about this - we didn't do this last time). It says the approximate time for the tour is 5 1/2 - 6 hours. Our cost was $59 a person.

Michelle

The complimentary lunch involves a stop at a rug store. If you don't want to make the stop, you forego the lunch.

I've enjoyed doing a half-day tour to Ephesus + one or two of the other nearby sites, then returning to Kusadasi to eat. Lots of good restaurants there with views on the lovely water rather than at a rug factory. But then some people seem to enjoy the stop.

Cruisemom - thanks for the heads up. We did not stop at a rug store last summer and have no plans to stop again this year. I also agree that there are great places to eat near the port. We'd like to take our kids (17, 19, 21 and 23) to a very local place that our guide pointed out to us last year. It was delicious. I think I'll email EKOL and tell them specifically that we'd like to skip the rug store (which now that I think of it, we did last year.)

Thanks! Michelle

We have also used Ekol a few times........

we enjoyed Sirince a lot too.... small village up in the mountains. It is getting a bit touristy but if you head back (or up) the tiny streets away from the main area you will be amazed at the feeling of stepping back in time ........

We like to shop here too. Some neat stuff you can't find in the bazaar in Kusadasi.

Just a suggestion.

Also - we did the rug factory and lunch our first visit. We really enjoyed seeing how the silk was taken from the cocoon, made into thread, dyed and woven into rugs. The lunch was really good too. Of course, they did try to sell us a rug but the funny thing is......we enjoyed that experience too. Was fun to watch them throw out the rugs...one after another. You do not have to buy. We didn't (altho dh almost did !)

That night (we were in port all day until 11 pm) we ate ashore at Kings Restaurant right on the harbor road. It is right under the tower with the clock in it. Great food and very nice owner (he served us himself) He kept bringing out all kinds of wonderful tasty things ...... and we talked briefly too.

The next visit we skipped it and ate at a wonderful restaurant on the bluff over looking the harbor. Don't know the name but they brought out a platter overflowing with tons of yummy food ! Ekol should know this place.....looked kind of like a diner car and had a great view of the harbor.

Hope this helps - have a great trip !

• 7 months later...

Archived