Packing - Rolling Clothes vs Folding

Saphire

I fold - using tissue paper. I find the drycleaning bags a bit too slippery to hold the clothes in place. they go in an Eagle Pack envelope and that keeps them from moving around:) I would love to roll but I have never figured out how to do it:eek:

:D I am a roller and Tom is a folder and guess who has the least amount of wrinkles ;) For some items I do use the Dry Cleaner bags, have never bothered with tissue paper. Tom will often send a lot of his clothes out to the cleaners so they are pressed a bit better than I do:o before we leave

I do that at home instead of ironing and it works almost all the time; especially on cotton clothes.

I do, too, Carol. It does work.

I packed many of my clothes today and used the packing cubes from ebags my daughters gave us last Christmas. AWESOME. Dress clothes in one. Casual capris in another. Casual tops in yet a 3rd. ALL rolled.

Best thing is I can bring those downstairs individually, and then bring down the suitcase. At our age, it's difficult to haul the suitcase from the 2nd floor to the 1st...especially in our antique home with a narrow staircase!

:D I am a roller and Tom is a folder and guess who has the least amount of wrinkles ;) For some items I do use the Dry Cleaner bags, have never bothered with tissue paper. Tom will often send a lot of his clothes out to the cleaners so they are pressed a bit better than I do:o before we leave

Hmmm...I still think the rollers have it!

I always fold and then put them in ziploc bags to keep the air out. I guess I don't roll properly, because I always seem to squeeze more into folding them. Am I doing something wrong with rolling them? It doesn't seem like you can get as much air out by rolling.

I always fold and then put them in ziploc bags to keep the air out. I guess I don't roll properly, because I always seem to squeeze more into folding them. Am I doing something wrong with rolling them? It doesn't seem like you can get as much air out by rolling.

OH I hope someone answers this - I would love to learn how to roll properly - or where to go to find out (youtube is too quick) - what to roll and what not to roll. for now, I continue to fold:D

I fold my clothes like the stores do. I usually pack two tops per shorts or pants. I then place the two tops on top of the pants and roll them all together. The first thing we do is unpack and hang up the clothes. Never had a problem with wrinkling.

All you ever needed and wanted to know about packing: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1024268-packing-tips-masterthread-includes-how-pack-suit.html

It all depends on the bag and garments. I do the bundle for cruises, it works best.

I use the bundle method all the time, especially since I travel carry-on only no matter the length of the trip. I find that I can get more in the small suitcase this way.

I am going to try the plastic bag/tissue paper trick next time though.

Cheers.

Deb

I'm a traditionalist -- I fold. No tissue paper, no hangers, no dry cleaner bags. I get very few wrinkles because I try to pack the suitcase full enough so things don't move but not so full that they are smushed. Good suitcases have straps, and I use them -- they help. Rolling seems to cause more wrinkles when I've tried it. Maybe I just don't do it right. :o

I haven't yet graduated to being a carry-on only traveler, but my objective is usually to travel with the smallest and lightest suitcase possible given the length and aims of the trip (land trips being different from cruises and both are entirely different from a business trip). Also because almost any trip I take involves flying, and I generally have to handle my own luggage.

I don't like to put anything extraneous in the bag (hence no hangers, packing folders, cubes, etc.). I've tried packing with cubes and folders once, and I couldn't fit as much in. What I like about folding (versus bundling) is the ability to pull out a single item as needed on trips where you may not unpack your entire suitcase every night or every couple of days (e.g., a land trip to several places).

I do suspect, though, that whatever packing method you are practiced at will work better than a new method that you're less familiar with. My dad taught me the folding method when I was about 16 (going on my first trip to Europe) so by now it is second nature.

I've had good results with the method shown here:

This is how we do it too, with 1 modification. More stuff will fit if you alternate 2 pairs of pants with a layer of tops/shirts. So, do like the video and lay 2 pants in, then do 2 shirts/tops, then 2 pants, etc. Works great. roll T shirts, shorts, PJs, etc and lay them on the bottom of the bag, then put the folded packed stuff on top. Put hair dryer, other loose things in cracks between rolled stuff. Put shoes along the outside, especially at the bottom of the bag (sideways, sole pointing at bottom of bag when it stands up). then put small loose items inside shoes (socks, undies, corkscrew (!), clothes brush, etc. Ziplocs or similar for shampoo and other wet stuff, 1 plastic grocery bag to hold laundry goes in first on bottom of bag. i can pack for 3 weeks in a small to medium size bag this way. Works great, few wrinkles, especially for the dressiest stuff.

We have a friend who uses compression plastic bags--packs his stuff flat, sits or leans on the compression bag (with a valve that lets air out, and packs a dense block in a small roll-on bag--all he lets his wife take is 1 bag and a backpack!!

Can do a lot with some creative packing and limiting clothes to some extent!

ML

This is how we do it too, with 1 modification. More stuff will fit if you alternate 2 pairs of pants with a layer of tops/shirts. So, do like the video and lay 2 pants in, then do 2 shirts/tops, then 2 pants, etc. Works great. roll T shirts, shorts, PJs, etc and lay them on the bottom of the bag, then put the folded packed stuff on top. Put hair dryer, other loose things in cracks between rolled stuff. Put shoes along the outside, especially at the bottom of the bag (sideways, sole pointing at bottom of bag when it stands up). then put small loose items inside shoes (socks, undies, corkscrew (!), clothes brush, etc. Ziplocs or similar for shampoo and other wet stuff, 1 plastic grocery bag to hold laundry goes in first on bottom of bag. i can pack for 3 weeks in a small to medium size bag this way. Works great, few wrinkles, especially for the dressiest stuff.

We have a friend who uses compression plastic bags--packs his stuff flat, sits or leans on the compression bag (with a valve that lets air out, and packs a dense block in a small roll-on bag--all he lets his wife take is 1 bag and a backpack!!

Can do a lot with some creative packing and limiting clothes to some extent!

ML

Love your ideas of packing. Will definitely try this the next time I pack. :)

Archived