Amex Cruise Privileges - anyone used for RCI?

This has just been added as a benefit for Canadian Amex Platinum but Amex travel told me I must book with them to get it.

Can't speak for Canadian AmX Platinum but in the US you can book on your own or through a travel agent of your choosing and get the privileges. The one and only advantage to booking through AmX Travel in the US is that you receive double Rewards points for the booking through AmX rather than one point per dollar if you book elsewhere.

Actually it's not a stunt but the result of the fact that most cruise lines no longer allowing "double-dipping" with respect to promos. The AmX Platinum Cruise Privileges program is a 50/50 partnership between AmX and the participating lines, with both AmX and whichever participating cruise line you happen to be sailing each absorbing one half the dollar amount cost of the perks offered. Because RCI (in your case) is absorbing half the cost of the privileges, it considers it an RCI promo and will not allow it to be combined with any other RCI promo, except sometimes as in your case, they will allow the two category upgrade. In other words, if you are already getting an RCI sponsored promo like a C&A discount, OBC, upgrade or you booked at a special rate, you can't combine that with the AmX privileges. Also, it is the cruise line and not AmX that has the ultimate say whether or not the privileges are applicable for any given itinerary, ship, sailing, accommodation.

I am not combining any other priviledge on these cruises.

Host Dan

We are a family of 5 and we be on the Jewel in March. I booked 2 rooms thru Amex platinum travel and paid with my platinum card. On one room we got a $100 OBC and the other was a upgrade (E1 to E3). Due to the fact that we have 2 rooms we are supposed to receive 2 bottles of Champagne and 2 dinners for 2 in a specialty restaurant. This is all on my amex confirmation. Should I confirm with royal before I go?? Will I get vouchers for the dinners and Champagne? I normally book thru Royal, so I've never used this amex perk.

Are you perhaps booked at a group or other special rate which may preclude you from taking advantage of AmX privileges?

No group, a traditional booking....

Host Dan

Sent from my SGH-T759 using Tapatalk 2

No group, a traditional booking....

Host Dan

Sent from my SGH-T759 using Tapatalk 2

I'm out of possibilities; perhaps it is a stunt after all! Seriously, it's been our experience that confusion and lack of consistency is sometimes an issue with respect to getting the privileges. If it were me, I'd ask the TA if the issue (whatever it may be) rests with AmX or with RCCL. If with AmX, I'd call to see what they have to say; if with RCCL, I'd call and ask for the department that handles the AmX Platinum Cruise Privileges program. At the very least, you should be given the courtesy of knowing why you're being denied. Good luck! Please keep us posted.

We are a family of 5 and we be on the Jewel in March. I booked 2 rooms thru Amex platinum travel and paid with my platinum card. On one room we got a $100 OBC and the other was a upgrade (E1 to E3). Due to the fact that we have 2 rooms we are supposed to receive 2 bottles of Champagne and 2 dinners for 2 in a specialty restaurant. This is all on my amex confirmation. Should I confirm with royal before I go?? Will I get vouchers for the dinners and Champagne? I normally book thru Royal, so I've never used this amex perk.

You should receive a voucher (that serves as a confirmation) for your specialty restaurant. This is not needed (because AMEX sends a list of all passengers that receive a free night in a specialty restaurant), but it is nice to have just in case. If you haven't received it, send the TA @ AMEX an email asking for it.

The OBC should show up on day two (or three) of the cruise.

I always book via AMEX... makes the Platinum Card pay for itself!! :cool:

I'm out of possibilities; perhaps it is a stunt after all! Seriously, it's been our experience that confusion and lack of consistency is sometimes an issue with respect to getting the privileges. If it were me, I'd ask the TA if the issue (whatever it may be) rests with AmX or with RCCL. If with AmX, I'd call to see what they have to say; if with RCCL, I'd call and ask for the department that handles the AmX Platinum Cruise Privileges program. At the very least, you should be given the courtesy of knowing why you're being denied. Good luck! Please keep us posted.

Still no definative answer from RCCL. I'll give it one more day, and if no results, will contact Amex Platinum, and question why I pay $450 per year to have the card, and be denied benefits. Hopefully RCCL will come through.

Host Dan

I dont know. I suggest going to the Amex Australia site and doing a search for "cruise privlidges" and reading the fine print carefully. And/Or call amex. But when you call you are often playing "rep-roulette" and you cant be sure of any info you get. It is better if you can find it on their site yourself and check the fine print.

• 3 weeks later...

This is probably a different AmEx privilege, but when I booked a Baltic Cruise on 2/21/13 my TA, who is affiliated with AmEx, was able to provide my wife and me free pre-paid gratuities and dinner for 2 in a specialty restaurant complements of AmEx - only requirement was to pay with any AmEx card.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is the result of my research on this question. (It is a pity there is no wiki on CC, it would be the perfect way to put this info in a accessible way and avoid so many FAQs).

1. You do not need to book through Amex. Cruise Privlidges is available for any platinum card hold, independent of how they book. The TA needs to call to Amex, get a tracking number, and call RCI and provide it. On RCI this needs to be done prior to final payment date. On other cruise lines it may be difference.

You can see the exact terms, conditions and benefits according to cruise line here: http://www.americanexpress.com/asdbookinginstructions.

The TA can call 800-297-5627, not enter any card number and when they come to the menu press 7 and at the next menu press 2. They also may be able to do this online.

Then they need to call the RCI amex dept and give them the tracking number to apply to your booking. I believe the number is 877-202-1520.

2. You do not need to pay with an Amex Plat. But you need to be an Amex Plat cardholder and have paid with any Amex card in your name.

You can see the full terms and conditions at this site: https://www258.americanexpress.com/ctn/authreg/axtraweb/BookingInstructions.do?app=mapsasd. Click on SPP2012-2013 Terms and Conditions at the top of the list.

The Terms and Conditions state “Payment must be made with an American Express Card in U.S. Platinum Card member or Centurion member’s name. Card member must travel on itinerary booked.” So the payment does not need to be made with the platinum card, but any amex owned by a platinum cardmember.

You can also see the same text here on the consumer website: https://travel.americanexpress.com/travel/cpp. Click on the * at the end of “Card members can receive Cruise Privileges benefits on virtually all sailings of five nights or more, with many world-class cruise lines.* “.

3. For Oceanview RCI give a 2 category upgrade within a category. If that is not available they give fixed $100 OBC. If you do not want the upgrade (you dont want to change cabins) then you lose the OBC. Only if you have connecting cabins with small children in the connecting cabin do they let you take the OBC instead of the upgrade.

In addition you get the dinner and wine/champagne.

For people who book through an Amex TA, there is another promotion with benefits called the "Desination Family Promotion" (free lunch at johnny rockets, free soda for 2 kids) which somebody else mentioned. Here is the info: http://www.prweb.com/releases/RoyalCaribbean/cruisesale/prweb10291059.htm

Hope that helps.

Ron

Thank you for a really useful and informative post. Now I need to check whether it also applies to UK Amex Platinum card-holders.

The cruise privileges program that is the topic of this thread requires a platinum Amex, and yes there is an annual fee for that card. I think it's in the neighborhood of $400/year. Some may balk at that, but it is well worth it for us.... We are getting $300 in OBC on an upcoming Celebrity cruise, plus a bottle of champagne and a certificate for dinner in a specialty restaurant. That alone equals the annual fee for the card. We have another Celebrity cruise this summer and a 3 nighter on Monarch so we will get additional benefits there. We also get free access to Delta's Sky Clubs (including free cocktails etc.), and Delta reimburses us up to $200/year for incidental charges (ticket change fees, baggage fees, that kind of thing.) There are a host of other benefits, but those are some of the most obvious cash-in-hand ones that come to mind.

We also like the Platinum perk that allows you to use the First class lounges at the airport. We fly Delta often and this really is a wonderful perk. Many airport lounges give you food and beverage gratis. In addition to the other perks mentioned, we get an annual airline credit that can be used for luggage charges on an airline you designate.

Platinum travel from Amex is also a good bonus. We have a lot of flexibility and typically book our cruise on line or onboard the ship, then transfer to the AMEX Platinum agent. Depending upon the cruise line, you can stack promotions.

For us, it is worth the fee. For others who do not travel often, perhaps not.

Can you get AE Platinum benefits from RC on cruises if you book directly with RC or does it have to be via a TA or AE Travel?

you can get if you book thru TA, or AE Travel as well. your agent just get tracking code from American Express. there is a website to do it which your agent should know.

Holy Cow! I am SO glad I read this thread. I just got off the phone with AmEx travel to ask about transferring over. We have two staterooms booked with an adult and one child in each, so ended up with a $300 OBC, specialty dinner for two, and one bottle of champagne/wine for one room, and a $50 OBC, specialty dinner for two, and one bottle of champagne/wine for the other! Plus, they signed us up for the family package for the Johnny Rocket dinners - times two since we have two rooms, and both kids get the unlimited soda package.

That said - the AmEx rep was very patient and helpful as he listened to me contest what he believed that payment HAD to be made with the Platinum card itself. We pulled up the terms/conditions posted up-thread and read them together several times, but he was unsure how that would work given the need for the tracking number. He believed that the amenities would be reversed if RCCL saw that final payment was made with "any" AmEx in the Platinum card's name. So - he called another division that manages those contracts, and that guy initially said it had to be paid off with the Platinum card, but he went on hold to clarify. In the end, they said the interpretation of being a Platinum card member - but being able to use any AmEx in that same name to pay - was correct and they were glad to have their belief corrected. These terms and conditions were just amended this year, so don't be surprised if you call and get conflicting answers, or if your TA gets conflicting answers. Very impressed with the customer service - many people would have dismissed what I was saying and wouldn't have pursued further answers so willingly.

So THANK YOU so much, Ron! Between the Platinum benefit and the AmEx family package, this just resulted in well over $550 of benefit!

Holy Cow! I am SO glad I read this thread. I just got off the phone with AmEx travel to ask about transferring over. We have two staterooms booked with an adult and one child in each, so ended up with a $300 OBC, specialty dinner for two, and one bottle of champagne/wine for one room, and a $50 OBC, specialty dinner for two, and one bottle of champagne/wine for the other! Plus, they signed us up for the family package for the Johnny Rocket dinners - times two since we have two rooms, and both kids get the unlimited soda package.

That said - the AmEx rep was very patient and helpful as he listened to me contest what he believed that payment HAD to be made with the Platinum card itself. We pulled up the terms/conditions posted up-thread and read them together several times, but he was unsure how that would work given the need for the tracking number. He believed that the amenities would be reversed if RCCL saw that final payment was made with "any" AmEx in the Platinum card's name. So - he called another division that manages those contracts, and that guy initially said it had to be paid off with the Platinum card, but he went on hold to clarify. In the end, they said the interpretation of being a Platinum card member - but being able to use any AmEx in that same name to pay - was correct and they were glad to have their belief corrected. These terms and conditions were just amended this year, so don't be surprised if you call and get conflicting answers, or if your TA gets conflicting answers. Very impressed with the customer service - many people would have dismissed what I was saying and wouldn't have pursued further answers so willingly.

So THANK YOU so much, Ron! Between the Platinum benefit and the AmEx family package, this just resulted in well over $550 of benefit!

That's awesome!! I find my AMEX Platinum pays for itself year in and year out!!

Thank you for a really useful and informative post. Now I need to check whether it also applies to UK Amex Platinum card-holders.

I can tell you first hand, no it doesn't apply to uk. There are programmes in place here with other cruise lines but not RC. I got OBC on a couple of bookings made directly through the Amex travel service but that ended in 2011 I think.

If you get a different answer from Amex UK please come back and post :)

That's awesome!! I find my AMEX Platinum pays for itself year in and year out!!

We agree- Do not forget to designate an airline so you can get additional credit that can be used for luggage or food a beverage onboard charges annually. Think it is about $200- or $250.

Archived