Early Seating/Too Early For Return?

wbclucy

This may be a silly question, but I can't remember if I've ever had this situation before. BF and I are sailing on the Freedom of the Seas at the end of the month. We booked early dining time because we like eating dinner with the same people, but don't want to miss the shows in the evening. However, our ship does not leave St. Thomas until 7 PM and our planned outing makes it most likely impossible to return to the ship in time for our scheduled dining. Would it still be possible for us to get a sit down dinner in a DR (as opposed to WJ or specialty dinner)? How would we go about that? (I still plan on tipping our waiters for the night we miss and would tip wherever we go, so please no flaming about that..)

Thanks!

You could book My Time Dining and eat each day early (at the same set time if you wish) and for that one particular night, eat at a later time. You would not have the same table mates unless you arranged to meet the same people at the same time each night.

I guess you could try keeping your early seating and ask if it was possible to do My Time that one night. I don't know if that is something permissible but your head waiter could advise you.

Maybe switch to late dining. Aren't there two shows a night? One for early and late dining.

I prefer late seating, so that we don't have to race back to the ship to get ready for an early dinner. Makes port days even shorter.

They will not allow you to do MTD one night, nor juggle your MDR assignment for one night. The WJ food is good in the evening, we normally chose that or speciality, so we can take our meals WHEN we want. We find MTD prefers you to make reservations as well.

I recently read on these boards, that people have gotten their MDR meal to go and take it back to the room. That was a new one on me.

Both early and late dining are timed so that you can see all the shows. Most of the shows will be scheduled for 7PM prior to late dinner or after dinner for those who have the early dining. Actually the Freedom late dining is a little earlier than most ships and is at 8PM.

Enjoy

M

You need to be back onboard before 630pm

Talk to the head waiter your first nite . We had similar situation on the Radiance last year.

We were going to be late and he sort of insisted that we show up even if we were going to be late

Dinner seldom, if ever, interferes with either shows or ports! Everyone needs to be "ready" about the same time. If you have late seating and want to see the show, your show starts right about the same time as early seating.

And, you will almost always be back on the ship before the last minute!!!!

And, you will almost always be back on the ship before the last minute!!!!

We will certainly be back in time -- I don't want to get left anywhere! But the all-aboard is at 6:30 and early dining is super early for FOS - 5:30, which is right about when we plan to be walking back on the ship. Hoping we can switch to late dining, otherwise I suppose we'll just be at dinner looking a little disheveled and exhausted. Least it's not a formal night haha

And I realized none of the shows were in the way of either of our dinners right after I posted. I've only ran into that trouble on the Monarch for some reason

You would be perfectly fine walking into the MDR a bit late on a port day. Plenty of people (including myself) have done it and it's no big deal. On the Liberty last month I walked in 20 minutes or so late due to an excursion I took arriving back to the pier pretty late, which caused a delay in getting to dinner, but no worries.

You would be perfectly fine walking into the MDR a bit late on a port day. Plenty of people (including myself) have done it and it's no big deal. On the Liberty last month I walked in 20 minutes or so late due to an excursion I took arriving back to the pier pretty late, which caused a delay in getting to dinner, but no worries.
No problems for you, maybe. Not no problems for your wait staff (whether they admitted it to you or not).

If you are 20 minutes to half hour late , you should have no problem . On a recent Explorer cruise we had early dining, and one guest was late by half hour almost every night, no problem, but on one nighte the gurst was about an hour late. Arrived while dessert was being served. The waiter said dessert could be ordered but no main course. I thought that was fair.

We will certainly be back in time -- I don't want to get left anywhere! But the all-aboard is at 6:30 and early dining is super early for FOS - 5:30, which is right about when we plan to be walking back on the ship. Hoping we can switch to late dining, otherwise I suppose we'll just be at dinner looking a little disheveled and exhausted. Least it's not a formal night haha

And I realized none of the shows were in the way of either of our dinners right after I posted. I've only ran into that trouble on the Monarch for some reason

Same thing happened to me. Got on the ship, quickly got changed, and showed up 20 minutes late. No problem. Some people will say you should never do that, but how your waiter reacts, is a perfect example of what is meant going above and beyond for good tips.......

Same thing happened to me. Got on the ship, quickly got changed, and showed up 20 minutes late. No problem. Some people will say you should never do that, but how your waiter reacts, is a perfect example of what is meant going above and beyond for good tips.......

Maybe the waiter won't say anything - after all, he is relying on your tips. However, it is incredibly rude to be that late - not only to the others at your table, but to everyone else your waiter has to serve since it throws his whole schedule off. Particularly bad if you have early seating as they need to clear the dining room to prepare for the next seating. If you are going to be 15 minutes or more late, eat elsewhere.

You don't necessarily have to switch your traditional dining time for the whole cruise if you'd rather have early dining most evenings - and I would personally never show up more than 5 or 10 minutes late for dinner as it can definitely throw off the schedule for the waiter/asst. waiter.

A few years back, while seated at late dining and just after ordering, the Head Waiter approached our table with a couple and explained that they had early dining, but had missed it and still wanted to have their dinner in the MDR. We were at a table for six, but it had only been occupied by us and another couple, so they were seated with us for the evening.

We've always had late traditional dining and don't really remember ever seeing every table full (although it is my understanding that early seatings are usually full). This would probably work for you. I would just approach the podium at the entrance to the dining room when they first open for the second seating and explain the situation - I'll bet there will be seating available for you. . . .and enjoy your cruise!

Can I just jump in and ask a question? We are set to eat early mdr. We asked for a table of four(just our family). If our family shows up for dinner 15 min late I thought at least we wouldn't be holding anyone else up but you mean that the waiter will be held up anyway? Yikes if that is true !

Can I just jump in and ask a question? We are set to eat early mdr. We asked for a table of four(just our family). If our family shows up for dinner 15 min late I thought at least we wouldn't be holding anyone else up but you mean that the waiter will be held up anyway? Yikes if that is true !

Given (especially at early seating) that there is an infinite amount of time for the servers to take the orders, deliver breads, drinks, appetizers/soups/salads, main courses and desserts while allowing time for you and your family to relax and enjoy your meal and each other, it is my personal opinion (definitely not shared by all) that showing up late is just poor manners.

There was a time, not so many years ago where the doors to the dining rooms were closed at precisely 15 minutes after the scheduled dining time and no one else was allowed to enter. I don't believe you would be turned away, but your wait staff does have to re-set your table and make sure the area is clean before they take a 30 second well deserved deep breath and then do it all over again for the late seating.

Maybe the waiter won't say anything - after all, he is relying on your tips. However, it is incredibly rude to be that late - not only to the others at your table, but to everyone else your waiter has to serve since it throws his whole schedule off. Particularly bad if you have early seating as they need to clear the dining room to prepare for the next seating. If you are going to be 15 minutes or more late, eat elsewhere.

I wonder what you mean by being rude? You assumed first that others were at the table? You assumed that the waiter minded serving his guest? YOu are assuming that we took longer to finish? But yet, the timing of this meal was such that actually made many people "late". So you assume that the waiter did not expect some slightly late diners each time they did this port? Possilbly did it occur to you that the waiter is working 5 - 6 hours, whether you are slightly late or not? So, I'm now curious, who was I rude to? The waiter is already working his shift, and didn't do any extra work, just kind of worked like a waiter in MTD would work. Is being a little late as rude as staying and talking at the table to the very last minute? I don't understand all the differences here. Waiters job is to serve the guest and be patient and happy. We were gone in plenty of time to turn the table over. No extra work was expanded on us. We were happy, thus, the likelihood of a bigger tip became possible.

Archived