GET your flu jab before you cruise

Just hearing about the latest flu H3N1 predicted to hit Australia this winter season. Apparently it is hitting the northern hemisphere USA badly.

"Inluenza is widespread, and causing local crises. On Wednesday, Boston's Mayor declares a public health emergency as cases flooded hospital emergency rooms." say the New York Times

Will be available here from your GP mid March!

Who should go and have a flu shot!

• People who are at high risk of developing serious complications like pneumonia if they get sick with the flu. This includes:
    • People who have certain medical conditions including asthma, diabetes, and chronic lung disease.
    • Pregnant women.
    • People 65 years and older

[*]People who live with or care for others who are high risk of developing serious complications. This includes:

• household contacts and caregivers of people with certain medical conditions including asthma, diabetes, and chronic lung disease.

Saw that, and my immediate thought was to get in for one as soon as they are released. At least this flu should be over by the time we get to the states in April. Did you also read about the severe stomach virus hitting the UK and Europe atm. Lots to look forward to this coming winter!

Before considering the jab, look at the reasons why not to get the jab.

Drug companies are giving incentives to Drs to push these. There is side affects to these immunisations.

This is my opinion, so please don't blast me. All I say is be informed before you go ahead. Drs aren't always right.

I have seen recently one child die of cancer, and know of another 2 getting treatment for cancer. One child has only a 40% chance of survival. This child was wrongly diagnosed by the gp initially and in a short space of time the cancer has spread rapidly through the body. One has to question what the affects of all the immunisations are as so many children are sick.

I will begin with "Don't flame me" Just an observation.

Wouldn't it be better if the cruise ship required a vax certificate indicating passenger has had flu jab.

Caught flu from passengers boarding in China last year - very very ill. Unfortunately the vax was not available in January before we left.

Wouldn't it be better if the cruise ship required a vax certificate indicating passenger has had flu jab.

Caught flu from passengers boarding in China last year - very very ill. Unfortunately the vax was not available in January before we left.

I would not cruise again if that was a requirement. I am sorry you caught the flu but how on earth can you determine that you caught it from passengers boarding in China. You cannot isolate the origin that easily. It could just as easily been caught on a shore excursion.

I have never had the flu, ever, and have never had the shot either. My husband has had it, and was ill for almost two weeks, and even lying in the bed next to him, I didnt get it. I look at what is happening in the USA and while people and children have sadly died, the rate of deaths is consistent with previous years.

One thing the media does these days is continually provoke a state of terror from death, from anything! And the drug companies do have a lot to gain from a flu campaign.

A nursing home is always at risk from every contagious disease - including rota and influenza. As are any people in a state of poor health. But that isn't the normal population. If this flu was harming young healthy people in their prime years, then that is a problem for the population (eg after WWI). But then the oldies wouldn't be catching it.

The gastro bug is already in Australia, in the middle of summer. Well, it is in South Australia. Several nursing homes have been isolated here. The kids are still on holidays, otherwise it would have been school closures too, and much more spread.

we always have the flu shot in march-april but we always seem to get a cold from the ships air cond so your theory wouldnt work

But you can get it on the plane, on the bus, on a train. Not flaming you but certainly would have serious reservations about having to have such a jab. I only have those that are absolutely needed ie yellow fever etc on the advise of my GP

Have never had a flu shot and don't intend to start now whether or not because I am going on a cruise. My husband has never had a flu shot until his workplace offered a free shot last year...who got sick last year with the flu? Him of course...new & different strain to what the shot was for apparently.

Have never had a flu shot and don't intend to start now whether or not because I am going on a cruise. .

I'm the same too. They offer it free at my work as well. But I don't see the point in getting the shot. I've had one sick day off work since 2009.

Seems I've caused some contention in the ranks......not my intention at all.

I'm really glad that some of you feel that you don't need a flu jab, so I guess my post was not intended for you but WAS intended for those of us who have suffered from the flu, have chronic conditions and HAVE caught the flu while onboard ship.

While on our cruise to Japan in 2011 the ship was so heavily contaminated with flu over 2000 flu jabs were flown into Korea from Australia. Everyone was asked by Princess to roll up and have their jab passengers and crew alike.

I say go get your flu jab ASAP and don't wait until it's too late and your travel

B&B :D

I'm the same too. They offer it free at my work as well. But I don't see the point in getting the shot. I've had one sick day off work since 2009.

We must be too healthy Sarah....I started my role at my current workplace almost 7 years ago and the only 1 day I have had off ( apart from annual leave of course) was to care for my 18 year old son the day after he had an operation. I don't believe in taking sickies for the sake of it and should any legit health issues arrive I have plenty of sick leave to fall back on

While on our cruise to Japan in 2011 the ship was so heavily contaminated with flu over 2000 flu jabs were flown into Korea from Australia. Everyone was asked by Princess to roll up and have their jab passengers and crew alike.

...if you were one of the unlucky ones to contract the flu, having an injection would be too late. You need at least 2 weeks for the antibodies to take affect after the vaccine. I wonder what would have been the consequences if you declined...stating you already had had the shot.

Also makes me think back to when I was leaving London and I was informed I needed a smallpox injection due to an outbreak in England to enter Hong Kong. I am sure the vaccine would have had no effect in the 10 hours to Hong Kong after the injection at Heathrow on my departure, especially as it takes at least 4 days to become even slightly effective. However, I had the piece of paper signed by a doctor saying I had received the vaccine so they let me in.

So...

How healthy is a cruise ship?

How many of you come back home with a cold or flu type symptoms.?

Do you think it is the ship, or that you are out of your " comfort/secure zone and suddenly surrounded by thousands of coughing and sneezing passengers in a confined area?

Still nothing here to convince me to get one. And the flu shot doesn't cover for every influenza virus and nor does it cover you if the virus mutates. So it is a quite specific shot.

I think the public health authorities want people immunised so there is less risk of mutation. When the virus mutates there is little time to develop a new vaccine. They need I think, around 80% of the population immunised.

So while there is a public health reason to participate, on an individual level, unless you feel the need to (my husband does get one btw) then I won't be getting one.

If there was an outbreak on the ship, then there is no point in getting the shot right then, as already mentioned. I dont believe in mass vaccinations anyway (eg through schools) but always go to a Doctor to have one done where I can see the needle unwrapped in front of me.

I was on the Sea Princess last February and there was a flu outbreak, I'd never had the flu before (and hope to never have it again) and caught. Spent the last day quarintined in my room plus a $470 trip to the medical officer for tests and a dose of tammiflu - not a fun experience. I would probably consider getting the flu injection before we cruise next.

On another note flu injections and immunisations is a very different thing, very concerned about an earlier comment which generalised. I wouldn't let my kids play with any child that does not have their proper immunisation, there is insufficient "evidence" to point to problems as a result of innoculations.

I wouldn't let my kids play with any child that does not have their proper immunisation, there is insufficient "evidence" to point to problems as a result of innoculations.

Goodness, do you ask the parents about this? I consider that to be private information; children may not be immunised for a variety of reasons (eg, allergy to eggs; my niece is allergic to formic acid, which is used for one of the usual immunisations, - also in ant bites) so I'm assuming you screen their playmates first? I find that, just, bizarre?

Worked fine for me and for my kids...[/font][/size][/color]

Yep, I remember that too. The thing is, as a child, I never had mumps (but my brother did); measles, or even chicken pox. I didn't get it until I was 32, and had two children. And yes, they caught it from me.

I guess I could still get mumps and measles.

Yep, I remember that too. The thing is, as a child, I never had mumps (but my brother did); measles, or even chicken pox. I didn't get it until I was 32, and had two children. And yes, they caught it from me.

I guess I could still get mumps and measles.

I had measles and chickenpox, but not the mumps even though my best friend had it and I clearly remember going to her place to play on the off chance that I would come down with it...though maybe the immunisations are working as you don't often hear of mumps now. Slap cheek and whooping cough seem to have made a comeback by the discussions I have heard between new Mum's lately.

Ahhhh...remember the days when you sent the kids to play with the neighbours who had chickenpox to ensure that your children got them when they were younger rather than suffer with them at an older age. Worked fine for me and for my kids...

No cotton wool wrapped kids when we were young. We used to play outside and climb trees. Brother fell out of the tree one day and broke his arm. Oh well said Dad..he wont do that again ....and he never has:D

I can remember getting all sorts of jabs and needles at school.

One thing that did surprise me was when we cruised up to Asia and India. Checked with the doc as to what was needed and amongst the usual he included a polio shot.

I thought it had been controlled but evidently , because some have not taken the vaccine , it is making a comeback overseas.

pushka

We had been on the ship for 23 days, didn't get off in Beijing as had been there before. Heaps of new passengers joined the cruise coughing and spluttering, something we hadn't experienced on the first leg. Came down with the flu a couple of days later.

We know many chose not to consult the doctor due to cost and continued to spread the virus around the ship. I will be seeing my GP in March for this year's flu shot as I don't want another cruise marred by illness if I can help it. Thankfully the two ports that were missed had been on the first leg.

Japanese immigration had screening equipment at Nagasaki for influenza infections last year.

I will say no more.

I say go get your flu jab ASAP and don't wait until it's too late and your travel

B&B :D

What happened if people refused to get a flu shot?

I think a lot of problem with the spreading of illness is the air-conditioning, our family caught a bug on a Qantas flight to Adelaide. Friends flew the morning of the day we flew and they caught a bug of their Qantas flight. I ended up with pneumonia. I have since learnt that the airlines don't clean their air-conditioning as frequently now since smoking is banned on flights.

Archived