Visa points nightmare!

Waiting for a call back from royal rewards.:( I redeemed points the other day and it's just a mess! I'm so confused! When I was on the phone with them redeeming it seemed so painless. The rep was wonderful and patient and while the process took almost an hour the outcome was great....or so I thought. Now after another hour on the phone (most of it wait time :rolleyes: ) I still have no idea if they applied the points correctly.

Cruise fare minus tx/fees was 1898. I redeemed 150K for 1500 off and 45K for 450 off. I told the rep what about the $2? Is that going to cause a problem. She said oh no they'l prob just apply it to OBC. Really? $2? ok whatever. I went onto my cruises to look at excursions and noticed a negative balance on my cruise for $450 :eek: I knew immediately something was not applied right so I called. Apparently (and I am no math wiz)

$1898 -$1500 - $450 = -$52 so that's no good. Then they tried $1898-$1500 -$300 = $98 which I think will be the out of pocket plus the tx/fees and after that I still end up with $150 obc. I think their computer blew up after that. :cool: I just need to see it on paper in order to wrap my head around it. I just hope they apply the other points I used for OBC correctly. I didn't even want to go there tonight!

I am new to the Visa point thing. So bare with me. Could you not have used 125k for the free cruise for two? I know that this is only for oceanview and I have no idea what cruise you are sailing i what kind of cabin. But it has a value of up to $2,500. So I feel like this has a good potential of saving more than $1,500.

But like I said I am knew and still trying to learn my way around it all.

Ok, that explains some but please bare with me some more. Is there not a level at 125K for a free 5 or 7 night cruise for two up to $2500. Of course this me assuming you are doing a caribbean cruise.

7. 125,000 Royal Points (choice of one)

• Free Companion Fare on a 7 night Caribbean sailing (minimum available balcony stateroom excluding suites).

Value of free companion fare may not exceed twelve hundred fifty dollars ($1,250 USD value).

• Free Companion Fare on a 7 night Alaska sailing (minimum available oceanview, boardwalk view or central park

view stateroom). Value of free companion fare may not exceed twelve hundred fifty dollars ($1,250 USD value).

• Free Companion Fare on a 9 to 12 night Caribbean sailing (minimum available oceanview, boardwalk view or central park

view stateroom). Value of free companion fare may not exceed eighteen hundred dollars ($1,800 USD value).

• 5-7 night Caribbean or Mexican Riviera sailing for two (minimum available oceanview, boardwalk view or central

park view stateroom). Value of cruise vacation fare for 2 may not exceed twenty-five hundred dollars

($2,500 USD value).

How much lead time should a person give, when redeeming the pts online? Please let us know how it works out. Hopefully it will be soon and you can relax.

I'd redeem the points at least 2 weeks in advance.

Interested in why you called when this is very easy to use

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/RoyalRewardsOnline

Didn't you get a confirm email after turning the points in?

I just redeemed 25,000 points for OBC sailing February 1st. The online site is easy to use but not very fulfilling. The whole process ends with a thud. I got this confirmation email, but nothing else to show for my online time. Left wondering, did this work?, did I submit in time?, how can I verify the OBC will be applied to the correct cruise?

Why can't RCCL email an invoice like you get when you book on-board? You can see your OBC and C&A discount, plus the cabin costs. I would like to carry that invoice on-board instead of this confirmation email with no confirmation #.

Is RCCL listening?

I just redeemed 25,000 points for OBC sailing February 1st. The online site is easy to use but not very fulfilling. The whole process ends with a thud. I got this confirmation email, but nothing else to show for my online time. Left wondering, did this work?, did I submit in time?, how can I verify the OBC will be applied to the correct cruise?

Why can't RCCL email an invoice like you get when you book on-board? You can see your OBC and C&A discount, plus the cabin costs. I would like to carry that invoice on-board instead of this confirmation email with no confirmation #.

Is RCCL listening?

I agree with you, using the redemption website does not inspire confidence. However, in this case, I think it's B of A programming, not Royal.

Well, if you got the email then that's all you need. You do not need anything else. Hope you put your ship/dates/ and booking # in the comments section. By the second day it will be there on you interactive cabin tv or ask at GS.

This is the way the program has been set up and it must work for most all who use the web based site or else it would get changed.

My suggestion would be to request another Confirmation Invoice from RCI about 2 weeks prior to departure. If the points have been added properly to the booking they will be coded under "Booking Charges". I would than take this invoice with me just in case it doesn't show up on your Account.:)

Is RCCL listening?

I also redeemed 25,000 points a week ago for a OBC of $250.00. Found the website easy to use and recieved my email. However it leaves me woundering if the $250.00 OBC will be on my sea pass account for my cruise February 17, 2013. I was told I can RC two weeks prior to cruise to confirm so I guess I will.

Michelle

My suggestion would be to request another Confirmation Invoice from RCI about 2 weeks prior to departure. If the points have been added properly to the booking they will be coded under "Booking Charges". I would than take this invoice with me just in case it doesn't show up on your Account.:)

I think that's a great idea, but it means I have to do something. Just bein' lazy, I'll probably just let the system work.

Well, if you got the email then that's all you need. You do not need anything else. Hope you put your ship/dates/ and booking # in the comments section. By the second day it will be there on you interactive cabin tv or ask at GS.

This is the way the program has been set up and it must work for most all who use the web based site or else it would get changed.

You are 100% correct. If it was causing major problems there would be changes. It wasn't that long ago the only way to use your points was to call? So I view the internet redemption as an incremental change and I'm suggesting another incremental improvement.

Thanks to knowledgeable posters like you, after the fact, I know it would be best to put your confirmation # in the comments section. Wouldn't you agree they should ask for it?

We all know RCCL is a cost-conscious company. I would hope Royal is working towards an instant confirmation invoice (feedback) and eliminate the manual operations in the process. My two cents...

On Bob's post showing what options are for redeeming 125,000 points, can you book these for the cabin specified, then pay the difference to upgrade to a suite?

You can that, or book the suite first, and redeem the points much later. Either way works. Sometimes it works out best to wait a while to redeem points, because if the ship is selling well, the price of an OV will increase, which will increase your credit. Sometimes the opposite happens, so there's no best way.

Edited by clarea

You can that, or book the suite first, and redeem the points much later. Either way works. Sometimes it works out best to wait a while to redeem points, because if the ship is selling well, the price of an OV will increase, which will increase your credit. Sometimes the opposite happens, so there's no best way.

But isn't the price of the OV based upon the day you book the cruise? I always redeem my 125k points when I can book a cruise where the Ov is $1,249 or more to get the best value for my points. If my cruise is much lower than that I don't use the points.

I have used the 125,000 point level 6 times over the past 5 years. It has always been based on the price of an OV the day I booked the cruise. Three time the price of the OV had dropped by the time I applied my points. I still received the amount based on the day I booked, which was higher. We have always booked balcony, JS or suite and the points are based on the price of the OV the day we booked.

Do you have different information on this subject?

Is RCCL listening?

I redeemed 35,000 points for OBC and Grand Romance Pkg for a Feb cruise early this month. I couldn't remember the website asking for the reservation number and i didnt think I entered it in the comments section, so i called. The Rewards agent could see the request had been made, she entered my reservation # in, then gave me the transaction ID# to write on my confirmation email. She then called me back the next day to let me know they were in the queue and just had not been applied yet.

I feel much better having the transaction ID #, but I will probably call again before my cruise to confirm they have been applied.

But isn't the price of the OV based upon the day you book the cruise? I always redeem my 125k points when I can book a cruise where the Ov is $1,249 or more to get the best value for my points. If my cruise is much lower than that I don't use the points.

I have used the 125,000 point level 6 times over the past 5 years. It has always been based on the price of an OV the day I booked the cruise. Three time the price of the OV had dropped by the time I applied my points. I still received the amount based on the day I booked, which was higher. We have always booked balcony, JS or suite and the points are based on the price of the OV the day we booked.

Do you have different information on this subject?

Maybe they have changed their policy, but they have always explained it to me as the credit being the price of the OV at point redemption time. In fact, they encouraged me to call and get a quote for the credit put in my record so I would know what the credit would be before I committed to the redemption.

If the OP just wanted money off the cruise, (putting the 125k point question aside), I'm a little confused on why 15k more points were cashed then necessary and I wonder if that is causing the confusion. 150k +30K to leave a small balance. The other 15k points could have been applied separately as $150 OBC.

And IA, the system is better, but still flawed. I cashed 15k points on an Inside/OV upgrade over a month ago. Nada. Also cashed 20k for OBC on our March cruise. Did we get it? No idea, wish we could see it online. But having to call for a followup is not a good solution.

Maybe they have changed their policy, but they have always explained it to me as the credit being the price of the OV at point redemption time. In fact, they encouraged me to call and get a quote for the credit put in my record so I would know what the credit would be before I committed to the redemption.

That's the why I understand it as well. Just asked a question on a new thread. Would you redeem first and then call or call first? I am getting ready to book a free 4 days cruise for 2 and want today's rate in there. the cruise is not until next year so if they wait a month to apply it my value could be less. We are staying in a balcony Thanks Bob!!!

That's the why I understand it as well. Just asked a question on a new thread. Would you redeem first and then call or call first? I am getting ready to book a free 4 days cruise for 2 and want today's rate in there. the cruise is not until next year so if they wait a month to apply it my value could be less. We are staying in a balcony Thanks Bob!!!

I'd call just to see if the process has changed, and see what they recommend. I've found that the redemption people are very helpful. However, they might niot be able to put an actual quote in your record until a cruise has been booked. So it might be a multi-stop process, call for info, book, call for quote, redeem.

Please post back what you learn.

Edited by clarea