Hotel

laginog

I can't seem to find this specific info. Do any of the Jersey City hotels have a shuttle from the airport? We have some mobility issues & are trying to find the cheapest & easiest transportation from the airport to a Jersey City hotel....and then from the hotel to Cape Liberty. We had looked at staying by the airport but it looks like transportation to the pier is pretty expensive. There will be 3 of us. Thanks for any suggestions!

I'm not aware of any Jersey City hotels that offer a shuttle from EWR. Perhaps someone else knows of one that does.

The price of transportation from Jersey City to Cape Liberty is likely to cost about as much as it does from a Newark/Elizabeth area hotel, so you're not going to save any money on that end...and you're going to pay more to get to the hotels from the airport because of the absence of complimentary airport shuttle.

Personally, if I had mobility issues I would be more concerned about making the trip as easy as possible rather than trying to save $5 or $10 on taxi fare.

Please provide us more details. You are three people. What date are you looking at? Are you sightseeing in New York? What time does your flight arrive? What is your budget? What kind of mobility issue is involved? Do you require a handicapped hotel room? Can the affected person get on and off a shuttle?

The Ramada in Jersey City has an airport shuttle. However if you aren't going into NYC, I'd rather have you look at the Hampton Inn on Staten Island which has both an airport shuttle and a cruise port shuttle included in the price of the room.

no..but if you truly need accessible transportation, contact

http://www.twinlimo.com/

they ONLY do accessible transportation, in a really nice van (looks more like a "limo" inside than a plain old van..)

I used them a couple times, and they're wonderful - they are based in North Jersey

BTW, transportation up here is a bit pricey...

We are arriving into EWR at around 11 am on Sept 6 to cruise on Sept 8. We are planning to go into NY on Saturday to do some sightseeing. I wear leg braces fir a neuromuscular disease & my Mom & husband both have leg issues. We all can walk & would do fine getting into shuttle. Handicapped room is a big help for me but....not something I can't live without. Thanks for the help.

What's your budget? What are your sightseeing objectives in New York? I'm sure you know New York is all about walking. New Yorkers walk and walk and walk. You need a plan that is realistic for the physical limitations of all three of you. Have you looked into a bus tour that would pick you up at a Newark Airport hotel?

Mybowlingvacation.com has the Newark Penn Station Hilton for $152 for Sep 6-8. This hotel offers an airport shuttle and is in downtown Newark across the street from Newark Penn Station where you can take NJ Transit to New York Penn Station in midtown for $5/pp or Path to World Trade Center in downtown for $2.50/pp. if you wanted to do your own thing instead of going on an organized tour, you can do a big loop- Newark to downtown, subway or bus or even cab uptown, train back to Newark. This hotel is the only area hotel that has both an airport shuttle AND super convenient public transit options.

Okay - two queen beds. On to plan C or is it plan D?

I saw on another thread that you are looking at the Hampton Inn in Harrison. I also have a real problem with the location, particularly given your group's mobility issues. You need to be in a safe area with resources available to you. You need to be in an active busy area when you come back at night from New York.

My next suggestion would be to book the Hampton Inn at Newark Airport which offers two queen beds. The Courtyard Newark also offers queen beds. There would be a hotel shuttle from the airport. However, in order to pick up any of the "free" hotel shuttles, you are going to have to get your luggage upstairs to the Airtrain monorail and ride to the P4 stop which is where all the shuttles pick up. Is this something your group can do?

The train to New York Penn Station from Newark Airport Station is $12.50/pp each way. I suggest with three people that you "splurge" and take a cab to Newark Penn Station for about $25 and then take the train to New York for $5/pp or Path to downtown New York for $2.50/pp. Are any folks in your group seniors?

Thanks 138east!! I usually love planning but....this trip is stressing me out. I think being totally unfamiliar with the area makes me feel overwhelmed. We will have 1 senior in our group!! And.....it will be difficult to get all of our luggage upstairs. So...I guess all hotel shuttles are upstairs at the airport? $25 would be no problem....once we figure out where we're going!! You guys are being sooooo helpful! Sorry for being so difficult!!!

Thanks again for all of the help!!!!

I made a number of trips through Newark Airport with my elderly mother with mobility issues, so I'm concerned when you say that all three of you have mobility issues.

If I recall correctly, the Newark baggage claim is on the lowest level and the Airtrain is on the highest level. You can get luggage carts and take an elevator up to Airtrain, but you have to carry your luggage onto the train and ride to P4 where you would find your hotel shuttle. Mom and I once took a cab from the airport back to our park/sleep hotel to retrieve our car because I could not deal with getting her and all the luggage on Airtrain to P4 for the free shuttle. It just wasn't worth it.

Newark is a highly industrialized urban area and you MUST be selective about where you stay. The airport area is fine and the Newark Penn Station Hilton is fine, but for your group I would not venture beyond those choices.

I would also seriously look at taking a New York tour with a company that will pick you up at your hotel and bring you back. If you've never been to New York before, you can't imagine how crowded and congested and confusing it can be. Add on the walking and stairs to get in and out of just the transportation hubs like New York Penn Station or World Trade Center Path Statio and you have a long tiring day.

Mom said she would love to stay at the Hilton Penn Station. We would have to get two rooms there because of the bed situation. If we could find a good deal, we might be able to do that. Trying to weigh everything....including safety, transportation costs & mobility issues, makes this tough. Thanks for the help....and if you know of a good discount site to get Hilton Penn, please let me know. Thanks!

Any opinion on Courtyard Jersey city? It looks fairly close to the port & to the PATH train. The airport courtyard is a definite possibility.

I think the hotel would be OK, but I'm basing that on the neighborhood, general knowledge of Courtyards and some reviews on Yelp. I haven't actually been to the hotel. Hopefully someone else will chime in with their experience.

Please note that it is near the PATH station for lines that goes toward midtown Manhattan, not the line that goes to the World Trade Center (I know you wanted to visit Ground Zero). To get to the WTC line you would have to take the PATH back (away from Manhattan one stop to Grove St. and then change to the line that goes to the WTC. In addition, and perhaps more importantly, because of damage from Hurricane Sandy there is service on the PATH line that goes to WTC only Mon.-Fri. 5am to 10pm. There is no PATH service on the WTC line on weekends. Of course that could easily change by the time you're here, more than six months from now.

Thanks nj! We're still weighing the options. We have plenty of time but....like to get things nailed down early. Good to know that info about the trains! Hoping its all back up by the time we come. Thanks again!!!

Good point about the weekend Path service - I haven't been on top of that one. That really sucks. I commuted to WTC over a 10+ year period from Jersey City, via Hoboken, and via Newark - the only major interruption we had was an extended Path strike.

Anyway I really like the idea of the Jersey City Courtyard where you can get a single room with two queen sized beds. If you're going to have to take a cab from the airport to your hotel, you might as well spend a little more money to get to a better location closer to New York. You're arriving early on Friday and have a lot of time to kill. Better to be in an area with shops and restaurants and a view of Manhattan.

If you select this option, you might want to look into arranging car service transportation From the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to Cape Liberty.

Archived