The Brilliant Reflection - A Review of 1-12-2013 Sailing with Photos (Very Long)

librarylady19

hi

can you please tell me the post number of the tuscon grill menu

i saw it and now can't find it

what is Blu Restaurant?? there is so much to learn about a new ship

thank you for info on the drink package - I think I finally understand that, lol

We also stopped outside Cellarmasters to admire the ceramic murals on either side of the entrance:

ArtofReflection025_zps51b1907f.jpg

ArtofReflection038_zps6c8a4633.jpg

It is interesting to note that all the work in the central stairwell is silver-themed and in the forward stairwell is it gold-themed.

A piece from the Constellation's collection, Moon Girl by Dayanita Singh:

b3944c594728dbe1fe25dd2facde6c6e.jpg

We concluded the tour at Faith's favorite photographic work - a truly reflective piece:

ArtofReflection033_zps281fd281.jpg

For those who are interested, other art work is featured in this album:

http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/j322/librarylady19/Celebrity%20Reflection%201-12-2013/Art%20of%20Reflection/

Edited by librarylady19

Love the beer report, Sandi! I actually wrote to Michael Bayley about the state of beer on Celebrity ships. We're not boarding the Sillhouette until another 11 months, so he has plenty of time to fix the problem of stinky hours and a lack of entertainment. Our beer-drinking hubbies deserve no less! ;)

ok lead me where we can continue to help celebrity get this right. I sail in two weeks and my opinion will be heard ... lol at least they are trying

My next stop was the Aqua Spa for my pedicure appointment. I was very pleased with the results.

I just had time for a quick snack at Cafe al Bacio - some little sandwiches and an iced cappucino - before heading to Celebrity Central for the Future Cruise Presentation.

abe1434254778bfd75cf26bc781db7cb.jpg

To reach the Celebrity Central Theatre it is necessary to walk through the "Entertainment Court." This is another woefully inadequate space for any type of activity.

60f546c68180cebcccfc5bb52f33c5d9.jpg

During the day table tennis tournaments were conducted here, so the only way to maneuver around was to practically get in the middle of the game. At other times, dance lessons were held here.

To add to the congestion, there was a group using the conference center throughout the cruise and they often spilled out into the Entertainment Court during their breaks.

The conference room are visible through the door to the left in this photo:

P1010128_zps245a0ccf.jpg

I did not visit this bar; it didn't seem to be open during the day and we generally brought drinks from the Molecular Bar to the Theatre with us.

a00bf462931156ef590395617fd0da91.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

Technical issues....will rescan and post Sunday's Celebrity Today tomorrow.

Thank you. I look forward to something new every day.

I wish you had the MDR menus. We are in concierge class and I'm trying to plan what days to eat in the specialty restaurants.

Edited by MusicalBear

The future cruise presentation was mildly useful; most of the information I was already aware of. They did hand out copies of the Passages form. I did learn that only a $100 deposit is required, a second passenger can be added at the time of booking.

1faae9fd1b242a1bcfae082a17805615.jpg

I did inquire as to when European itineraries would be available for 2014/2015 and was told (as we already knew) March or April. When I asked about the 7 night European itineraries, they hadn't even heard of the concept - and I reminded them that their CEO is one who stated that they would be an option in 2014!!

The Future Cruise Sales office, located on Deck 12, just around the corner from our cabin, always seemed to be busy throughout the cruise.

P1010899_zpsbb053f1d.jpg

That afternoon, we had a couple of activities planned with our Roll Call. I organized the Slot Pull that was held at 2:00 p.m. There were 11 of us participating; we each put in $20, selected a machine and had 20 "pulls" each. No big jackpots - Charlie (golfinesq) did the best with over $120 in earnings - but we ended up with $19 each at the end of it all....and had some fun.

Becky (Lobster129) organized a poker run that started at 3:30 p.m. We met at the Sunset Bar where she kindly distributed nametags and instructions to us all. We went to 5 different bars around the ship, drawing a card at each location and the best poker hand at the last stop won (there was also a lesser cash prize for second). It was a fun time - unfortunately I didn't take any photos; perhaps someone on the RC will post some.

Edited by librarylady19

hi

can you please tell me the post number of the tuscon grill menu

i saw it and now can't find it

what is Blu Restaurant?? there is so much to learn about a new ship

thank you for info on the drink package - I think I finally understand that, lol

Hi baby, Blu is the restaurant for those people who book Aqua Class cabins.

The food pictures Sandi has posted from her dinners (and hubby Scott) were

their meals in Blu.

Edited by Lois R

Scott found some kindred spirits to discuss beer and home brewing in Michaels so I left him there and enjoyed some relaxation at the Persian Gardens. 5 pm was a great time to go there as many people were getting ready for dinner.

Scott also participated in a beer tasting event at Michaels and said it was a lot of fun!

Tonight was the second formal night of the cruise and we were really looking forward to another delicious meal at Blu. they really came through!

Here are the menus:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59368763@N07/6303099551/in/set-72157627905504343/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59368763@N07/6303626138/in/set-72157627905504343/

We started with the soft-shell crab....wonderful:

FoodampDrink037_zpsd96ead2d.jpg

And shared the baked goat cheese appetizer:

FoodampDrink033_zps9c2cbeb9.jpg

We both had the scrumptious spicy plantain corn soup and the lobster.

FoodampDrink034_zps734a3fd9.jpg

The lobster shells were removed tableside by our ever-efficient waitress Paola. I'm sure those who enjoy fresh lobster on a regular basis would not be impressed, but these 2 Midwesterners were satisfied. Paola insisted we needed "surf and turf"and brought the steak entree for us to share.

FoodampDrink030_zpsa95a7c16.jpg

Dessert..sure we ate it, but don't remember what it was!!

We went to the late show of Centre Stage in the Theatre but really didn't enjoy it. it was obviously a favorite of the seniors in the crowd, but the singing and dancing were not to our taste and my least favorite performance of the week.

We stayed for the late night comedy performance of Steve Caouette at 11:45 pm. It was entertaining but wasn't really any more "adult" than his earlier shows. I Expected it to be a bit racier I guess!!

Edited by librarylady19

Hi Sandi,

I've really enjoyed reading your posts and pictures of your Reflection cruise. They have been extremely informative and fun. Thank you for all of your efforts to put this together!

I can't wait to get on this newest addition to Celebrity's fleet in 6 days!

hi

i thought so - thanks for the confirmation

lots and lots of reading to do

have not been on celebrity in a few years

but it is my favorite cruiseline

while it is a pain to fly into fll and then get to miami - i guess it is worth it

hubby and i absolutely hate flying - but will do it for a cruise

we first flew 2 days before 9-11 so made it even worse - and of course the cruise was a "bust" jsut felt so awful for what was going on and just wanted to be home

i ended up driving home from fll to CT - did not want to fly

carol

Day 7 - At Sea

It was definitely a bit cooler this morning and quite windy, not outside pool weather. We enjoyed our last breakfast at Blu and said goodbye to our wonderful waiters Paola and Mustafa. Our wonderful meals and special treatment at Blu really made this a memorable cruise.

I decided to attend the Galley Tour at 10:00 am, having enjoyed a similar tour on Summit. he tour was well organized. Everyone as given a sticker with a number and directed to sit in the MDR.

Andy, the Food and Beverage manager, talked about the scope of the culinary operations and introduced the chefs of the various restaurants to the appreciative crowd.

9acba3409591a6b75b3c188e6b60a921.jpg

Chef German Rijo, head chef, said a few words.

e20aebd42de14087d65d0c63198c7f0e.jpg

Groups were then called by number for tours of one of the galleys. My group was led by Ante, the Maitre D' from Blu.

It was fascinating to have a glimpse at the efficient facilities and the dedicated, hard-working crew that had fed us so well all week.

Dish washing station:

fcdc614d361247ad462df93a51375935.jpg

Dinner prep:

fa989448691a6ebc662c69d7244fea9b.jpg

9c22c0bf50ba8a73d85b26356e5981b8.jpg

Week of menus:

335e206139577d29403ffabfffa5fc95.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

There were stations set up in the MDR where chefs showcased their vegetable carving and sugar skills.

337071df4621e30f87741e42ae766069.jpg

a2fb6dedbb3307a20530b5fe369f6ada.jpg

82278300d47052298fcbc56c1df5c00a.jpg

c8d44ca1eda8d143f4c49897ddfc8967.jpg

This was a well nice event. my only puzzling thing was the scheduling. The Star Chefs Competition was at 11:00 am, so it would not have not have possible to fully enjoy both events.

Edited by librarylady19

I did some browsing at the stores, hoping they had some decent sales, but there wasn't anything I felt compelled to buy other than a magnet.

I was disappointed that there wasn't anything special for the Inaugural season.

I didn't do much shopping on this cruise (I'd bought enough before the cruise!!).

Many of the shops were too high-end for me. There was a Michael Kors store, bit I'm not a fan of his bags. now, if they'd had Kate spade, it would have been a different story.

P1010127_zpsf98f827f.jpg

Interesting store display window:

1cd266b65c0d61517d8ab6b00ed077f3.jpg

After seeing all that food prep during the Galley Tour, I was getting hungry again. We had booked the special lunch in Murano ($25pp) way back on the first day, but decided to cancel this reservation and go to The Porch instead. After the formal night dinner the previous evening, and dinner at Lawn Club Grille coming up later that evening, we felt that it would be too much rich food.

Scott had eaten at The Porch for lunch (without me!!) the day before and really enjoyed it and I was anxious to try it also.

Unlike the Alcoves (more on that later), we thought the Porch was a great addition to the Lawn area. It is a great option for a tasty, casual lunch almost al fresco.

Why did we like the Porch?

First, the venue - it had a very nice view and was warm and sunny as it was mostly enclosed (in really hot weather it might have been like a greenhouse though)

P1010322_zps872b2eb5.jpg

P1010321_zpsee1f146c.jpg

0862954f9fa37a8b1f96835ea59d3532.jpg

Too bad that ugly cabana is in the way.

0da94c322882654077aca6a0ab0e1305.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

Sandi,

Thanks for such a well planned and fun review. I only sailed Reflection for the 3 day teaser in December and want to go back.

However, doing the Summit in 2 weeks and have booked Captain Bob in Saint Maarten based on your review. Looks fun!

Thanks,

Bill

We also had really great service at the Porch. It is run by the same team as Lawn Club Grill, headed by maitre d' Jason.

We felt the food selection and quality was a bargain for $5 pp. many of the items are on display:

494f5a1265c4a8b93596f02929abd935.jpg

Here's the menu:

P1010318_zpsf4190716.jpg

They offer a nice selection of drinks too:

d66da9d73d934313577ea0cbda5a2eb3.jpg

d90be76016eadae5f9c397b7a3b5ef40.jpg

We started with cream of chicken soup and salad:

c0b3df3c8638dbd368b452c63955d699.jpg

And each had a panini - pictured here are the Italiano (left) and the steak paninis - both were very good.

8d2c416daa37a5f6670247f7647a4b41.jpg

We each had pie for dessert - peach for me and pumpkin for Scott.

The Porch was a very popular spot that day, and for good reason!!

192c6e2a4813e043e81630b04b143965.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

We thought we we would enjoy the outdoors a bit more as we would soon be back home dealing with the cold.

We had not spent much time enjoying the lawn on this cruise. Firstly, the lawn seemed to be closed off for maintenance much of the time.

0291fa88e4c9689b62f6d0a7922f470b.jpg

The oversized Adirondack chairs had been roped off every time we walked by and we never saw the hammocks. :(

P1010335.jpg

P1010334.jpg

the Alcoves are just not a good idea in my book. They really make the lawn feel boxed in and spoil the views of the ocean. We only saw them in use 3 or 4 times during the cruise. Hopefully, people will make note of how much they dislike them on their guest surveys.

P1010333.jpg

The side lawn areas were open but seemed so small. We enjoyed a last drink at the Sunset Bar served by the excellent Toobee and watched a game of bocce for a while. We were going to go to the baggo tournament but missed it as it was held on the pavement outside the Art Studio, not on the lawn - huh???

Edited by librarylady19

Hi, Sandi

Do you know till what time the Persian Gardens facility is open?

And those alcoves are just a pain the you know what.

Surely hope that those oversized chairs will not be roped off on our cruise, because we sooo want to make a souvenir photo on that!

I had to LOL at the Painkiller drinks :D

I love that bracelet.

I really like how you get the best from your cruises - you don't miss much, but don't take it all too seriously. That's exactly what we try to do.

Those cabanas look home made! I really don't like that wood and trellis. I'm surprised they don't blow away with one gust of wind.

Porch looks like somewhere I will be spending a lot of time. I find ships interiors to be so dark sometimes; not so much the S class apart from some of the bars. Wonder if they have sun blinds in the porch for hot cruises?

I like the 'eXhausted' lawn notice :cool:

Really enjoying your review and appreciate the time you are taking. I guess it extends the cruise for you in some small way writing about it?

Sandi,

Hi, Louis here. As usual great review and pics, I admire your attention to detail.

If you have a spare five minutes could you email me? I have a question about Captain Bob in St Maarten that I don' want to ask you here.

I had your email but lost it. Mine is ljgmc@comcast.com

Thanks,

Louis

I had to LOL at the Painkiller drinks :D

I love that bracelet.

I really like how you get the best from your cruises - you don't miss much, but don't take it all too seriously. That's exactly what we try to do.

Those cabanas look home made! I really don't like that wood and trellis. I'm surprised they don't blow away with one gust of wind.

Porch looks like somewhere I will be spending a lot of time. I find ships interiors to be so dark sometimes; not so much the S class apart from some of the bars. Wonder if they have sun blinds in the porch for hot cruises?

I like the 'eXhausted' lawn notice :cool:

Really enjoying your review and appreciate the time you are taking. I guess it extends the cruise for you in some small way writing about it?

Thanks again - I enjoy reliving the cruise through the review but don't intend to string it out so long - just super busy at work this last week!!

Here's the link to the jewelry store where I bought the bracelet - it's called the infinity bracelet. Seems well made.

http://www.caravangallery.com/

I didn't see blinds at the Porch; they did have windows that opened though. It was lovely on a "chilly" Caribbean day - might be sweltering if it was 85 degrees though.

Yes, I just abhor the cabanas. Wondered why people were making such a fuss until I saw them for myself. I really don't see how the little extra revenue they bring in can be wiorth all the negative feedback. They are always featured in marketing pieces in the Reflection though. I think we all just need to continue to comment negatively and perhaps they will eventually be removed.

That reminds me of something I forgot to add to my review....

One night, we were walking around the lawn area and came upon a DJ playing on the lawn and people dancing. Cool we thought - looks like fun and we joined in. Almost immediately, a woman told us this was her daughters wedding party and we were crashing! It was pretty embarrassing but in retrospect I was a bit peeved. The lawn had to be roped off from guests but could be used for the right price - tacky Celebrity.

I know Celebrity often holds private functions indoors but didnt expect to see that on the lawn - what's next, the solarium??