The Brilliant Reflection - A Review of 1-12-2013 Sailing with Photos (Very Long)

librarylady19

How much do the jewelry/art classes run?

I Belive they were $20 per class. There were a couple of free ones (such as the bracelet) but not many. WThe dailies that are attached will give you a listing of all the classes offered throughout the week.

Actually, the Sunset Bar was the main reason we switched from Silhouette to Reflection. Once I saw Andreas Depping's amazing photos I knew I had to explore this ship.

I loved the design and decor of the Sunset Bar - purple is my favorite color. i think its a wonderful improvement except for the fact that smoking is allowed on the port side including cigars (that's the case on all X ships I think). Does limit where one can sit if you are bothered by smoke.

We arrived at port at 10:45 am I think. Fortunately not too many other people were as antsy as we were! This was in Miami and prior to the recent issues with customs so it might not be advisable to try this at present.

We love the sunset bar also. It's really one of the best place to sit and lounge and enjoy a cocktail. Peaceful ad quiet and I did not even get bothered by the second hand smoke :)

• 2 months later...

Hi Sandi -

It's been a while since I have posted a note here to tap you for advice or information, but you always have such great information to share. From my previous posts, I had indicated that I was booked in an Aqua Suite (room 2158). Well, recently when the Celebrity website added an option for a "Suite GTY" for much less than I was paying, I decided to roll the dice and change my reservation. When a new room was assigned, I was thrilled to learn I was going to be put back into an Aqua Suite. I am now in Room 2109, which happens to be a room on the angle of the forward starboard hump. I took a look at your spreadsheet for S-class rooms, but this particular room is not listed. I'm just wondering what you may know that would help me to decide to keep this room or consider changing to another available room in this category (if one is available). Pros for me to keep the room is 1) that the deck should be one of those extra large balconies since it is on the hump, 2) the room is closer to many of the Aqua perks, 3) probably lower in foot traffic based on its location being further away from the mid-ship location I was previouly located.

Any thoughts you have (or any other prior passengers on the Reflection) would be greatly appreciated.

Walter

I'd worry a bit about traffic from the spa/elevators and more about noise from sky lounge above coming down the staircase. We were on the same trip as Sandi and had AS 2132. I remember thinking to myself that I really wouldn't want to be in the forward cabins on that hallway especially 2102/2104. Might be a bit better on starboard side and your back a few cabin widths.

I'm sure the balcony would be nice but I think it it were me I'd switch.

You didn't say what sailing so I can't look to see what else might be available.

• 1 month later...
The future cruise presentation was mildly useful; most of the information I was already aware of. They did hand out copies of the Passages form. I did learn that only a $100 deposit is required, a second passenger can be added at the time of booking.

1faae9fd1b242a1bcfae082a17805615.jpg

I did inquire as to when European itineraries would be available for 2014/2015 and was told (as we already knew) March or April. When I asked about the 7 night European itineraries, they hadn't even heard of the concept - and I reminded them that their CEO is one who stated that they would be an option in 2014!!

The Future Cruise Sales office, located on Deck 12, just around the corner from our cabin, always seemed to be busy throughout the cruise.

P1010899_zpsbb053f1d.jpg

That afternoon, we had a couple of activities planned with our Roll Call. I organized the Slot Pull that was held at 2:00 p.m. There were 11 of us participating; we each put in $20, selected a machine and had 20 "pulls" each. No big jackpots - Charlie (golfinesq) did the best with over $120 in earnings - but we ended up with $19 each at the end of it all....and had some fun.

Becky (Lobster129) organized a poker run that started at 3:30 p.m. We met at the Sunset Bar where she kindly distributed nametags and instructions to us all. We went to 5 different bars around the ship, drawing a card at each location and the best poker hand at the last stop won (there was also a lesser cash prize for second). It was a fun time - unfortunately I didn't take any photos; perhaps someone on the RC will post some.

Sandi, many thanks for the review you have done an amazing job. My wife and I are on the Reflection Jan 2014, is there any advantage to booking future cruises while you are on board. Do they offer discounts? Loved all of your photos especially the food at Blu. We booked AQ also because of that restaurant.

This will be our first cruise and we are really psyched.

Thanks for the compliment. I really would love to sail on Reflection again - just not the Caribbean. We have opted for a trip to London and Belgium for our 10th anniversary as we wanted something different.

We purchased a future cruise certificate (passages) for $100 onboard which could be used in lieu if a full deposit and gave $100 OBC also. I think the rules have changed recently though so I would search on CC for current info.

Happy sailing.

Thanks for your helpful review. I was not sure about this ship after summit cruise was cancelled, but now you have convinced me. Love the lawn!

Love all your pics!

I know the Lawn is a topic of much discussion in CC. I like it but felt it was more usua le on the earlier as class shops that doesn't have the cabanas marring the view. It also enjoyed the hot Glass Show more than lawn Club Grill. Sunset bar was a winner hands down.

I made one more visit to the Persian Gardens, completed our Guest Questionnaire and started to think about packing. We had an 11:50 a.m. flight from Ft. Lauderdale and had opted for walk-off disembarkation the next day (the first time we had done this). We received instructions to be at Ensemble Lounge by 6:45 a.m. (that early!!). At least we didn't have to pack before dinner.

Our last meal on the ship (sob!) was our much anticipated dinner at Lawn Club Grill. We had read lots of positive things on CC and also heard from others on our sailing how much they enjoyed their meal so expectations were high.

Here are some photos taken during the day.

P1010326_zpsec9834fa.jpg

Those darn alcoves again....blocking the sea view

P1010325_zps1544c600.jpg

More alcoves!

P1010324_zps54aec945.jpg

P1010323_zpsc090117a.jpg

Our reservation was at 7:30 p.m.

Sandi, thank you so much for the wonderful review. I do have a question about a comment you made about walk-off disembarkation. You said you had never done it before. How was it and did it work well for you? Did you carry your luggage off with you?

Thank you again.

Sandi, thank you so much for the wonderful review. I do have a question about a comment you made about walk-off disembarkation. You said you had never done it before. How was it and did it work well for you? Did you carry your luggage off with you?

Thank you again.

This was the first time we had done self disembark (we had a flight before noon out Of FLL so I was concerned about time) unless the situation has improved I would advise not to do it. The line was very long and there was the inevitable line cutters and whiners (don't know how you would think you could make a 9:00 am flight). I would just book a flight after noon if possible.

We were off the ship and at FLL airport with time to spare but didn't like the long lines or dragging luggage (I don't travel light!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by librarylady19

This was the first time we had done self disembark (we had a flight before noon out Of FLL so I was concerned about time) unless the situation has improved I would advise not to do it. The line was very long and there was the inevitable line cutters and whiners (don't know how you would think you could make a 9:00 am flight). I would just book a flight after noon if possible.

We were off the ship and at FLL airport with time to spare but didn't like the long lines or dragging luggage (I don't travel light!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your response. We have a flight about 2pm and we are long time Celebrity cruisers like you. We have always done everything Celebrity, but for our cruise in March we are going off the Celebrity grid. Our flights are with Southwest and although Southwest can be had now on Cruise Air we chose not to use them, too many restrictions and hard to get info when you call Cruise Air. We are also going out a day early and taking a cab from the airport (FLL) to the Holiday Inn Express on 17th (FLL) the night before (may use the hotel shuttle if it doesn't take too long). I guess we'll then take a cab from the hotel to port. Our trepidation comes with all the crap you have to go through using a ship transfer to the airport after the cruise. You leave you luggage outside the night before, wait for your number to be called, exit the ship, hunt for luggage and THEN the worse part is waiting for your luggage to arrive while you are waiting for it at the airport because it doesn't go with you while you transport to the airport. We waited 45 minutes last time in SJ for our luggage to arrive. I just ended up feeling like it was a cattle call. If we could get off the ship, claim our luggage, catch a cab and get to the airport I would be a happy camper. I hate the thought of ruining a wonderful vacation with all the cattle call after.

I try to make our vacation as hassle free as possible and although we are experienced cruisers we aren't wise in the ins/outs of off the grid stuff. I worry about taking a cab/shuttle to the hotel, but not as much as after the cruise. After the cruise I worry about not being able to find a cab at port to the airport and also worry about having to get off so early that you're waiting at the airport for 6 hours. Some folks have mentioned getting off the ship as late as you can so you don't have hours at the airport. How is that arranged? With Celebrity if something breaks down you are covered and believe me this has happened to us when we were in Europe, Celebrity was great.

My original question after going off on a side bar was if you had to take your luggage with you or if you left it outside your cabin the night before and then just claimed it and then headed to a cab. I don't think I'd want to take our luggage with us all over the place like you mentioned. I would think there is some how a way that you could have it transported off the ship and then claimed. How much easier would that be? Pick it up and off to a cab. I guess they make it difficult so you opt to use the ship transfer. Ugh!

Thank you again for your response and your wonderful review of the Relection. We were on the Eclipse a couple of years ago, but next year we'll be on the Equinox, similar, but not the same.

Most of the our decisions on taking a cab and not a shuttle/transfer is from CC members who have said it so much easier, less time consuming and usually less expensive.

Safe travels.

Hi,

first, Sandi, great, wonderful thread, details, photos, info, kind responses to questions. You're the sort of person that all the newbies, and even the intrepid travelers completely rely on.

I found this tread today as we just paid for our Dec sailing on Reflection. I see the last post, and my husband and I are definitely off the grid travelers, so I can chime in some 2 cents to the queries.

You won't have any trouble getting a taxi. At the airport, the hotel, or the port.

If you like, stay on the ship just as long as possible. We have done this as our flights weren't leaving until the afternoon. We simply stay until there's a Last Call. This is fairly early, around 9 or 9:30. Then we walk off. No lines, few people, few bags waiting to be picked up.

If we fly into MIA, we take a taxi. If we fly into FLL, we take SAS (shuttle, vans, very, very easy. My estimation is that the shuttle option takes just a few minutes longer than a taxi takes. People have reserved and are waiting for pick up). If there are more than two of you, take a taxi. If there are just two of you, and you're going to FLL, consider a shuttle like SAS. (you can google it, the fare is $15 per person).

There is a service called Luggage Valet. It's about $20/pp and it'll be the best $20 you ever spent.

You sign up for it early in the cruise (if you don't get anything about it in your cabin ask at Guest Relations) then a few days before the end you'll get a form to fill out with your airline reservation number and a bunch of other things. You put their special luggage tags on the last night and you don't see your luggage again until you're at your home airport.

You must fly out after 11:30 am on the day the cruise disembarks.

Then , on disembarkation day you can get off leisurely, skip all of the mess of people looking for their luggage and take a cab (there are plenty available) and it's about $20 total to the FLL airport.

Once at the airport you get to skip the luggage drop off lines also!

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/singleColLanding.do?pagename=onboard_outstanding_service

Luggage Valet

Luggage Valet* is a convenient service that helps make your return travels as carefree as your cruise. On the final night of your cruise, you'll receive debarkation instructions, airline boarding passes, luggage tags and baggage claim checks. Simply place your tagged bags outside your stateroom door and we'll do the rest. Your luggage will be taken care of so the next time you see it will be at your final destination airport's baggage claim.

*Available in select departure ports only (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida; Seattle, Washington; San Diego, California; and Seward, Alaska) with select airlines only.

Edited by chamima

Thanks for the compliments. I miss cruising but needed to save our $$ for our trip to London and Belgium next month.

I wholeheartedly agree with your recommendation of SAS Shutttle service. We have used them several times and they are always prompt and courteous.

Edited by librarylady19

There is a service called Luggage Valet. It's about $20/pp and it'll be the best $20 you ever spent.

You sign up for it early in the cruise (if you don't get anything about it in your cabin ask at Guest Relations) then a few days before the end you'll get a form to fill out with your airline reservation number and a bunch of other things. You put their special luggage tags on the last night and you don't see your luggage again until you're at your home airport.

You must fly out after 11:30 am on the day the cruise disembarks.

Then , on disembarkation day you can get off leisurely, skip all of the mess of people looking for their luggage and take a cab (there are plenty available) and it's about $20 total to the FLL airport.

Once at the airport you get to skip the luggage drop off lines also!

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/singleColLanding.do?pagename=onboard_outstanding_service

Luggage Valet

Luggage Valet* is a convenient service that helps make your return travels as carefree as your cruise. On the final night of your cruise, you'll receive debarkation instructions, airline boarding passes, luggage tags and baggage claim checks. Simply place your tagged bags outside your stateroom door and we'll do the rest. Your luggage will be taken care of so the next time you see it will be at your final destination airport's baggage claim.

*Available in select departure ports only (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida; Seattle, Washington; San Diego, California; and Seward, Alaska) with select airlines only.

Thank you so much for this information. I had heard about Luggage Valet, but completely forgot about it. Now I wonder if Southwest will be on the list of selected airlines. Wow, this sure would make things easier.

I'll look into SAS, but I thought it would be just as easy to get a cab. I guess if you have something prearranged it would be quicker.

Again, thank you!!!!

Librarylady19,

Thanks so much for a great cruise review. I had big plans for this morning which fell by the wayside as I could not tear myself away from it. The pictures just made the entire read. I have been curious about Reflection and have heard mixed reviews from my TA who recommends against it because of the additional passengers. I am glad to know that your experience did not seem to be adversely impacted. So we may take another look at that ship!

As to the luggage valet, I used it on my recent Alaska cruise on Solstice...as someone else posted it is the best $20 you will spend on your holiday. I am planning to use it in FLL our November TA concludes. My flight is at 11:50AM so I should be in good shape.

Thanks again and hope to sail with you on a future voyage.

Cheers...

Hi Sandi,

What time does Reflection observe - US EST or do they adopt Atlantic Standard Time underway? I'm looking at an excursion on ST. Thomas and want to make sure we have the right timing. (I expect EST all the way on ship...)

What an AWESOME blessing this thread is!

Thanks!

Tim

Sandi, thank you for the extremely informative Reflection review. I learned the things I needed to know about Qsine, about the drink package, and had a reminder about how little storage there was on our 10 day cruise on Solstice in 2010. I've shared this link with my fellow cruisers for the November sail off. Thanks, again!