Sick last night of the cruise...Liberty

We enjoyed a nice cruise on Liberty of the Seas last week on the five day to Labadee and Falmouth. Most everything was pretty good through the cruise, cabin was nice, staff seemed happy and easy to deal with, lots to do on this big old ship. I was a little put off by the smell of cigarette smoke through most of the ship, caused by lounges and bars that are open to the public decks and allow smoking. We had our first rear facing cabin, and it was very nice, with a huge balcony and a great view of the water and ships wake and at times a good amount of 'movement' while underway.

We ate in both of the premium restaurants and the main dining room, and enjoyed it all, some more than others. We saw most of the shows, and enjoyed them too. Then, Friday night after dinner, we went back to the cabin for a little while, and then to see Saturday Night Fever (which I thought was kind of so-so) and back to the cabin at 11pm or so. Just after that, my wife became VERY ILL. Vomiting and all the rest, lasted the entire night, and into the morning. We were already packed, so we went down to debarkation as early as we could, carrying our bags and got off the ship rather quickly. Passport control was a breeze, and we were out waiting for our ride a half hour after leaving the room. Got the shuttle back to the hotel and picked up our car and drove the two+ hours home, with several stops for bathrooms along the way.

We are VERY careful to wash hands and sanitize when we are on the ship. I took a tube of Clorox Wipes into the cabin and wiped everything down when we arrived. This had to be a food borne bug, probably from the last nights dinner, or lunch on Friday in the buffet restaurant, but I cannot be sure. My wife is recovering after spending all day in bed after we arrived home, and most of the day yesterday as well. We ONLY ate on the ship, we did NOT have anything to eat in Falmouth on shore.

I contacted the RCI contact line with an email and received a call on the phone asking questions about my wife's illness within 30 minutes or so, and a follow up call today. They sound concerned, but can offer no solution to her illness.

Be careful you cruisers out there! There is illness waiting even if you are careful with what you touch and handle.

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL

If it had been food born it might have been as simple as a knife that touched raw chicken and then came in contact with her something she ate.

I hope she feels better soon. This happened to our son almost a year ago after eating at a restaurant. It took him a few days to feel better, but for him it was only a stomach bug as well.

Send her our best wishes,

Andrew

I'm sorry her vacation ended like that. It could be a food borne thing but it still could be a virus. Just bc you are careful and use disinfectant doesn't mean you can't get sick. Either way I hope she is ok now.

Last year I was traveling from Paris to Washington DC on Air France and shortly after my meal I fainted! so there was definitely something wrong with my meal. I even had to vomit afterwards! it was the first time in my life this happened to me. I was feeling the whole flight miserable.

It is also flu and stomach bug season . I work in a school and EVRYONE staff and kiddos are gettign ill. Hope you all feel better soon. But beware it could just be in the air. It is really bad this year!! My coworker had her 20 yr old son in the ER with the stomach bug. He was so badly dehydrated from it . They told her you are actually contagious for up to 10 days from when you are exposed ( stomach bug ) to when symptoms show. How crazy is that!! So if I am out shopping and some one is coughing or sneezes and does not even know they are exposing me and then I get on the ship I could be exposing you before I even get "sick" so now I get off the ship and get sick and I think " it was from the ship". Might have been but could have been just a bug. Either way it has been very bad. My coworker ended up in the ER herself a week later.

Sorry your wife was sick but my bet would not be on a food borne illness but rather Noro virus. The one and only time I met Mr. Noro was a time I was extremely careful about washing my hands and touching things so you can't always count on that. It's almost impossible not to come in contact with it somewhere even if we feel we are being careful.

This had to be a food borne bug, probably from the last nights dinner, or lunch on Friday in the buffet restaurant, but I cannot be sure....

I am sorry she was ill :( , however no, it does not have to be a food borne illness.

I contacted the RCI contact line with an email and received a call on the phone asking questions about my wife's illness within 30 minutes or so, and a follow up call today. They sound concerned, but can offer no solution to her illness.

Tom, I'm not sure what you are asking... are you looking for compensation, or just sharing?

No matter how diligent you are about hand washing, being careful about touching surfaces, especially in public spaces, disinfecting your cabin, etc., at this time of year there are viral bugs out there just waiting to get you. We are sailing in a few weeks, the first time ever in February, and I am feeling very stressed about it. I'm packing Clorox wipes, along with my hand sanitizer, and will be saying a small prayer for good health for my DH and me for our trip!

To OP, I hope you and your wife are both well now.

Something like this happened to me the first full day on the Freedom. I was down for the count with a nasty stomach bug. I could only associate it with the nasty nasty people in the windjammer touching the tongs to get their food, so if you see a guy using his nice somewhat green napkin to hold the tongs in the windjammer that me:) I would watch people sneeze in their hands, touch the tongs, rub their eyes, touch the tongs. Just be smart and you will be ok.

Sorry for any mistakes, typed from my smart phone.

Tom,

I was on the Liberty in November and was also very sick the last day of the cruise. We went to Cozumel so I am not sure where I got sick but the doctor said it was most likely Mexico and there are lots of similar cases that she sees. I was sick for one week and lost a lot of weight.

Hope your wife is feeling fine.

The cruise was fun and I am going again next month. :) But not to Cozumel this time.

Something like this happened to me the first full day on the Freedom. I was down for the count with a nasty stomach bug. I could only associate it with the nasty nasty people in the windjammer touching the tongs to get their food, so if you see a guy using his nice somewhat green napkin to hold the tongs in the windjammer that me:) I would watch people sneeze in their hands, touch the tongs, rub their eyes, touch the tongs. Just be smart and you will be ok.

Sorry for any mistakes, typed from my smart phone.

If you got sick on the first full day, it's just as likely you picked it up before you boarded.

Typically, if someone gets that violently sick within an hour or so after eating, it's the body's way of rejecting that food. So I'm thinking she was the victim of some kind of food reaction. It's often referred to as "dumping"... as the body is trying to dump out what caused the reaction.

And ironically, not everything that makes one person sick will affect another the same way. I was sick like this on the last day of a short vacation to Cancun years ago. No one else in my group was sick, but many had eaten/drank the same things.

I'm sorry this happened to your wife... sounds like a pretty bad ending to an otherwise fun cruise :(. I hope she's feeling better now.

Ann

Archived