Just turned down the upgrade fairy - did I make a mistake?

MrsMick1

We sail on a 4 day cruise aboard Ecstasy on Thursday, and are currently booked in a balcony cabin. Got a call this afternoon offering a grand suite on the same deck for an additional $380. We had already booked FTTF, which we could have canceled, making the net charge an additional $330.

We quickly discussed it and decided to pass. This is our first cruise ever, and we were afraid we'd be spoiled for the future if we decide to cruise again! But now I'm wondering if we should have done it, since it would have been quite something, I'm sure.

I'm sure we'll have a great time in the cabin we booked, but it was kind of fun to get the call!

What is 330 dollars in the long run....it's your vacation! Live it up! You never know..you might never take a cruise again! IMHO ...you made a mistake. I would have jumped all over it. But, too late now. Have fun on your cruise none the less.

You didnt make a mistake at all! Suites on Carnival dont have a lot of extra amenities. They have extra space, but not perks. So you saved yourself 380.00, and made a good choice. Enjoy your balcony cabin, and have a great cruise.:)

I'm confused. You said you turned down the Upgrade Fairy. :confused:

Sounds to me more like the Upsell Troll.

$380 more for a Fantasy-class suite is NOT worth it.

Just an FYI that was the upsell Fairy. Since you passed on that one the upgrade Fairy could still call and you would then get your suite at no additional charge. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. IMHO...for a 4 day cruise I would have passed as well.

I cruised the Ecstasy last February..... Also got the upsell call and also turned it down. You should experience the whole ship and not stay in your cabin on the first cruise anyway. I really liked the Ecstasy and think it's a good choice for your first cruise. Is one of your stops at Half Moon Cay? If so, it's a beautiful stop. have fun in your balcony and use the $380 for other things.

We sail on a 4 day cruise aboard Ecstasy on Thursday, and are currently booked in a balcony cabin. Got a call this afternoon offering a grand suite on the same deck for an additional $380. We had already booked FTTF, which we could have canceled, making the net charge an additional $330.

We quickly discussed it and decided to pass. This is our first cruise ever, and we were afraid we'd be spoiled for the future if we decide to cruise again! But now I'm wondering if we should have done it, since it would have been quite something, I'm sure.

I'm sure we'll have a great time in the cabin we booked, but it was kind of fun to get the call!

I would have stuck with the balcony as well.

Sounds to me more like the Upsell Troll.

I love it ..."the upsell troll"!! It's so true!

Nine times out of ten I read about these upsell deals and they are crap. Basically a good sales person from Carnival hoping to catch you off guard and by surprise and offer you this "great deal", when in fact it usually isn't especially if you take the time to research it. They usually want you to act quick so you don't have time to research and realize it's a lousy deal.

Thanks for weighing in, all of you. Glad I trusted my gut. More money in our pockets to spend on frosty drinks can't be a bad thing, right?

We know that Ecstasy is a smaller, older ship, but for our first go at cruising we figured the short itinerary was a good "taste" for us. (Plus it fit into a timeline where we got crazy cheap airfare to get down there!) Hope to give you a positive review when we're back!

That much money for only a 4 night is too much. You did the right thing especially since it’s your first cruise. You can’t start off with the best because your expectations will be that high all the time. Start low and work your way up and the balcony is no way near low.

Archived