What is on your bucket list?

cbb

This was our second trip to MP so the Celebrity X tour was sufficient for us and very comfortable ( much more so than our first visit in 1988).

The altitude issue is to be taken seriously if one has any serious underlining conditions (emphysema, etc). We had a gentleman who turned snow white upon deplaning in Cusco and spent the entire stay there in the hospital and was almost not allowed to leave with us due to his poor condition (but fortunately he did).

The hotel offers oxygen piped into the room. It's worth it if only for a better night's sleep (insomnia is part of altitude illness complex).

Anyone in reasonably good health should be fine but needs to take it easy for a day or two. Not just MP itself but the entire area is a very special place!

Enjoy!

We just got back from the Celebrity Expedition.

Definitely a bucket list thing -- we did the MP tour with Celebrity too -- though many people say do it on your own cheaper -- it was very well organized and first class all the way.

We actually didn't do it on our own because it was cheaper - think we spent about the same amount, though we had an extra night. You can do it cheaper if you take the Vistadome both ways, take large group tours, and stay in cheaper hotels, but we didn't do that.

You must have had a great time doing the X add-on by yourselves; that's a real bargain then, IMO. I have never heard anything negative about the way X runs this trip - and truth be told, we copied most of our itinerary from theirs. The hotels that they use are first-class (we saw the X tour group at Monasterio, while we were there).

The major reason that we did it on our own was to have more time in MP. If X would include a night at MP, their itinerary would be perfect! For us, the effort of going all the way to MP would be a huge disappointment if we ended up spending just a few hours there - but that's because we love to hike, and we couldn't imagine leaving MP without trying to hike every trail there... We climbed to the Inca bridge, walked up (almost) to the sun gate, and climbed Huayna Picchu. We wouldn't have been happy without doing those hikes, so the X tour wouldn't have done that for us. As it was, we had to forcibly extricate each other out of the site on day 2 in time to make our train back to Cusco...:(

We returned a few days ago after our Regatta cruise from Miami to Lima and our own arranged trip to Machu Picchu. While we were only in the region for two nights our total cost was less than $500 per person.

Open a British Airways credit card for the points and then use 9,000 points for a roundtrip on LAN from Lima to Cusco. This saved us about $350 per person.

We had a driver/guide meet us in Cusco and we had a 7 hour guided trip to Ollantaymbo where we stayed at the hotel right on the train platform. The next day we went to MP and our guide met us there. We spent the day and then back to the hotel in Ollantaymbo. The last day was a 6 hour guided trip back to Cusco with multiple stops including the Ollantaymbo ruins and Moray. The trip was spectacular.

Unless you are really physically fit there is no easy way to get in shape for the high altitude. We are not fit and it was tough but manageable. We could not explore every inch of MP as there are only so many steps we could navigate but we saw most of it. Moray in the Cusco region is at a significantly higher elevation and it was tough.

We returned a few days ago after our Regatta cruise from Miami to Lima and our own arranged trip to Machu Picchu. While we were only in the region for two nights our total cost was less than $500 per person.

Open a British Airways credit card for the points and then use 9,000 points for a roundtrip on LAN from Lima to Cusco. This saved us about $350 per person.

We had a driver/guide meet us in Cusco and we had a 7 hour guided trip to Ollantaymbo where we stayed at the hotel right on the train platform. The next day we went to MP and our guide met us there. We spent the day and then back to the hotel in Ollantaymbo. The last day was a 6 hour guided trip back to Cusco with multiple stops including the Ollantaymbo ruins and Moray. The trip was spectacular.

Unless you are really physically fit there is no easy way to get in shape for the high altitude. We are not fit and it was tough but manageable. We could not explore every inch of MP as there are only so many steps we could navigate but we saw most of it. Moray in the Cusco region is at a significantly higher elevation and it was tough.

Could you share some additional details of how you were able to tour the Cuzco/MP area for less that $500 person?

How did you make contact with your guide and what did he charge for his services. Which hotels did you stay at and for how long?

What were your obligations to British Airways in return for enough point to cover the Lima/Cuzco roundtrip airfare?

Do you think your driver/guide would be willing to add on a tour of Lake Titicca to the itinerary?

We went on a week's cruise in the Galapagos with the Lindblad (now merged with National Geographic) Polaris. This was followed by a one week extension in Peru. We flew to Lima and stayed in the Miraflores section and then flew to Cuzco. We were taken directly to the Valley of the Incas for 2 nights, which is a lower altitude than Cuzco and helped us adjust, although my husband still had some altitude sickness. We then went to Machu Picchu and stayed in the Sanctuary Lodge, right by the entrance. It is the only hotel by the entrance - everybody else stays at Aqua Calientes, which is a busride down the hill. As a result, we had a private sunset and sunrise over the ruins, which was amazing.

We then went by train to Cuzco and stayed at the Hotel Monasterio, which was amazing - a converted monastery. We then flew back to Lima for an overnight before flying back to Miami.

All this was arranged by Lindblad and although extremely expensive, was probably the most amazing trip of our lives. I guess I should not write this on an Oceania board, but as they don't have a small ship, which is necessary for the Galapagos, they are not being overlooked.

What were your obligations to British Airways in return for enough point to cover the Lima/Cuzco roundtrip airfare?

Here is the offer from Chase and BA:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/CREDIT-CARDS/public/en_us?openxzoneid=594&openxcampaign=hpdouble&openxbanner=14332&openxtype=click

Your minimal obligation is to spend $1000 in first 3 months - not very hard to do, IMO. If you spend more you'll get more BA Avios.

I use my Avios for much more expensive international business awards rather than "domestic" flights but occasionally they can be a good bargain for short flights as well (depending on price).

YMMV

• 1 month later...
Yes, you can arrange it all (Cusco, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu) on your own, pretty much by e-mail and the web. We did this for our Nov 2011 Galapagos cruise; it's not too difficult. The ships' tours usually only give you one day in MP which ends up being 2-3 hours; that's a travesty IMO.

I don't want to take this thread OT with all of the gory details about how you book everything; if you're interested in how we did it, contact me through my gmail address which is jphafnermd. I have a long e-mail response that I've shared with others, so it will be easy to cut and paste to send to you.

Its totaly possible for the average person to book a rt flight, tour hotel and cabs, admission, guides , for under$ 900 pp. It is quite easy

However all is not well in Peru, and the US has issued travel warnings of the highest order... forbiding travel by US Govt employees and their families to Cusco and Machu Picchu due to terrorist activites by the "Shing Path" focused on American. Several commanders of the terror group have promised revenge for the recent capture of some of their leaders and trials are starting on some . This raises the stakes to where Oceaina may not want to risk it..or their insurance precluded it.

I was going next year... not now. I would check the State Depts warnings and prohibitions... they dont joke

The world is a vey changed place and what was once great is today no so. With so many great places in the world why push it

I agree that now is not the time to visit M P. We are going to delay that trip for a couple of years and see if things change. For sure, we won't be doing it DIY; Celebrity looks good, perhaps with the Galapagos.

We're actually doing an internal vacation this year, spending a month in Glacier, Yellowstone & Teton National Parks--others must be doing the same thing because the great lodges have been booked up for ages. We, thankfully, made our reservations last year.

We're tired of flying and arbitrary plane changes/cancellations and it's been 20 years since we were last in Glacier so we're pretty psyched about this trip!

I agree that now is not the time to visit M P. We are going to delay that trip for a couple of years and see if things change. For sure, we won't be doing it DIY; Celebrity looks good, perhaps with the Galapagos.

We're actually doing an internal vacation this year, spending a month in Glacier, Yellowstone & Teton National Parks--others must be doing the same thing because the great lodges have been booked up for ages. We, thankfully, made our reservations last year.

We're tired of flying and arbitrary plane changes/cancellations and it's been 20 years since we were last in Glacier so we're pretty psyched about this trip!

Many of the Glaciers have gone..however 250 miles to the west in Mount Rainier which has the most glaciers in the US outside Alaska.

Too North Cascade NP and Lake Ross/ and Lake Ross Lodge ( a floating hotel) might also excite. I used to be a Park Ranger at Rainier for several years.

Yes, we love that whole area. Stayed at one of the cabins in Olympic Nat Park-beautiful spot at Crescent Lake.

Did not have a reservation at Rainier but said if they had one we'd spend the night. Not only did we get a room but Rainier popped out of the clouds 5 minutes after we walked into our room and stayed out for hours---awesome!

Another time Mr Wonderful was at a meeting at a Big Company in the Seattle area when the corporate guy waved at the window and said...."sometimes I even get to see Rainier" (having pots of $ doesn't always get you a view!!)

Don't know about the floating hotel; Mr Wonderful gets motion sick just watching the ocean!!

For any Canadians considering Cuzco and Machu Pichu, our Foreign Affairs department advises "exercising a high degree of caution" but excludes these specific areas. We're already committed with flights and tours so unless something more serious comes along between now and May 6th, looks like we're on our way.

http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/peru

Not answering anyone in particular here ...

We don't have a bucket list. We see an itinerary we like, we go. We've been many places but certainly not most places.

When we went to the Galapagos Islands in 1989 we booked a tour up into the Andes through a local travel agency. I don't know if they still exist after so many years but we found them pre-internet. (At least for us, I didn't go online until 1996.)

So it would seem to me that it's feasible to find private tours to Machu Picchu and etc these days. Especially with the recommendations that have been posted already.

As for the Pacific Northwest, we're headed there in June with Danish friends who love to see the U.S. and go wherever I lead them. This time we will fly to Seattle, go to Olympic National Park, then to Victoria, and from there back to the U.S. via the San Juans. At the end of the trip we'll do Rainier and Mt. St. Helens.

We have been through this part of the world a number of times but for our friends it will be brand new.

I was mildly surprised to discover that the cabins we'll be staying at just outside of Rainier have no cell service, no GPS ... What is this! I have to read a MAP to get there?

Mura

Not answering anyone in particular here ...

We don't have a bucket list. We see an itinerary we like, we go. We've been many places but certainly not most places.

When we went to the Galapagos Islands in 1989 we booked a tour up into I was mildly surprised to discover that the cabins we'll be staying at just outside of Rainier have no cell service, no GPS ... What is this! I have to read a MAP to get there?

Mura

Be suprised too that their is also no TV or radio reception in the park. GPS except on the upper mountain above 5000 ft will get you into trouble. It will take you on old defunct logging roads that dead end.

One reason is for this lapse in the dependent tech is the extreme altitude changes, deep valleys that are so deep and steep that GPS wont work at their botoms. So get a compass, and a real map it will be worthwhile.

Too expect snows to linger at Paradise and Sunrise till mid July. Flowers dont come out till end of July to mid August. I suggest the hike from Paradise to Panaroama point.. astounding in every respect.

Like Mura concept for a bucket list I share... I tend to keep my thoughts open as to what is good to see and also wise to see. ( I ruled out Pakistan, Yemen and pretty much all of Africa. for those reasons)

My bucket list is rather simple: Today and tomorrow and enjoying each and every day , hour, and min where ever I am, as a guift from God.:rolleyes:

I like your philosophy.

We have been to Ranier before but long enough ago that no one had cell phones or GPS gizmos. Don't worry, we don't intend to drive off on any untended roads!

Mura

When our bodies were younger our favorite way to see our national parks was backpacking. Our little one began with a mile "hike" at age 2! Carried teddy bear, MMs, and the tent stakes.

We have hiked most of the National Parks long before there was GPS and we relied on a map and compass!

Favorite place to camp was on the banks of Redwood Creek and also at Bright Angel campground in Grand Canyon. (although we do like to tell the story of awakening in Yellowstone and seeing 2 very mature elk still asleep not very far away from our tent; they have gone down in our family history as "the guard elk."

Now, we just day hike and retire to the lovely mattress!

This is a really "fun" thread!

Not much left on my list - Spitzbergen and also a Black Sea cruise. I was sorely tempted by a Silversea cruise to the former which is scheduled for summer 2014 but due to other plans and the cost of the cruise decided not to do it.

Otherwise my list contains Riviera again and again (or Marina for that matter!) and Regent's new ship whenever she actually materialises!!

Its totally possible for the average person to book a rt flight, tour hotel and cabs, admission, guides , for under$ 900 pp. It is quite easy

We considered doing the MP tour on our own, but when we discovered that we could get a 10-day tour, including Lake Titicaca, for $1975 pp with "Escaped from Latin America" -- a well regarded tour operator according to reviews on TripAdvisor -- we opted for a comprehensive, fully guided tour package. Transfers from the airport to our hotel in Lima and to our Oceania Regatta cruise in Callao are included in the price.

• 2 weeks later...

Antarctica, a safari, Machu Picchu, and Australia are on our bucket list. My husband has been to 146 countries so far and I've been to 56 - i have alot of catching up to do though many of his were work-related trips so he didn't get to sightsee as much as he would have liked. Visited Black Sea last summer and Baltics summer before last - both had been on our bucket list and they didn't disappoint.

Archived