Tips

Akmom&dad2cl

We are taking our first cruise march 31 2013, on the Norwegian dawn. I have been reading up and trying to get helpful tips. I read that we are supposed to carry money for tips for the crew personnel. But I read on ncl site they will charge your card for that. Confused, please help.

You have the following automatic gratuities added to your onboard account:

How much is the charge?Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

Are service charges across the board for all guests?All guests 3 years or older.

How do I prepay my service charges?

Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?

They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Why would I prepay my service charges?The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

You can also tip above that amount. From NCL's webpage:

What about Tipping?

Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for good service. However, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. For guests purchasing spa treatments the recommended gratuity is 18 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

The gratuities that are charged to your on-board account cover the basics. If you use room service or have special requests of other crew members it is nice to show your appreciation by way of a tip.

For example, I spend most of my sea days on the lido deck near the pool. On the very first sea day I will use one bar staff member and ask that my bucket of beer be delivered with only one beer opened. I also let him/her know that there is no need to ask me repeatedly if I need anything, I will get their attention. If they follow my requests very well, when I leave the Lido for the day I tip an extra $10 cash. The next time on Lido the server from the prior day usually greets me by name and takes care of me in the same manner.

You may also need tips for port visits depending on your plans. Enjoy your cruise.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

There is no need to carry cash around with you on the ship. Any additional tipping that isn't covered by the imposed daily charge is traditionally done on the last night of the cruise. (if you find you want to tip someone more than what the standard tip amount is...)

We pay the tips on our shipboard account.

We tip cashto others not included in the tip pool- kid counselors, room service, masseuse, etc.

Usually a tip of 15% is added onto any beverage purchase.

If you go to the pay-extra specialty restaurants, tipping is not necessary as its included in your daily service charge. However you may tip a little extra if they really went beyond your expectations. We do that immediately after the meal cause the waitstaff rotates around the ship.

Thanks for the help. And what exactly is the roll call for?

A roll call is a thread started by a passenger like you who is sailing on the same cruise you are going on. It's just an informal way to exchange information, tips, etc. with other passengers on the same cruise who "join the roll call." You can post or not, or just read what others post. It's up to you.

Usually the person who starts the roll call thread also arranges a "Meet & Mingle" get together on the cruise. It's for people who have been chatting on the roll call thread to actually get together and meet one another.

Hope this helps.

Archived